New wildlife setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New wildlife setup

Been thinking about getting something a bit chunkier than a 300mm and finally gave in the other day and got a 150-600 lens, tripod and bargain basement gimbal to go with the cheap d7200 I got a while back.

Really pleased with it from what I've tried out so far, the gimbal isn't the best but is really good for how cheap it was plus the quick release plate makes the tripod foot feel slightly bigger and more secure when carrying which I like. Quick shot I got handheld the other day when trying out the lens:

Ooosh, I wouldn't want to go handheld with a lens like that. Keeping it stable at 600mm would be a challenge and unless its a nice day (rare now its entering winter) you'd have to be out around midday to be able to get over 1/600 shutter speed with a decent ISO!
    i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

I'd go for a remote shutter trigger too!

Looks nice though - I'd love to get something like that for our trips to Africa..

Originally posted by coiler
      Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Originally posted by BigIan88 View Post
        Ooosh, I wouldn't want to go handheld with a lens like that. Keeping it stable at 600mm would be a challenge and unless its a nice day (rare now its entering winter) you'd have to be out around midday to be able to get over 1/600 shutter speed with a decent ISO!
        Yeah, the stabilisation helps a little bit but you really want it on a tripod or resting on something for most shots, fortunately was nice and bright for that kingfisher as I'd only just arrived and didn't have time to get anything proper set up.

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
        I'd go for a remote shutter trigger too!

Looks nice though - I'd love to get something like that for our trips to Africa..
        Actually have a cheap ir remote but forgot it the other day so had to use the self timer (is actually pretty good on the d7200) for some shots of a marsh harrier perched in the distance.
        Last edited by Mokey; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Yeah, I use the self timer semi regularly on my D3200 and D3100. Works, fine, but I've also got wired and IR remote shutter triggers, which work nicely too (ebay/amazon cheapy deals for about 1/10 the price of the official ones )!

Originally posted by coiler
          Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Oh very nice, got any more examples?
            Check out FL-Photos & Lee Whittaker Photography

Comment

Working...
            X