X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do we not have this already?

http://trendinghot.net/invention-wil...ld-just-watch/

Why? JUST WHY!?!?!
    "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
    Plato

Just quickly off the top of my head, everyone would steal them.

Those that arent stolen are only 10% percent efficient and would cost trillions to install, then trillions to replace as new ones are more efficient.

Plus they would get stolen or nobheads would smash them up for fun.

In an ideal world, great idea.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Yeah the first thing which springs to mind is: cost, as EW said. That's a lot of road to replace, and I would imagine that a square km would probably cost about a thousand times as much as the same square km of plain ole tarmac or whatever.

Comment

is there not a single place on the internet that you can't get away from SOLAR FREEKIN ROADWAYS

I've started blocking people who post it
        Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
        Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Amazing stuff, if it would work in the real world.

Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7. Ryzen 1700. 16GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB. Zotac GTX980ti Amp Omega Edition. Samsung 840 500 GB SSD. WD 1 TB Green. XFX 750w XTR Psu. Creative GIgaworks T20 series 2 speakers. Asus DX 7.1. Phanteks Enthoo ATX Glass case. iiyama G-master GE2788HS Monitor. Cyborg V7. TT Theron mouse.

Comment

if every road and path was full of them you still think they would all get stolen?

i find it interesting that's where you mind goes dude, but i don't feel the same way. ok maybe some would, world is full of nobheads but i doubt they all would. also if there were billions of them made they would be dirt cheap so as more are made cost would be less of an issue.

i personally think that the local authorities would look after a road surface like this much more than they do the current one as it would also be a source of income.

Added after 2 minutes:

Originally posted by DoubleTop View Post
            is there not a single place on the internet that you can't get away from SOLAR FREEKIN ROADWAYS

I've started blocking people who post it
            i am made up that one of the renewable power sources is getting a usable application that has so many benefits

also, THEY'RE SOLAR FREEKIN ROADWAYS
            Last edited by luke22; 30-05-14, 16:34.
            "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
            Plato

Comment

My mind goes to stolen as thats what people would do, they nick phone and internet cables, paving slabs, plant pots, literally anything so they dont have to pay for stuff, even stuffed toys of my nephews grave.

Plus making billions of them is still going to cost trillions.

Its a good idea but would never happen, they dont even make it mandatory for new buildings to have them.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

well maybe that should be the first step?
                Plato

Comment

Excited but slightly skeptical.

Would love to see these trialled though in "secure" locations such as airports, army bases, and business parks etc with 24/7 surveillance.

I'd also love to see some actual specs of how much power they can produce in different conditions, how much they cost to make, how much they cost to install, etc.
                  --
                  Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Dirty big trucks running over them, sure will ruin them over time. Imagine road works to fix broken pipes etc cutting into expensive panels. Cost to install, also what do with all power generated at moment in time? Grip issues as glassy surface, also argue how efficient they will be with traffic on them as cars will be casting shadows an blocking direct sunlight.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

they are all modular kev, lift half the road and the other side still links them all together.

it would make lifting them easier and faster than needing to relay macadam surfaces.

i agree the surface condition will be a concern but if you're looking for arguments against any solar tech casting shadows is a touch weak sauce. i mean we are in england ffs the clouds do that more often than not anyway...

edit

the more i think about it the more i think it would reduce time taken with roadworks. if all the underground pipes and cable ran in channels then it would be much faster to lift these, fix/replace any issue underground and then slap these back over the top.

they could also be fitted with sensors which signaled any gas or water leaks in that area.
                      Last edited by luke22; 30-05-14, 19:15.
                      Plato

Comment

Well you wouldn't cut into the panels to fix pipes, you'd life the panels.

Grip issues I doubt will be an issue, else they'll never be approved for use.

I would also hope that the top coating/surface would be replaceable due to wear.
                        --
                        Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Wouldn't they severely impede traction when wet?

Check out my latest Steam Workshop creations here

Comment

Originally posted by Col View Post
                            Wouldn't they severely impede traction when wet?
                            Doesn't matter - there SOLAR FREEKIN ROADWAYS
                            Originally posted by omega
                            He's trying to lick the inside of his brain though, doesn't that count for something??

|EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper SLI|Intel Core i7 5820K |Gigabyte X99-UD4P|8GB 2133Mhz Hyper X Fury DDR4|2x 120GB Samsung 850 Evo Raid0|3.0TB WD Green|Corsair 650W|LG 29UB65-P|
                            All bundled in a Enthoo Primo under Water.

Comment

you can make the covers with many textures for varying amounts of grip i would imagine.
                              Plato

Comment

Working...
                              X