Why do we not have this already?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El Wayneo View Post
    Someone needs to work out the approx mileage of pathways in the UK and how much it would cost.

Im going with eleventy 12 trillion.
    Nah... Cycle paths in this country are a joke (much like everything else)... I doubt they'd spend more than 0.50 per meter.

Why did the chicken cross the road?
    To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

Originally posted by k3vst3r View Post
      Wouldn't class a test case, as a firm stepping up an paying for it all.

As wayneo points out would take trillions of pounds, it would never pay for itself in reasonable time frame.

some person actually made good video of why solar roads will never work http://digg.com/video/solar-roadways-wont-work
      and then worked on that to produce solar paths. yes.

cost is always prohibitive at first. just the way it is but as these tests are more widespread then the costs will fall. not to mention how much a real production run would decrease costs too.

what really baffles me is why everything we make is not making use of the sun and producing solar power.

solar roof tiles, solar building cladding, hell even solar clothing you could charge your tech with on the go....all doable today yet nobody does.
      "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
      Plato

Comment

The bottom picture is Brighton and just around the corner from me.
        My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

Comment

Originally posted by Snakedoc View Post

Sorry Snake, couldn't resist
          i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

Originally posted by Snakedoc View Post
            So's the top one I think...
            Why did the chicken cross the road?
            To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkY View Post
              So's the top one I think...
              Ah yes, I think I know where it is but I've not been in that part since they did this.
              My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

Comment

Originally posted by marsey99 View Post
                which over enough time would still turn a profit.
                Well I dunno about that, what's the expected lifetime? I can't see them realistically lasting the 2000 years it would take to pay themselves off at current prices.

And trying new stuff is great, but we already know that this particular new stuff is pure novelty. Why not spend the money on something worthwhile now while waiting for the technology to mature? How much could have been done in the community with 3 million instead of spending it on a short stretch of path that will never come close to paying a tenth of its price off? How much electricity could they have generated if they'd spent that money on traditional PV panels?

Comment

yea, tbh i dont either.

i mean lets be honest here holland will be under the north sea well before it covers its cost.
                  "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                  Plato

Comment

so after countries like sweden showing that this works on footpaths it seems the french are ready to try it in 100 locations across their country.

http://themindunleashed.com/2016/12/...ites-2017.html

so yea, now we have it and we missed the boat....
                    Plato

Comment

We don't measure ourselves against Europe now due to Brexit, Our pothole ridden gravel and mud paving needs less maintenance*

*Well it gets less, close enough.
                      http://steamcommunity.com/id/smellyferret

Comment

Working...
                      X