A world human sterilisation virus?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A world human sterilisation virus?

Following on from the what caused the big bang thread, and a comment made about creating a virus that would sterilise 1/3 of the worlds population.

I know that sounds like something out of a James Bond film, but actually, it's seems the most humane way. If all the world leaders came together and proposed such a thing, I would probably vote for it. It's not that radical either, China already limits families to one child, unless you pay a lot of money. Ok, it's not quite the same thing, but the idea of limiting the amount of children you can have does already exist.

I remember watching David Attenborough on one of his nature programs (reasonable recent one, can't remember what it was called), discussing all the species of animals and eventually came to humans, right at the end he made quite a poignant comment about that fact that we are using more resources than is sustainable.

The issue of our spiralling population growth will have to come to a head at some point, there is no doubt about that, the question is how and when, and what happens when it does. If we (as the entire world) don't start seriously thinking about this sooner, rather than later, I fear the worse the outcome will be.

It will only take a few powerful men, in this age of vast military technology, biological and nuclear weapons, and a few bad decisions made out of depseration, and we could, quite easily wipe ourselves out in a very short space of time.

I know which one I would rather.
    GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

I'm often found talking about mandatory sterilization and a licence to procreate - I think it's the only way we can survive as a species in the long term. Gets me a lot of grief from my liberal mates tho
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5.AMD FX8150 @3.5Ghz. 8Gb Mushkin Redline, MSI 7950 TFIII BE, 120Gb Mushkin Chronos + 256Gb Crucial M4 + 2x2Tb F3 Spinpoint Eco-Greens + 1x 3Tb Seagate. Antec 900 Watt PSU . Windows 10 Pro

Comment

So who decides which 1/3 of the world become sterile?

The population problem we are facing is a huge problem. But I don't think a virus is going to solve it. My problem is that you didn't define it as controllable, it sounds like it could spread out of control.

I personally think something that can't be spread and can be administered selectively is more ideal. Give it to those who are having their 5th children while living on benefits. Clearly they are too dumb to use other kind of birth control.

Perhaps an IQ test when people hit 18. Below 60's are deemed too stupid to reproduce. NaturalManual selection.
      i7 2700k \ 16GB \ GTX 970 \ D2x \ Z68x-UD5 \ m4 128GB +2TB \ S12G-550 \ FT02-RW \ G15+G5+G51 \ U2711
      X100 \ X-E2 \ 10-24 \ 55-200 \ 18/2 \ 60/2.4 \ Yn560 \ X1.1a \ Hadley Pro -- Photostreamr

Comment

make it administered by TV..
        if you watch TOWIE or Jeremy Kyle you should become sterile for 1 year, give the brain cells time to recover..

Comment

Originally posted by wuyanxu View Post
          So who decides which 1/3 of the world become sterile?
          This is your problem. What you have to bear in mind here is that in a very real sense, reproduction and the continuation of our genetic material is THE single most fundamental human right.

But let's put a different swing on this. One of the problems with the allocation of resources is that we eat far more meat than is logical in terms of making the best use of our resources. From the land it takes to feed one person on meat, you can feed about forty from vegetable alternatives. So, since you seem to think that enforced sterilisation is a valid option, how would you feel about being told about the new 'enforced vegetarianism' rule which goes along with it? Would you be happy about that, or are you all more blase about things which don't actually affect you personally? (not referencing wyx here specifically btw, just throwing out the point in general).

Note that I am not arguing that there isn't a problem, or that there isn't any merit to the concept of sterilisation as a global strategy to combat overpopulation, just being devils advocate and pointing out that it's not as simple as some seem to think.

Obligatory relevant XKCD:

Comment

A virus is a real bad idea(*), they have a habit of mutating...

(*) if your whole idea of eugenics isn't a bad idea already !
            Follow me @twitter

Comment

Somebody has been reading too much Dan Brown. That is the theme of Inferno.
              I've not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that don't work!
              Dave Burnett

Comment

Well we offer steralisation to junkies, to stop them producing crack amd AIDS babies.

We should expand the scope of that I think, theres a story in the papers about a woman who suffers from extreme learning difficulties and so does her partner and she has been forced to have a c section so they can take her 5th baby off her and put it into care as she was found feeding a newborn cupasoups.

Obviously does not have the mental capacity to look after children.

Also there was a story about how the majority of children taken I to care in certain areas are from the same mothers, some have had 14 children removed, which is ridicolous, I understand people have rights but there is a limit.

Also with a billion chinese and a billion indians pumping out massive amounts of pollution the 2/3 of us who can still have children wont be leaving them much anyway.

I watched Noah recently amd it had a decent message, just like Wall-E did, weve ruined the planet.

Although im not responsible for any of my actions or contribuiting to the demise of the planet as im a victim of big corporate advertising making we want things and am thus a product of what is around me and that I cannot influence.

Thats not really how I feel but some people on here like to argue that.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

the whole idea i find ludicrous we as a species are already reproducing less than we were 40 years ago... the average family then was 6 kids... now the average is 2, the issue above pointing out which 3rd of the population to sterilise is one that will never be answered. we have the right to reproduce in fact its the general principle of life.

oh and natural selection believe it or not more people die every day than ones that are born i would say our population is starting to shrink..
                  Bitfenix shinobi Limited Germany edition. 3 spectre 120 & 2 spectre 140fans. Core i5 3570k ,msi z77a g45,8gb gskill sniper,infinity black edition gtx 970, samsung 840 120gb ssd, samsung F1 750gb, WD cavier black 500gb, seagate barcuda 1tb,+320gb, win 7 ultimate 64, acer 23" 3dG235H microsoft CC keyboard, logitech G500 mouse

Comment

Originally posted by UkGouki View Post
                    natural selection believe it or not more people die every day than ones that are born i would say our population is starting to shrink..
                    Natural selection is based on which animals breed the most - "the fittest", or those that most often survive to breeding age.

in human context, who has the most kids.. the best and brightest, or not ?
                    Follow me @twitter

Comment

natural selection believe it or not more people die every day than ones that are born i would say our population is starting to shrink..
                      Yes we'll start selling/buying birth quotas much like CO2.

Most of those deaths are in under-developed countries. It is not going to happen in the Western World. The average age, just in Britain, is going up rapidly and I'd like to bet that there are more new old peoples homes being built than there are schools.
                      Last edited by Burn-IT; 08-07-14, 13:57.
                      I've not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that don't work!
                      Dave Burnett

Comment

At the risk of tripping on Godwins law but this sounds extremely right wing.
                        My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

Comment

Originally posted by UkGouki View Post
                          the whole idea i find ludicrous we as a species are already reproducing less than we were 40 years ago... the average family then was 6 kids... now the average is 2, the issue above pointing out which 3rd of the population to sterilise is one that will never be answered. we have the right to reproduce in fact its the general principle of life.

oh and natural selection believe it or not more people die every day than ones that are born i would say our population is starting to shrink..
                          Sorry but your figures are rubbish.

There are about 60-70% more people born every day then die.
                          GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Originally posted by Snakedoc View Post
                            At the risk of tripping on Godwins law but this sounds extremely right wing.

Yup, 'tis but a slip from 'sterilise people with low IQ' to 'sterilise people with any disability' and then 'sterilise people I don't like because...'. "First they came...." etc.

And on the subject of population, it's definitely going up not down - while it may be true that in the middle ages everyone had 5-6 kids the infant mortality rate was enormous, and life average expectancy was very low. Nowadays people may have fewer children but they are vastly more likely to survive long enough to have kids of their own. Plus we're looking at an exponential system here - it's even possible that the growth RATE was higher 50 years ago, but lower growth rate does not equate to a falling population, or even a less rapidly growing population.

Think of population growth rate as acceleration, and population size as speed. It's entirely possible for the former to fall, while the latter still rises. I believe that the population growth rate is slowing, but the population is still growing hugely.

Comment

Last UN census made it for each death 2.39 babies are born.

Making it 24 births 9 deaths figure is set to rise to 34 and 9 by 2050 so population is increasing wasnt long ago it was 6 billion now its 7 billion.

Figures average population increase by roughly 90 million per year but its up and down depending on war and general longevity due to whatever illness or natural events.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Working...
                              X