No announcement yet.

Forum Stalker Test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it hard to follow the logic that people who post "oh i haz teh sadz" on Twitter are depressed.

I've known depressed people. They [generally] couldn't give a monkeys balls about Twitter, or Facebook, or any internets, or a computer, or a phone, or the outdoors, or people, or what day it is, or living.

I accept it may catch a few people who might be considering doing something utterly stupid to themselves, but as for recognising symptoms of depression from 140 characters on the "oh-look-at-me-verse" I find it a bit of a stretch.
    Originally posted by coiler
    He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
    Originally posted by BigIan88
    turn off that sexy nonsense
    Originally posted by Salad Soup
    turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

Originally posted by Ice Tea
      I'm not going to say on here but due to my Mothers and family members line of work i have often been in close personal contact with those that are vulnerable.

If you ask Admin Cat in private the delivery address that he sent my comp prizes too that will give you a clue to the line of work.............

And yes mental health issues does have a lot to do with paedos as a section of those that have become mentally unwell have been sexually abused aswell as physically and mentally in some form or another in their lives.

Mentally unwell are not born that way so it should never be treated as the same context as being Gay as that has nothing to do with being vulnerable , unwell or damaged.
      Well, yes, many of us I'm sure have relatives who work in the mental health 'industry'. It's a much bigger issue than many people suppose, which is pretty much my point. As per the BBC article linked earlier, one in four people will have some kind of mental health issue each year, a number which sounds shockingly high even to me. And yet it's a 'taboo subject', in part because of attitudes like the ones you are espousing.

There are a massive range of causes for mental health issues, and some people are indeed 'born that way' because some issues have neurochemical origins. I stand firm in my view though, that hiding the subject behind a layer of cultural aversion, however well meaning, does nothing for the issue in the long term. Obviously there are situations where 'blogging about it' is NOT appropriate. Everything in life needs a dash of common sense applied. I don't think that anyone is suggesting that victims of child sexual abuse should feel compelled to blog/tweet about their experience in great detail. However saying that mental heath should 'never be discussed on the internet' is not really a viewpoint I can see myself agreeing with.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn View Post
        Well, yes, many of us I'm sure have relatives who work in the mental health 'industry'. It's a much bigger issue than many people suppose, which is pretty much my point. As per the BBC article linked earlier, one in four people will have some kind of mental health issue each year, a number which sounds shockingly high even to me. And yet it's a 'taboo subject', in part because of attitudes like the ones you are espousing.

There are a massive range of causes for mental health issues, and some people are indeed 'born that way' because some issues have neurochemical origins. I stand firm in my view though, that hiding the subject behind a layer of cultural aversion, however well meaning, does nothing for the issue in the long term. Obviously there are situations where 'blogging about it' is NOT appropriate. Everything in life needs a dash of common sense applied. I don't think that anyone is suggesting that victims of child sexual abuse should feel compelled to blog/tweet about their experience in great detail. However saying that mental heath should 'never be discussed on the internet' is not really a viewpoint I can see myself agreeing with.
        Absolutely spot on about all points (even the relatives working in mental health part as both my parents work -or rather worked- in mental health too). This is why people like Stephen Fry are such a great ambassador for mental health issues. He can be frank and open about the problems and people take notice and don't judge him for it.

As for your point about victims of child / sexual abuse blogging, it's quite common for them to release books about their ordeal. Weirdly they're quite a popular read, not least of all by my wife who loves those books. I don't see the appeal personally, but if telling their story helps the victims in any way (even if just financially), then I can't see the harm in it.

Comment

Anyway i'll leave you to it , to continue with the notion that the best way to protect the vulnerable is to encourage them to go online and put them themselves in an unprotected vulnerable position instead of dealing with it in real life under the protection of the professionals in a responsible environment.
          And I'll leave it to you to continue to believe that the best way to deal with mental health is to brush it under the carpet and leave the wider community suspicious of those suffering from it, since they view it to be something which affects only a tiny number of people. There are a lot of mental health people who get tired of being classed as 'the vulnerable' you know? Many people with mental health issues perform valuable, important roles in our society. And a great many more who have perfectly normal lives so far as the outside observer is concerned, but still suffer from mental health problems. But let's pretend they don't exist, eh?

Comment

All I'm objecting to is that you seem to have something against people discussing mental health openly. You appear to be assuming that every mental health issue relates to someone who requires care 'outside of the community' in a clinical environment. Obviously, that's true in some cases, but I'm talking about the large majority of mental health sufferers who are not 'vulnerable people requiring care' but otherwise normal people with day jobs and families. We are talking about different things I think, because you seem to view mental health as something which is only relevant to people who are basically unable to look after themselves, whereas I'm discussing it in the wider context.

You advocate care in the community where as i advocate care in the professional medium in the real world.
            Not sure where I said that, or even how that is relevant to this discussion? Again, you seem to be thinking that everyone with a medical health issue is a 'vulnerable person who needs looking after', i.e. someone with severe mental impairment who could not function in society. Most of the people I'm describing are people that you would pass the time of day with and never know that they even had a mental health problem. It's the soldier with PTSD, or the businessman with acute stress, or the teenager who later commits suicide due to depression. For many people in this situation, discussing their problem is the first step towards improving their mental health, and while it's not going to be appropriate in every case there's nothing inherently wrong with the internet as a forum for discussion - that is specifically and exactly the reason why it exists in the first place, after all.

And saying that your view is 'realism' and my view is 'idealism' is just a lazy way of saying you are right and I am wrong without actually discussing the subject.

Comment

You seem to be having an imaginary conversation with yourself with imaginary things that i have never said that you cast aspersions on when all i have said that the internet is not the best place for those that can't be protected and should be protected.

You advocate care in the community where as i advocate care in the professional medium in the real world.

Idealism vs Realism - The Internet vs real life , it makes no difference.

With your imaginary Idealism you can't direct anyone with needs to this special place where the public care for strangers more than care for themselves.

I on the otherhand in my Realism can direct a person in need to a medical care centre for real life for personal support and medication.

If there is anychance we can now stop this silliness and accept that we are fare apart when it comes to caring for people and that this conversation is pointless?
              Not everyone with mental illness needs that level of medical care though. And even that aside, the government advice is exactly what Andyn and myself have been saying as opposed to your recommendations:

(one of the many TV ads aired as part of a recent government campaign)

Maybe you should familiarise yourself with http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/ before you decide to go on another rant about mental illnesses.

Comment

Would it help if i said for the sake of it that you are right so this can come to an end?
                Just stop posting if you don't want to discuss, lol.

Comment

Thread of the week?
                  The banter bus has stopped rolling - 23/06/16

Comment

Think you're getting a bit obsessed tbh mate, Stalkee becoming the Stalker, possibly?

Comment

Things are beginning to make sense a little now.
                      My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

Comment

I knew you'd post in here right after my comment in the Windows forum.

Predictable much

Comment

Working...
                        X