• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUDFORCE
    started a topic Behind Blue Eyes

Behind Blue Eyes

Very rarely I ever favour the cover.

But this one has got me stumped.

Obviously love the original by The Who, its brash and meaty, and lets face it, they wrote the song, so all credit to them.

But Limp Bizkit did a damn good cover, it's a little spooky and cold, which fits the theme and lyrics of the tune.

• Smellyferret
    replied
    Originally posted by cold fusion View Post
    So you are just counting live versions and remixes? The thing with Trent is he has a habit of remixing his material more than the average dance producer. I think it's fair to say when people talk about Hurt they're referring to his original track rather than the umpteen self-made re-imaginations that exist purely on live and remix albums (of which I do have a few, but they seldom equal his original works let alone surpass them).

His Bowie duets were particularly poor in my opinion. Bowie's and Trent's style didn't really gel. I think that's one of those gigs that was better experienced than listened to again after the event.
    I like I'm afraid of Americans , but agree on a lot of the other stuff he did with Bowie.. not the greatest!

The versions of hurt I linked are the ones released (which is what I thought you were asking initially! )
    And yeah the remix albums were not the greatest either, but I think they were mainly done to fulfill record deals.

Leave a comment:

• omega
    replied
    Just saw the end of Season 2 of Rick and Morty and have some new feels for the original NiN version of Hurt

Leave a comment:

• cold fusion
    replied
    Originally posted by Smellyferret View Post
    There are a few versions officially released:
    http://www.nin.wiki/Hurt_(song)

I like the live ones best, when Trent nails the piano/keyboard that for me is amazing.
    I also like the Cash version, he nailed the vocals and also re purposed the meaning to link with the end of his life, which even Trent has said was great.

The one above is probably one of my favourites, but I do see NiN every tour... normally multiple times... so I fully admit there may be bias in my opinion! :O
    So you are just counting live versions and remixes? The thing with Trent is he has a habit of remixing his material more than the average dance producer. I think it's fair to say when people talk about Hurt they're referring to his original track rather than the umpteen self-made re-imaginations that exist purely on live and remix albums (of which I do have a few, but they seldom equal his original works let alone surpass them).

His Bowie duets were particularly poor in my opinion. Bowie's and Trent's style didn't really gel. I think that's one of those gigs that was better experienced than listened to again after the event.

Leave a comment:

• Smellyferret
    replied
    Cash's version is helped by the fact that, as a listener, you know it's his final song. It makes it feel far more emotive and a little autobiographical (with help from the music video) too.

@Smellyferret: not sure what you mean by which NIN version. He only released one single didn't he? Or are you counting remixes and live versions?
    There are a few versions officially released:
    http://www.nin.wiki/Hurt_(song)

I like the live ones best, when Trent nails the piano/keyboard that for me is amazing.
    I also like the Cash version, he nailed the vocals and also re purposed the meaning to link with the end of his life, which even Trent has said was great.

The one above is probably one of my favourites, but I do see NiN every tour... normally multiple times... so I fully admit there may be bias in my opinion! :O

Leave a comment:

• cruciate
    replied
    While this has derailed into a songs that are as good as the original thread, I'll chip in with the classic Simon and Garfunkel song Sound of Silence.
    The Disturbed version, that I believe was used for gears of war, is really very good. One of my favourite songs ever, and I feel very strongly about people covering songs, especially Simon and Garfunkel.

Leave a comment:

• BUDFORCE
    replied
    Originally posted by BigIan88 View Post
    I also prefer Metallica's version of 'Whiskey in the jar'.

Leave a comment:

• cruciate
    replied
    Originally posted by BigIan88 View Post
    I actually prefer Leona Lewis' version of 'Run' to Snow Patrols too.
    Whaaaa???

Go to your room and think about what you just said.

Leave a comment:

• niceguyrichy
    replied
    Hendrix's version of All Along The Watchtower is waaaay better than Dylan's

Leave a comment:

• luke22
    replied
    Cash's version is helped by the fact that, as a listener, you know it's his final song. It makes it feel far more emotive and a little autobiographical (with help from the music video) too.

you think?

you might be onto something as it is a very thoughtful insight into the human nature

i think guns and roses did better versions of a couple if we're going down the beatles road. i think oasis did a better version of walrus too.

but 1 thing we will never being able to experience with the beatles is how revolutionary they were for the time.

i know a couple of us were, but not many was about back when they were new. i know i aint that old

@ian i think i would have to agree about amy doing the best valerie.

Leave a comment:

• BigIan88
    replied
    Not a fan of her music generally but Amy Winehouses cover of Valerie was better than the original too (don't recall who did it first but it was slower than AW's version).

I also prefer Metallica's version of 'Whiskey in the jar'.

Leave a comment:

• cold fusion
    replied
    I'm going to be controversial and say I massively prefer a cover version of a Beetles song to the original.

The track in question is "With A Little Help Of My Friends", with the cover being Joe Cocker.

I do respect the Beetles on an intellectual level, but Cocker's cover has more bite to it. Rawer guitars, more emotive vocals. Just more raw generally

Leave a comment:

• BigIan88
    replied
    I actually prefer Leona Lewis' version of 'Run' to Snow Patrols too.

Leave a comment:

• cold fusion
    replied

@Smellyferret: not sure what you mean by which NIN version. He only released one single didn't he? Or are you counting remixes and live versions?

Leave a comment:

• luke22
    replied
    yea, i think jc's version of one is another which is has more feeling, more depth than the original whilst not being better, not worse. just different

Leave a comment:

Working...
X