Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benefit Street

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Benefit Street

    Anyone else watch this last night? I found it quite interesting. Particularly the fellow who was signed off on the sick due to memory problems. He was basically getting about 500 per month plus his rent paid. He was dealing cannabis and this was shown during the programme. I can see why people get up in arms about such things but most of the people they had were very nice and supportive types. There was a sense of community there which you don't see often these days. There was some poor fellow with a family on 45 pw and having his pittance stopped because of rubbish reasons.

    I do find it quite irritating to see so many beggars descend upon Brighton for the summer to pray on the tourists. It's annoying because I can't go a few hundred yards from my front door in the summer without being accosted by a string of individuals. I will try and help out during the winter if I am able and I will give to those who have become familiar to me over the years during the summer.

    So I think that basically I am saying that it's horrible that some people know how to play the system and get away with large amounts of benefit that they are clearly not entitled to. It's worse that some of those who should be entitled to it and deserve it, don't get it or get harassed too often when they clearly should not be, like the blind kid who is never getting his sight back but they keep re-assessing. It's horrible that there are large vacant areas called green belt where we cannot build affordable housing. So many things wrong with this country.
    My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?



  • #2
    I've not read into exactly how much curtailment of benefits is taking place under new Tory plans, but heard on the radio this morning it would be capped at 24k a year, which in my mind, if you're not working, and have decided to have kids, that's a flipping lot of money!

    Reading about families on over 40k a year, who don't work, with a ton of sprogs makes me angry. One family on benefit street was bragging their kids won't be working either, as they've been brought up on the benefit lifestyle and know no different.
    Originally posted by Aaron
    I want those sweet cherries

    Comment


    • #3
      The rhetoric of "benefit scroungers" is horrible, the vast majority would rather be in a stable job that paid a fair wage. Simply forcing them into jobs they aren't suited too or cutting their benefits at every given opportunity for no reason is a terrible system.

      I agree, there are a minority that play the system - but that's a small price to pay if it means supporting the most vulnerable and helping support and retrain those out of work.

      With regards to Coiler's point, some of these people may well have had perfectly good jobs and decided to have kids and were then for whatever reason lost their job.

      Comment


      • #4
        To some extent we don't have to touch the green belt...the amount of empty properties around the country that could be re purposed example the pound house scheme in Liverpool.... damn fine idea with the councils paying for the refurb... if they did that and then took the rent allowance to pay for it.... once its done ..the council wont need to pay housing benefit just subsistence and the people actually own a house..! !

        To some people its a way of life.... a girl I went to school with when asked by a careers advisor what she was going to do when she left school...her reply was nothing ...she was having 3 kids and the council will give her a house and feed her kids...and guess what..... she did !
        Last edited by joker3327; 12-05-15, 11:08.
        posted by scrivz69
        I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
        i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS




        Comment


        • #5
          The categories of people on benefits should be broken down -

          No Job - Don't want a Job - Tough, get off yer backside and heres a MacDonalds application
          No Job - Unable to work (disability/caring for disabled) - Benefits agreed
          No Job - Unable to work (children) - Benefits for first 2 children (any more should be better family planning required), once kids in school here's a MacDonalds application
          No Job - Cant find the 'right' job - Tough, get off yer backside and heres a MacDonalds application

          The benefits system is being abused. It's sole purpose should be to help/provide for people who cannot or are unable help/provide for themselves. (not people who are unwilling to help themselves).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Moonchester View Post
            The categories of people on benefits should be broken down -

            No Job - Don't want a Job - Tough, get off yer backside and heres a MacDonalds application
            No Job - Unable to work (disability/caring for disabled) - Benefits agreed
            No Job - Unable to work (children) - Benefits for first 2 children (any more should be better family planning required), once kids in school here's a MacDonalds application
            No Job - Cant find the 'right' job - Tough, get off yer backside and heres a MacDonalds application

            The benefits system is being abused. It's sole purpose should be to help/provide for people who cannot or are unable help/provide for themselves. (not people who are unwilling to help themselves).

            Misspelling a franchise name for the purpose of having any sort of a job - that's a paddling!

            *McDonalds
            i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20




            Comment


            • #7
              Is going to be a growing problem for the country as the chav continues to breed.

              My Mrs teaches in a primary school and she has about 2/30 who pay attention in class and some even brag about not caring about school as they will just get benefits when they finish school.

              It isn't just her school she knows plenty of other teachers who have similar problems in their schools.

              When you just get off a bus in London and sign on for 40 a week from any country and be a proffessional British born alcoholic or junkie and get paid for it then there will be no motivation for people to want to get a job.

              I agree the system isn't fair and people who should be getting disability often don't but that's just an issue with people playing the system and cheating benefits.

              Benefits should be capped at the minimum wage per year for one person and then the partner or house wife/husband can claim whatever they are entitled too.

              24,000 is a lot of money as that's more 30,000 for a working person.

              Freedom isn't free"



              Comment


              • #8
                Its the sprog poppers who then earn vast amounts of benefits which needs looking at the most, eg. the family with 9 kids, earning nearly 50k a year. BAN.
                Originally posted by Aaron
                I want those sweet cherries

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Toonshorty View Post
                  The rhetoric of "benefit scroungers" is horrible, the vast majority would rather be in a stable job that paid a fair wage. Simply forcing them into jobs they aren't suited too or cutting their benefits at every given opportunity for no reason is a terrible system.
                  Capping 24k is perfectly reasonable, hopefully it will make "benefit scrounging" seem less attractive. Many people working full time don't get this much, my starting salary after graduation was only slightly higher.

                  I think people on benefit should NEVER get more than those who work. No matter how many children they have. Capping at 2 children is a good move, although probably best to only start from newborns.


                  The point regarding loosing a job after having children, this is indeed exceptionally bad timing. But why does the said person don't have any savings? where is the partner? My father was made redundant when I was at secondary school, we relied on insurance we bought to pay the mortgage, my mother's wages and dipped into our savings to get by.



                  I viewed a 2 bed flat where someone on benefit was living when house hunting, it's shocking how the estate agent is taking the profit in this case: they offers rent guarantee to the landlord, they get undisclosed amount from council, but the flat is trashed and the landlord has to pick up the bill (in this case, less asking price). Guess what, the single mother with 2 kids on benefit has a 3rd on the way!
                  i7 2700k \ 16GB \ GTX 970 \ D2x \ Z68x-UD5 \ m4 128GB +2TB \ S12G-550 \ FT02-RW \ G15+G5+G51 \ U2711
                  X100 \ X-E2 \ 10-24 \ 55-200 \ 18/2 \ 60/2.4 \ Yn560 \ X1.1a \ Hadley Pro -- Photostreamr

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by wuyanxu View Post
                    Capping 24k is perfectly reasonable, hopefully it will make "benefit scrounging" seem less attractive. Many people working full time don't get this much, my starting salary after graduation was only slightly higher.

                    To put this in perspective, I'm yet to earn more than 21k/year in any of my jobs and I survive just fine! I'm on 17.5 where I am at the moment and I choose not to have any kids as I can't support them and don't want a family just yet.
                    i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20




                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by wuyanxu View Post
                      The point regarding loosing a job after having children, this is indeed exceptionally bad timing. But why does the said person don't have any savings? where is the partner? My father was made redundant when I was at secondary school, we relied on insurance we bought to pay the mortgage, my mother's wages and dipped into our savings to get by.
                      Unfortunately some people don't earn enough to have money to save at the end of the month and not everybody has a partner either, I know I'm being pedantic but it's a very plausible situation.

                      Capping child benefit at two or three for newborns I can accept though. There is a problem with welfare, but these are a minority and it's unfair that the minority should ruin it for the majority. There is also an argument to say there simply aren't enough jobs for everyone therefore some people simply can't work because there are no jobs for them. What we really need to do is give people a platform to start their own business and encourage innovation, for me universal basic income is certainly worth looking into.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I earn around the same BigIan, never been above 20K and neither has my wife yet somehow we manage to pay mortgage, 2 cars and 2 nippers.
                        I really should have checked, but wrote the first line and copied it for the rest (with the spelling mistake).. should have just gone for KFC...

                        Did anyone ever walk into a job centre and see no jobs on the wall? I know I didn't when I was younger. There are always jobs available, it's weather it's worth it for somebody to go and work.
                        With benefits up so high it means people are worse off by working, that is the issue..

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Well no. Income support is about 73.10 pw. Less if you are under 25. You do not get housing benefit if you are under 25 without children, so how can you say you would be better off not working?

                          I know someone who gets full DLA (PIP) and income support and rent paid but they still get less than me by quite a considerable sum.
                          My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            New Benefits Street series 'assessed' by Cleveland Police


                            All your spoon are belong to us

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Toonshorty View Post
                              Unfortunately some people don't earn enough to have money to save at the end of the month and not everybody has a partner either, I know I'm being pedantic but it's a very plausible situation.

                              Capping child benefit at two or three for newborns I can accept though. There is a problem with welfare, but these are a minority and it's unfair that the minority should ruin it for the majority. There is also an argument to say there simply aren't enough jobs for everyone therefore some people simply can't work because there are no jobs for them. What we really need to do is give people a platform to start their own business and encourage innovation, for me universal basic income is certainly worth looking into.
                              If you're scraping enough together and there's nothing left at the end of the month, you probably need to have a good think if having kids was a good idea.
                              I don't understand the mentality of having a kid and expecting someone else to pay for it. You should plan and plan and plan and save and plan some more before you even think about considering being responsible for another human being for the next 16+ years.
                              It's an odd mentality where people think "Oh I can't look after myself, why don't I try looking after lots of little versions of me instead! What could go wrong?"

                              There isn't enough innovation in this country true, but you can't stimulate innovation simply by throwing bank loans at everyone who wants to start a business. People need to accept that most of the time you need to be willing to start at the bottom, learn a skill, learn a business, and THEN start to think about how to make it better. Simply walking out of uni and stating to the world that you are an entrepreneur because you've thought of some nonsense you can sell on the internet, does not make for a healthy economy.
                              Originally posted by coiler
                              He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
                              Originally posted by BigIan88
                              turn off that sexy nonsense
                              Originally posted by Salad Soup
                              turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X