Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny how two people can watch the same movie and have such polarised opinions of it.

X-Men Apocalypse

7/10: I went in with low expectations - partly because I get so bored of overly dramatic "end of the world" plots and wasn't the biggest fan of the previous X-Men movies either. However I really enjoyed this one. In fact I would probably say it's one of the best in the franchise.

I am a little biased though because Jennifer Lawrence and Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark in Game of Thrones) are both very watchable and I do have a passing interest in ancient egyptian culture - which also featured quite heavily in the movie.

Comment

• I watched supersonic last night and really enjoyed it, not that I like oasis that much.

Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7. Ryzen 1700. 16GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB. Zotac GTX980ti Amp Omega Edition. Samsung 840 500 GB SSD. WD 1 TB Green. XFX 750w XTR Psu. Creative GIgaworks T20 series 2 speakers. Asus DX 7.1. Phanteks Enthoo ATX Glass case. iiyama G-master GE2788HS Monitor. Cyborg V7. TT Theron mouse.

Comment

• Went to see Trolls yesterday with the mrs and the nipper (3.5yo). Mrs loved it, nipper liked it, I have to admit to laughing more than I should have. I can't believe I'm typing this but 7/10, good fun film.
        Originally posted by {SAS}TB
        Also gives me the chance to probe around the wife's rear end

Comment

• Trolls

5/10

My 3 year old loved it so in that regard it did its job. There was one or two laugh out loud moments for me too but on the whole I found it's appeal a little more limited than most kids films I've watched lately (bar the Home and the Ice Age movies which are just annoying)

Kubo and the Two Strings

9/10

This really isn't a kids film. Albeit I did also watch with the kids. It won't be to everyone's tastes as it's a little unconventional but I found it to be a beautiful film both in terms of visuals and storytelling. If anyone here is into anime or Japanese fables then I would highly recommend you watch this, however it's appeal does extend beyond that as well.
          Last edited by cold fusion; 08-01-17, 19:55.

Comment

• Watched Deadpool last night.

Easily the best Marvel movie in my opinion. The only other one that comes close is Gardians of the Galaxy. Great humour, the violence was well judged and Even the length of the film felt about right - long enough to tell the story but without becoming self indulgent.

A solid 9/10.

Comment

• Spectral (Netflix) - Don't watch it if you understand anything about science. It starts off nicely, but once it gets into it, it is like swiss cheese throwing around big words to try and make you dumber. avoid avoid. 2/10

Kill Command - Now this is a movie that exceeded expectations, with a little more ambition it could rival the Terminator franchise, but as it seems, they played it rather conservatively. If you love sci-fi action, this is worth checking out 6.5/10

The art of steal - Watched this because kurt russell was in it, wasn't disappointed. perfect blend of witty lines, good acting and solid plot. 8/10
              Last edited by I3R0K3N7FEET; 13-01-17, 20:54.

Comment

• Arrival

Sci-Fi movie about the language barriers during the first contact with an alien species. I'm slightly reminded of Contact, albeit this was much better executed if also a little slow in places. I can't really say much without giving away massive spoilers but I will say that as well thought out as as the movie was, I still struggled to believe a few fundamental aspects of the plot.

All in all, I think it deserves a solid 7/10. An interesting film but best avoided if you want something action packed.

Comment

• Jack Reacher: Never Go Back

Quite disappointing, predictable. 6/10.

Comment

• Originally posted by cold fusion View Post
                    Arrival

Sci-Fi movie about the language barriers during the first contact with an alien species. I'm slightly reminded of Contact, albeit this was much better executed if also a little slow in places. I can't really say much without giving away massive spoilers but I will say that as well thought out as as the movie was, I still struggled to believe a few fundamental aspects of the plot.

All in all, I think it deserves a solid 7/10. An interesting film but best avoided if you want something action packed.
                    Agree with the 7/10, its not super awesome but an interesting watch, better than the average hollywood movie.

Watched both RE: final chapter, and Underworld: blood wars. Avoid both. If you are a fan, prepare to be disappointed. Resident evil at least finished the story in a rather 'yup I saw that coming' kinda way. UW:BW just cheaped out in everyway possible. It was just trumpets, and people shooting at eachother for half the movie, the other half was just filled with pointless filler, talking, and stupid plot holes.
                    Last edited by I3R0K3N7FEET; 14-03-17, 00:41.

Comment

• Originally posted by I3R0K3N7FEET View Post
                      Agree with the 7/10, its not super awesome but an interesting watch, better than the average hollywood movie.
                      Have you seen the IMDB reviews? It's good for a laugh as it's full of 1 star reviews saying "worst film ever" and 9 and 10 star reviews saying "best scifi ever" with very little in-between.

Comment

Have you seen the IMDB reviews? It's good for a laugh as it's full of 1 star reviews saying "worst film ever" and 9 and 10 star reviews saying "best scifi ever" with very little in-between.
                        I am actually sick of hollywood movies, they are literally all trumpet no substance.

watched rouge one tonight, was a fantastic story, fantastic acting and cast. let down by needless trumpets and in-your-face orchestral music for no reason at all. EG... space port scene, spaceship is leaving space port, a fairly normal deal. (QUE EPIC TRUMPETS DOOO DOOO DOOO DOOO DOOO DOO!!!!!!!!!"""211!!!) ?? really.... anyway would give a 6.5, worth watching for any star wars fan. If you can handle trumpets, then you will be fine, but one you notice, there is no going back.

Also recently watched Miss perigrine's school for peculiar children, really enjoyed it actually, the soundtrack could have been better however. 7/10

The reason why I watched MPSFPC is because of the lead actor is awesome, he was also the lead in Enders Game, despite having some mild trumpeteering, it is a fantastic movie 8/10.

I also again watched Interstellar, absolutely love that movie, if you are having a problem with diarrhoea I would suggest watching it as it delivers several butt clenching moments. 8.5/10

1. Abort, Avoid,
                        2. I want my life back
                        3. Interesting premise, but wtf happened?
                        4. might be worth the risk
                        5. a good way to pass the time
                        6. entertaining
                        7. an enjoyable watch
                        8. Must see
                        9. You need this in your life
                        10. best movie ever

Comment

• You moaned about 'trumpeteering' yet liked Interstellar? That was one of the worst examples (or best?) of Hollywood ruining a good story with idiotic action sequences which you already know the outcome of before the event and easily the worst and plot twist at the end which I've seen in any Sci-Fi since Close Encounters "oh look, they're our friends. lets board this glowing space ship".

Interstellar took a cool concept and destroyed it with painful Hollywood memes.

Enders Game was another cool concept ruined by Hollywood.

At least Star Wars, as rubbish as the franchise is, is only intended to be mindless escapism. The other sci-fi you've exampled try to be more while still being rooted in dumb cliches.
                          Last edited by cold fusion; 19-03-17, 08:23.

Comment

• All your spoon are belong to us

Comment

You moaned about 'trumpeteering' yet liked Interstellar? That was one of the worst examples (or best?) of Hollywood ruining a good story with idiotic action sequences which you already know the outcome of before the event and easily the worst and plot twist at the end which I've seen in any Sci-Fi since Close Encounters "oh look, they're our friends. lets board this glowing space ship".

Interstellar took a cool concept and destroyed it with painful Hollywood memes.

Enders Game was another cool concept ruined by Hollywood.

At least Star Wars, as rubbish as the franchise is, is only intended to be mindless escapism. The other sci-fi you've exampled try to be more while still being rooted in dumb cliches.
                              I think he's talking about trumpets. Like, literal trumpets.

These things:

Not a metaphorical plot device trumpet. A trumpet.

Doot doot.

Comment

• Originally posted by heavywater View Post
                                I think he's talking about trumpets. Like, literal trumpets.

These things:

Not a metaphorical plot device trumpet. A trumpet.

Doot doot.
                                Yup, but can also be reference overly in yo'face OTT generic orchestrals including the overuse of hyperactive strings, but the Trumpet is the epitome of mind numbing, brain interrupting offence.

Comment

Working...
                                X