My top 50 computer games of all time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much time on hands.!!
    I've not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that don't work!
    Dave Burnett

Comment

Wizball...

Why?

Comment

I remember being shocked at just how good the graphics were on star wing when I first played it. Found it so difficult though, would love giving it another go. Red alert 2 was great. You missed out total annihilation!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Broadsword1976 View Post
          Surprised not to see COD4 or Tekken 3 not on the list but each to their own
          I considered COD4, it was a pretty good game, the singleplayer was enjoyable. I found the multiplayer a bit fast paced and well... COD like. Infact thinking back, the bit where you go back in time to pypriat to blow that guys arm off with your sniper rifle dressed in gillie suits with that scottish guy was awesome, to me, that small section alone was better then the rest of the game.

Originally posted by waba View Post
          I remember being shocked at just how good the graphics were on star wing when I first played it. Found it so difficult though, would love giving it another go. Red alert 2 was great. You missed out total annihilation!
          Again, considered.

There is a reason this didn't make it.

I remember originally playing it, and I loved it, but I used to try to put on the huge sized maps, and put the unit count up to the max and add several AI players just to get some awesome huge scale fights, and it run like **** on my PC which I put down to my PC at the time.

Maybe 3-4 years ago I went back to it, with my (at the time) new PC and tried to do the same, but the game still ran like ****... which leads me to believe the game just isnt programmed particularly well to handle that, which is a shame. So for that reason alone it didn't make the list.
          GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Total annihilation was rewritten by Linux people and there was an open source version released - used to play online on it a few years ago and it could support loads of people and units, was good fun! Time crisis on the PlayStation was great when you had the gun console. Metal gear solid too...

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by waba View Post
              TTime crisis on the PlayStation was great when you had the gun console. Metal gear solid too...
              Both considered, Time Crisis was good fun and I did own it with the guns, but it got old really quickly after a few hours so for me, nah....

MEtal Gear Solid sooooooooo nearly made it, was a very good game, I had a mental war with myself to put it in or not. In the end, it just didn't stick in my mind as much as some of the others the only way I can explain that.
              GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

I like the list - a lot of effort has gone in to it! I'd probably have put something like Discworld or DOTT in there too. They were amazing games. I'd probably have put Wing Commander in there as well, as that was my first 'real' PC game..

Originally posted by coiler
                Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Originally posted by heavywater View Post
                  Wizball...

Why?
                  C64 opening music, by the legendary Martin Galway. It deserves to be on the list for that alone. Were you a spectrum or Amstrad peasant or something? I remember the Amstrad version didn't scroll, you flicked screen when you hit the edge making it basically terrible. As for the spectrum version.. well, let's not go there.

Good list, although mine would be quite different I appreciate the effort involved!

I agree there were better C64 games than Wizball though, I think Paradroid was probably my favourite. However 2-player mode on wizball was cool.

Comment

Well what are we now, 7-8 months since I wrote this.

One thing I would change now is to add Fallout 4 in there somewhere.

I already have Fallout New Vegas and the orignal 2, and I had played through FO4 once at the time of writing that and didn't include it for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, there never used to be a Hardcore mode, or Survival mode as it is now known in FO4. That alone really agrovated me. I love having the added consideration of food/water and sleep to me that adds a whole other layer of depth to these games. Secondly my graphics cards were aging a bit the first play through, so I had most graphics options on medium.

The second time through which I have done recently with my nvidia 1070, whacked everything up to max and really played it through thoroughly, went round exploring everything and with the addition of having Survival mode now and lots of modding options really made the game for me. I'm thinking about firing it up for a 3rd playthrough soon as at the moment I am on a dry spell with games, clutching on with Elite Dangerous for a bit but I can see myself hitting the wall with that again pretty quickly.
                    GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Want to play through fo4 again now that I've had a lengthy break since I last played, and hard mode is available.

Not sure if I should wait until I get a PC upgrade as I've always ran it on medium settings with an older graphics card.

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk
                      "They're gonna find out
                      I don't know who they are or what they're gonna find out
                      But they're gonna find out
                      And it's gonna be over real quick"

Comment

squad has made it into my top all time games this past 6 months or so.
                        "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                        Plato

Comment

Originally posted by luke22 View Post
                          squad has made it into my top all time games this past 6 months or so.
                          Yeah one of my mates is raving on about that one, might look in to it.
                          GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

play it with him, who you play with is the most important part
                            "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                            Plato

Comment

So what, heading towards 3 years of writing that, as previously mentioned Fallout 4 definitely would be in there, Rocket League also.

Other pretty much as a said about gaming coming to a head, I do still play games now and then but less and less often going forward.
                              GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Working...
                              X