X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behind Blue Eyes

Very rarely I ever favour the cover.

But this one has got me stumped.

Obviously love the original by The Who, its brash and meaty, and lets face it, they wrote the song, so all credit to them.

But Limp Bizkit did a damn good cover, it's a little spooky and cold, which fits the theme and lyrics of the tune.
    GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Just listened to both straight after each other. I like the beginning of the limp bizcuit version, but the second half I don't care for.
    Overall I would rather listen to the who version, even though when you listen to both you can feel how much the who version has aged.
    Originally posted by coiler
    the trails is where life flows best
    Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

i think this is like the gary jules version of mad world.

not the same, not better, not worse, just different enough to make you feel other feels, touch you in other places
      "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
      Plato

Comment

I knew of The Who's version when Limp Bizkit release their cover, but hadn't listened to it a great deal till that point.

Having now listened to both over the years I think it's a great song, and both versions are great in their own way, but I do prefer the Limp Bizkit version.
        It's a different sound to the original and as mentioned it's kinda spooky and cold, plus I really like the vocals from Fred Durst.
        "They're gonna find out
        I don't know who they are or what they're gonna find out
        But they're gonna find out
        And it's gonna be over real quick"

Comment

Originally posted by luke22 View Post
          i think this is like the gary jules version of mad world.

not the same, not better, not worse, just different enough to make you feel other feels, touch you in other places
          The Tears for Fears version always felt too fast to me. If it were about 20% slower then it would easily beat Jules' version but as it stands I feel Gary Jules better judged the right temperament (for lack of a better adjective) of the lyrics.

Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" is another example of a track that equals - and even exceeds in some regards - the original Nine Inch Nails version. But then I think Trent did a great job covering my favourite Gary Numan track, "Metal" (albeit he didn't really do much to alter style of the track).
          Last edited by cold fusion; 05-03-17, 11:31.

Comment

I think that with Hurt there are some NIN versions that are very good and some that are just OK, when you compare this mix to the fact that JC's single version is very good (and timely when released) I think thats why it tends to stand high.

Nin / Trent are well worth seeing live too. (If he talks to the crowd much, you are privileged!)
            http://steamcommunity.com/id/smellyferret

Comment

Was literally going to bring up how Johnny Cash made "Hurt" his own and is arguably superior to the original!
              i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

yea, i think jc's version of one is another which is has more feeling, more depth than the original whilst not being better, not worse. just different
                "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                Plato

Comment

Cash's version is helped by the fact that, as a listener, you know it's his final song. It makes it feel far more emotive and a little autobiographical (with help from the music video) too.

@Smellyferret: not sure what you mean by which NIN version. He only released one single didn't he? Or are you counting remixes and live versions?

Comment

I actually prefer Leona Lewis' version of 'Run' to Snow Patrols too.
                    i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

I'm going to be controversial and say I massively prefer a cover version of a Beetles song to the original.

The track in question is "With A Little Help Of My Friends", with the cover being Joe Cocker.

I do respect the Beetles on an intellectual level, but Cocker's cover has more bite to it. Rawer guitars, more emotive vocals. Just more raw generally

Comment

Not a fan of her music generally but Amy Winehouses cover of Valerie was better than the original too (don't recall who did it first but it was slower than AW's version).

I also prefer Metallica's version of 'Whiskey in the jar'.

Comment

Originally posted by cold fusion View Post
                          Cash's version is helped by the fact that, as a listener, you know it's his final song. It makes it feel far more emotive and a little autobiographical (with help from the music video) too.

you think?

you might be onto something as it is a very thoughtful insight into the human nature

i think guns and roses did better versions of a couple if we're going down the beatles road. i think oasis did a better version of walrus too.

but 1 thing we will never being able to experience with the beatles is how revolutionary they were for the time.

i know a couple of us were, but not many was about back when they were new. i know i aint that old

@ian i think i would have to agree about amy doing the best valerie.
                          Plato

Comment

Hendrix's version of All Along The Watchtower is waaaay better than Dylan's

Comment

Originally posted by BigIan88 View Post
                              I actually prefer Leona Lewis' version of 'Run' to Snow Patrols too.
                              Whaaaa???

Go to your room and think about what you just said.
                              the trails is where life flows best
                              Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

Working...
                              X