X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Ron fits that bill

Comment

• Originally posted by cold fusion View Post
      Basically you only like movies if they star someone named "Russell" and don't feature trumpets in the musical score?
      clearly.

Actually there was some minor brass blowing^ but it was tolerable.

Watched the great wall... some stunning visuals but has a weak, pointless plot, and overbearing instrumentals, at least they put the trumpets down. 4/10

Also watched the OA series on netflix, took me offguard, certainly something that will divide the audience. If you enjoy drama/thrillers with a twist of fantasy, give it a chance, but I would avoid any spoilers online. 8/10

Comment

• should this thread be re-titled:what're you watching, or something like?

we talk films, box sets, docs, everything you know

after a few people telling me to watch quantico i finally gave it a go. do like
        "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
        Plato

Comment

• Well I would recommend Legion and Into the Badlands. These are the only couple of things on TV currently worth a watch IMO. Film wise, I Daniel Blake is superb.

The Walking Dead just gets worse and worse each week. I am close to giving up on it completely. If they string Negan out for another season then I doubt I will be watching it again.
          Last edited by Black Knight; 30-03-17, 18:44.
          My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

Comment

• Originally posted by Black Knight View Post
            Well I would recommend Legion and Into the Badlands. These are the only couple of things on TV currently worth a watch IMO. Film wise, I Daniel Blake is superb.

The Walking Dead just gets worse and worse each week. I am close to giving up on it completely. If they string Negan out for another season then I doubt I will be watching it again.
            I gave up after the first season. Never understood the hype.

I've just started watching Stranger Things. Only seen first episode thus far but damn it's a corker

Comment

• Originally posted by luke22 View Post
              should this thread be re-titled:what're you watching, or something like?

we talk films, box sets, docs, everything you know
              ARE YOU INSIDE MY MIND..?

man I swear to Christ I was reading this yesterday morning and thought about PM'ing someone and suggesting just that

Comment

• And as if by magic....
                My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

Comment

• Originally posted by I3R0K3N7FEET View Post
                  Also watched the OA series on netflix, took me offguard, certainly something that will divide the audience. If you enjoy drama/thrillers with a twist of fantasy, give it a chance, but I would avoid any spoilers online. 8/10
                  Added that to my watchlist a while ago. Haven't actually got around to watching it yet...

Been watching Troll Hunters with my son. We're both hooked
                  Why did the chicken cross the road?
                  To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

• Just started watched a film called kill the Irishman. Thought it was pretty good.
                    GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

• Watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2 the other evening, absolutely fantastic. The first was one of my favourite marvel movies, the 2nd has cemented that. The humour was carried well by the cast despite how forced it seems, and the cast generally were amazing. (couldnt escape the trumpets at the end however) 8/10

Comment

• I finished watching Bosch series 3. Much better than 2 which felt like a chore to get through. American Gods wasn't as awful as I was expecting.

Comment

• I've been watching a Jazz brass special on Sky. Good plot but too many trumpets

Comment

• Originally posted by Black Knight View Post
                            Well I would recommend Legion and Into the Badlands. These are the only couple of things on TV currently worth a watch IMO. Film wise, I Daniel Blake is superb.

On series 2 of into the badlands, its like some sort of Mad-max / Game of thrones / shogun assassin mash-up. Really enjoying it!
                            http://steamcommunity.com/id/smellyferret

Comment

• I watched a movie called Captain Phillips last night.

Was a bit dissapointing. Started well, then became predictable and American. 5/10.
                              GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

• For some reason I've been watching a lot of movies lately:

Star Wars: Rogue One

I'm not a fan of the Star Wars franchise but this actually felt like some real thought went into it. In my personal opinion it's one of the strongest movies in the series, however let down slightly because it only really works in the context of the series.

My verdict: 7/10 - Despite its plots dependance on the saga, it is still the strongest Star Wars movie in 30+ years.

Star Trek: Beyond

I'd heard bad things about this movie, hated all of the other reboots and wasn't a huge fan of the director either, so it was inevitable I was going to hate this film. Yet it surprised me, it felt like an episode of the orginal series. Unlike the other reboots it wasn't all about Kirk, the senior crew really did respect and admire each other. The relationships between Spock, Kirk and Bones felt authentic and plot felt more realistic than the farce that JJ Abrams wrote. However it suffered greatly from over-use of "spinny camera" effects (constant 360 degree camera sweaps in space where there is no fixed point of reference is a fast way to make your audience feel sick) and the whole "loud music blows up enemies" was just lazy and retarded. That all said, for all it's flaws, it was still enjoyable.

My verdict: 6.5/10 - has it's flaws but more authentic and -for me at least- has more replayability

Doctor Strange

It's a Marvel movie. Cumberbatch plays his role brilliantly and while I would rank this as an above average super hero film, it's still your typical Marvel affair.

My verdict: 7/10 - Good fun for the fans but best avoided if you don't like Marvel

Fiddler On The Roof

After all that Sci-Fi I needed a change. For those who don't know the story, Fiddler on the Roof is based on a play and a novel about a Jewish community in western Russia coping with change while holding on tightly to tradition. It's a charming musical with some a lot of laugh out loud moments but at 3 hours long it's not for the casual viewer - particularly with the direction the last hour takes.

My verdict: 8/10 - Quite unlike anything else I've watched

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

The cinematography is spot on, however the story is dull compared to Harry Potter and weirdly it felt rushed in places despite the movie feeling slow to progress.

My verdict: 6/10 - Easily the weakest in the franchise

They Live

1980's B-movie fun by John Williams. Everything that's bad about this movie is what makes it so epic. Stupid fun one liners like "I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ***... and I'm all out of bubblegum.", silly fight scenes and the cheap budget is what makes this so enjoyable. Yet despite it's cheese, it does carry an interesting politic message that is every bit as relevant today as it was back then.

My verdict: 8/10 - It's daft but it is so much fun

Heavy Metal

WTF??? This is the weirdest movie ever. A cartoon that's far too adult for general company but far too stupid for grown ups to watch. Yet I'm weirdly engrossed. I don't know if it's because of the heavy metal sound track, or if it was just because my hangover left me in a brain damaged and highly influenceable state.

My verdict: I'm still processing this one....

Comment

Working...
                                X