This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Tips: on snapping in the snow

Given the recent flurry of snow pictures hereabouts, I thought people might like to read this:
    It comes from our local camera shop, a seriously knowledgeable bunch who are not competitors for Aria!

Looking at the pictures posted here, some people might like to look at the section on White Balance. As it says

"On sunny days with clear blue skies, itís common for snow to appear pick up a slight blue tint".
    There are also comments about shooting RAW, a topic that also came up here recently.

"If you shoot RAW images, you can change your white balance while editing, regardless of your camera settings at the time of shooting."
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
    Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

The biggest tip I can give for shooting in the snow is not to forget to put your SD Card in

Comment

The battery and warm camera are the most forgotten about things to do.

Not giving your camera time to aclimitise causes condensation on the lens and batteries dont last as long in cold conditions
      i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

Originally posted by alexnifty View Post
        The biggest tip I can give for shooting in the snow is not to forget to put your SD Card in
        And always put the battery in. Went out photographing deer last January. Got all the way there...no battery -.-

Remember that snow reflects light (presuming you have any sun!) so can be quite good for underlighting
        Corsair 600T | Asus Sabertooth Z77 ATX | Intel i5-3570k | Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance LP Black 16GB | EVGA GTX670 2GB | Mushkin Chronos 240GB

Comment

I don't really agree with the blueish look in snows.

snow look white IRL, shooting in RAW allows very fine adjustment in colour temperature, so you should adjust it to make snow look as white as possible.
          i7 2700k \ 16GB \ GTX 970 \ D2x \ Z68x-UD5 \ m4 128GB +2TB \ S12G-550 \ FT02-RW \ G15+G5+G51 \ U2711
          X100 \ X-E2 \ 10-24 \ 55-200 \ 18/2 \ 60/2.4 \ Yn560 \ X1.1a \ Hadley Pro -- Photostreamr

Comment

since I did this a few weeks ago, I now carry a spare SD card in camera bag, thanks to helpful forum tip
            Originally posted by Aaron
            I want those sweet cherries

Comment

Originally posted by coiler View Post
              since I did this a few weeks ago, I now carry a spare SD card in camera bag, thanks to helpful forum tip
              And another helpful forum tip...

If you are walking though a dense crowd of people, always check for dwarves in case you trip over one.

Comment

Originally posted by wuyanxu View Post
                I don't really agree with the blueish look in snows.
                Not sure what you mean by this.

Are you saying that they are not blue? Or that you think they should be blue?

Look at some of the pictures posted here. They show a blue tint.

You don't have to be scientific genius to realise that the sky is blue and that the snow reflects that.
                Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
                Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
                Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Originally posted by coiler View Post
                  Along with a spare battery, I hope.

I usually carry three batteries and an extra card.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelkenward View Post
                    Along with a spare battery, I hope.

I usually carry three batteries and an extra card.
                    Same here. My main problem is getting the camera to acclimatise to cold weather. Seems to take a very long time to come back to life once it gets cold.

Comment

the sky has been cloudy, diffused white all week long.

just go out and look at the snow, there really isn't any blue tint.

I think snow should be almost completely white, fine tune colour temperature and brightness if needed to make it 99% white just before clipping.

The best way is to get a gray card or colour checker, and adjust colour temperature according to that.
                      http://www.parkcameras.com/24140/Spy...o-Mac-Win.html
                      (cheaper ones on evil-bay or rain forest)
                      i7 2700k \ 16GB \ GTX 970 \ D2x \ Z68x-UD5 \ m4 128GB +2TB \ S12G-550 \ FT02-RW \ G15+G5+G51 \ U2711
                      X100 \ X-E2 \ 10-24 \ 55-200 \ 18/2 \ 60/2.4 \ Yn560 \ X1.1a \ Hadley Pro -- Photostreamr

Comment

Yet all posts about snow with a blue tint have clearly said "on a sunny day"?
                        Corsair 600T | Asus Sabertooth Z77 ATX | Intel i5-3570k | Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance LP Black 16GB | EVGA GTX670 2GB | Mushkin Chronos 240GB

Comment

Nope. Sunny blue skies in some places. Hence those pictures.

But at least we now know that you believe the phenomenon exists.

Comment

My main problem is getting the camera to acclimatise to cold weather.
                            When I was snapping with my "mechanical" film camera in the Arctic, Canon advised keeping it inside your jacket and then whipping it out and back in quickly.

Compose in your head before using the camera.

I didn't do that yesterday. My Canon 400D was even more temperamental than usual. The SX260 HS fared better.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelkenward View Post
                              When I was snapping with my "mechanical" film camera in the Arctic, Canon advised keeping it inside your jacket and then whipping it out and back in quickly.

Compose in your head before using the camera.

I didn't do that yesterday. My Canon 400D was even more temperamental than usual. The SX260 HS fared better.
                              Tell me about it. My brother took what is now my camera to Mongolia. He had to do the photo ninja thing like you say.

Comment

Working...
                              X