• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Tower Blaze

Pretty horrendous

Originally posted by coiler
    Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Yeah. So many eye witness accounts of people being trapped at the top of the building and survivors reporting that the fire alarms weren't going off. I'm getting flashbacks of 9/11 (albeit without the terror / plane aspect, but just as scary for those caught up in the tower)

Comment

Looks like multiple failures amounted to what happened.

Fire alarm not going off.
      People being told to stay inside their flats.
      Cladding on the outside allowing the fire to rise up the tower within seconds.

Someone going to get the sack...

Comment

Terrible, you think with all this health and safety. 12 confirmed dead, people force to make a decision to burn to death or jump to their deaths. Doesn't bear thinking about....

Edit: 12 confirmed so far....
        Last edited by BUDFORCE; 14-06-17, 18:05.
        GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Just been reading about this. No way that was up to regulations, looks like the whole plastic cladding on the outside has gone up. Stairwell has probably acted like a chimney. That or it was deliberately set. Concrete doesn't burn like that

EDIT: Yep. Cheap plastic cladding instead of fire retardant cladding... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40283980
          Last edited by FunkY; 15-06-17, 08:27.
          Why did the chicken cross the road?
          To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackster View Post
            Looks like multiple failures amounted to what happened.

Fire alarm not going off.
            People being told to stay inside their flats.
            Cladding on the outside allowing the fire to rise up the tower within seconds.

Someone going to get the sack...
            Plus bare gas pipes running up the inside of the building.

The sack? The lawyers will find ways around that.
            Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
            Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
            Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Kensington goes red,

Burn the Plebs.

A little googoo search will bring up the various redevelopment proposals for the site, all voted down by the locals, instead resulting in redevelopment of these towers last year, which has now burned down. This was no accident.

Comment

Kensington has a history of "class cleansing", edging out anyone who earns less than six figures a year. Just look at the plans for the Earls Court site. Proles need not apply.

Am I being cynical in seeing the rumoured visit of Kim Jong-May, the Supreme Leader, as an attempt to look all prime ministerial as she tries to deny that she flopped badly in an election last week?
                Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
                Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
                Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Originally posted by I3R0K3N7FEET View Post
                  Kensington goes red,

Burn the Plebs.

A little googoo search will bring up the various redevelopment proposals for the site, all voted down by the locals, instead resulting in redevelopment of these towers last year, which has now burned down. This was no accident.
                  Originally posted by michaelkenward View Post
                  Kensington has a history of "class cleansing", edging out anyone who earns less than six figures a year. Just look at the plans for the Earls Court site. Proles need not apply.

Am I being cynical in seeing the rumoured visit of Kim Jong-May, the Supreme Leader, as an attempt to look all prime ministerial as she tries to deny that she flopped badly in an election last week?
                  This thread has taken a turn for the weird....

Comment

My tinfoil hat must be broken, can you explain this bit?

There were proposals for redevelopment of the site, which were rejected, which resulted in redevelopment of the site, which then burned down?

What are you trying to say?
                    Originally posted by coiler
                    He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
                    Originally posted by BigIan88
                    turn off that sexy nonsense
                    Originally posted by Salad Soup
                    turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

He's trying to say they wanted to raze them to ground, but instead settled for polishing them up with new cladding.
                      Originally posted by Aaron
                      I want those sweet cherries

Comment

He's trying to say the residents blocked a redevelopment plan so the developers decided to firebomb the tower - killing the residents within it - so they could get their redevelopment plan pushed through regardless. It's not unheard of for listed buildings to mysteriously catch fire when development plans are blocked by them, but it's a bit of a stretch to suggest they would willingly burn hundreds of people for the same cause.

The problem with tragic events is sometimes people need to look for a higher power controlling the chaos. Sometimes it's in religion, other times it's with conspiracy theories. Both ideologies fail to grasp that sometimes bad things happen just because life is pretty unforgiving.
                        Last edited by cold fusion; 15-06-17, 17:05.

Comment

And many times the conspiracy theories are true.

Let's look at the facts.

1. The site and surrounding towers have all been eyed for redevelopment into luxury apartments.
                          2. All the proposals have been rejected by the locals.
                          3. Recently, Kensington, the richest piece of land in the world, with also part of the poorest part of the country, become activated, voted, and Kensington becomes a Labour ward.
                          4. If you check out this community blog website, there has been a long list of problems built up by the residents dating back at least 5 years including some information about various redevelopment plans that were changed/blocked. Including the eventual resignation of the recent redevelopment (which initial plans for date back to 2012. Moving from a 3m plan, to a 10m plan, to the final 'improvements' being purely aesthetic to improve the view of the local luxury apartments. Of that 10m cost, the cladding and windows only cost 2.6m, and the cladding used was a known fire risk already linked to other high-rise fires around the world. The Page I linked to details issues with power surges, and a dysfunctional emergency escape.
                          5. local redevelopment projects have been in the order of many billions of pounds, but the Lancaster estate only received an 'academy/free school', to which many have criticised as the move as an intentional act of segregation as they are no longer allowed to apply to the 'rich' schools in the area.
                          6. The fire/health risk of the towers was well known to cabinet ministers and had been sitting on it for the entire duration throughout its process. Most complaints were considered to 'fall on deaf ears'.
                          7. Even the group responsible for the redevelopment work did not adhere to fire regulations, cheaped out, and did no research into the material they used.
                          8. The Tories recently closed 3x fire stations and 4-500 firemen from the local area.
                          9. All current statements about how the fire started is pure speculation, however considering the recent complaints of power surges causing equipment to go faulty, then having the building wrapped in a firelighter, I would actually give credence to the idea of an electric fryer flashing up.

I am simply asking,

Accident, or intentional outcome?

Many of the residents felt like something like this was a matter of time, maybe we should be listening to them more.

Comment

3. Recently, Kensington, the richest piece of land in the world, with also part of the poorest part of the country, become activated, voted, and Kensington becomes a Labour ward.
                            Labour constituency.

I wonder why the Supreme Leader didn't bother to talk to any residents.

Hang on, that's her style, well honed in the general election. Don't talk to the people you represent, you might catch something.

Comment

Unofficial death toll for this is closer to 150 by the way not 17.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Working...
                              X