Who are you voting for on Thursday #ELECTION2015 #48HOURS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cold fusion View Post
    Not that far fetched. How many people were protesting? Reports range from 200 to 2000, so lets overestimate here and say it's 2000. Each photo in the online publications will have between 5 and 20 people in it, and each report will have on average about 3 photos:

median of people per photo:
    (((max - min) + 1) /2) + min == (((20 - 5) + 1) / 2) + 5 == 13

Unique people per article:
    median * photos == 13 * 3 == 39

And now the probability of being in one specific publication:
    (unique_people / max_protesters) * 100 == (39 / 2000) * 100 == 1.95%

That's nearly a 1 in 50 chance of someone appearing in any 1 specific article, and that's using the largest optimistic value for number of protesters (Sky News estimated just 200 which would make it a 20% chance of appearing in any 1 specific article!)

Now consider that anyone job hunting with accessibility to London is likely going to be looking for jobs in London; and that anyone who works in London is going to have a bigger likelihood of having an interest in these events thus are more likely to read more than one article on this, or even follow blogs that have a multitude of pictures and/or have friends who have posted images on their social networking accounts. So the probability jumps again.

So it's not that far fetched at all.
    Youve worked out the probability of appearing in a photo or article etc,

but no the probability of the article being seen an interviewer.

10 million people divided by the amount of people applying for jobs x the amount of people doing interviews divided by the amount of jobs factor in the time of the news and then the times of the interviews, carry the commuting time and then its sooooo unlikely as to be termed far fetched.

with this being your argument for this and the mass surveillance it would appear that youve been turned down a job for some reason in the past that you disagree with eh?

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

• Originally posted by El Wayneo View Post
      Youve worked out the probability of appearing in a photo or article etc,

but no the probability of the article being seen an interviewer.
      I did address that point actually.

Originally posted by El Wayneo View Post
      10 million people divided by the amount of people applying for jobs x the amount of people doing interviews divided by the amount of jobs factor in the time of the news and then the times of the interviews, carry the commuting time and then its sooooo unlikely as to be termed far fetched.
      Your attempt at an equation there doesn't even make the remotest of logical sense, let alone mathematical. eg Where's the 10m people come from? The population of the UK is irrelevant (assuming that's where you've plucked that figure from) as it's only the people protesting would be photographed at this event.

Originally posted by El Wayneo View Post
      with this being your argument for this and the mass surveillance it would appear that youve been turned down a job for some reason in the past that you disagree with eh?
      Nope. I was just offering a counter argument to your "all huddies are hooligans" premise.
      Last edited by cold fusion; 14-05-15, 13:42.

Comment

• you mentioned people job hunting in london, more interest in london events in london and interviewers in london, so i thought a figure of 10 million which is roughly the number of people in and visiting london at any one time was pretty obvious but hey ho.

It wasnt an attempt at actual maths, again i thought that was pretty obvious.

Pretty sure i havent said anywhere that all hoodies are thugs either, i was simply saying that it doesnt look very good does it, being masked up at a "peaceful" rally/protest, you are only going to draw attention to yourself, which is kind of the opposite of what you are trying to achieve.

Again this is where i guess REAL experience in life counts and well, where keyboard commandos fail.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

• Those protesters are the very opposite of a "keyboard commando", given that it was a real life protest rather than some online thing. But yeah, I agree that masking up does draw attention to ones self.

Comment

• To throw in my 2p, I'd guess that if you're willing to protest, then you'd also be quite unhappy to work for someone who discriminated against you for exercising your right to protest, therefore rendering your point moot
            Originally posted by coiler
            He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
            Originally posted by BigIan88
            turn off that sexy nonsense
            Originally posted by Salad Soup
            turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

• Originally posted by omega View Post
              To throw in my 2p, I'd guess that if you're willing to protest, then you'd also be quite unhappy to work for someone who discriminated against you for exercising your right to protest, therefore rendering your point moot
              Few people are well off enough or disciplined enough to exercise their principles that dogmatically.

Plus the work point was only an example. Some landlords might object to seeing their tenant protesting. Same with family members. etc.

I'm not saying this will be the case in all instances. Possibly not in any instance. But it's reasonable enough to assume that not everyone who's masked up is intending mischief.
              Last edited by cold fusion; 14-05-15, 15:32.

Comment

• now i aint saying all you tory voters are to blame, but all you tory voters made her jump from a bridge

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-found-5696096

rip olive <3
                "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                Plato

Comment

• Well as the Tories look after the rich one could assume that the wealthy vote Tory so would have no need of stealing 250.

So its more likely all the other voters who were the cause of her demise.

I'm planning to sue all the charities on her behalf for bullying a nice old lady like this and then donate the money to the Tory election fund 2020.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

• Originally posted by marsey99 View Post
                    now i aint saying all you tory voters are to blame, but all you tory voters made her jump from a bridge

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-found-5696096

rip olive <3
                    Think I saw the aftermath of this as I drove along the Portway that day and there were a bunch of vehicles and people from all three emergency services clustered at that spot.

All your spoon are belong to us

Comment

• So it seem like Cameron wants to get rid of strong encryption.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy...ment-snooping/

"The question is are we going to allow a means of communications which it simply isn’t possible to read. My answer to that question is: no, we must not."

Uhh...

Comment

• Pretty standard stuff from clueless politicos, wonder if anyone mentioned to him that these technologies are used daily by the significant proportion of the world's population which shops online.

Comment

• It does mean thy would have to spend a lot of time working out which communication is likely to be between terrorists though.
                          At the moment they only need to concentrate on the small amount of encrypted stuff.
                          I've not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that don't work!
                          Dave Burnett

Comment

• Originally posted by heavywater View Post
                            So it seem like Cameron wants to get rid of strong encryption.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy...ment-snooping/

"The question is are we going to allow a means of communications which it simply isn’t possible to read. My answer to that question is: no, we must not."

Uhh...
                            That's the dumbest thing I think I've ever read.

Yes, lets stop these imaginary terrorists (how many terror attacks on home soil in the last 20 years?) by breaking internet banking, e-commerce and employees ability to work from home (ie via SSH or VPN). Meanwhile our rail network is an international joke, roads are over capacity and full of potholes, NHS is desperate need for staffing, policing is under staffed, fire fighters are going on strike because of pension cuts and the everyones retirement age is raised to a level that half of us wont live to. But good job stopping those imaginary terrorists.

So well done Tories for being the biggest bunch of idiots on the planet. And to you, Cameron, for being their king.
                            Last edited by cold fusion; 01-07-15, 23:11.

Comment

Working...
                            X