Hybrid's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid's

Thinking about replacing the diesel workhorse (Renault Grand Modus 1.5d) as I'd like to drive something a bit more modern.

I'm looking for 5-door, hatch/estate, cruise control + other toys, and possibly hybrid.

Commute to work is 28miles each way so ideally I'd be doing that on just leccy? Is that how hybrid's work? Do they run on battery until it's dead then switch over to fuel ?

If someone could educate this old man on all these new-fangled things, and maybe recommend a motor that'd be smashing

Oh, and looking at 2nd-hand / nearly-new
    --
    Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

I'd just get a petrol car, they are far more efficient now.

I'd be interested to see the numbers but I don't think buying a hybrid car will save you much money if you factor everything in.
    GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Indeed - been doing a little research.

To commute on leccy I'd need a leccy car (not a hybrid). Hybrid's seem to use the leccy part to boost mpg... given I get 70mpg average already that's not a motivation

I do want something more fun than my diesel though, with toys, and cruise control, even if it ends up costing more to run.
      --
      Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

The 1.4tsi engine in my Leon is about the same as the diesel vectra I had before (35mpg, mix of slow town driving, some B roads around town and the odd journey of 15/20 minutes). On a run, I can get 50mpg or so. The newer versions of the engine are even better on fuel too as they have ACT despite being higher output engines (140 or 150bhp mostly).
        Gaming PC: GTX 680 | FX-8320 | 12GB | Asus Crosshair Formula IV | Crucial BX100 250gb and OCZ Agility 3 60gb |1.5tb Storage| Fractal Design Arc R2 | Enermax 700w | Custom Watercooling
        Laptop: HP Elitebook 2570p - i5 2.8Ghz, 8gb Phone: Huawei P8

Comment

What year is your Leon?

Originally posted by coiler
          Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

inb4 get a VAG
            Originally posted by coiler
            He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
            Originally posted by BigIan88
            turn off that sexy nonsense
            Originally posted by Salad Soup
            turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

Although I've had problems with diesels in recent times, my experience with a 2.0 petrol Passat put me off going back to petrol for a little while longer. Spending 65 on fuel in 4 days, 3 of which were normal driving with one day being a ~100 mile trip to Blackpool and back. The Blackpool trip alone cost me 20 in fuel and I could have done the same trip for 1/3 of the fuel cost in the Mazda 3 I had before it.

Until I can afford a hybrid thats ~140bhp and comfortably does 60mpg+, I can't see me switching.

One things for sure, with everyone being forced to switch to petrol and electricity, I can't wait to see the monopoly the stations try and spin on it and the cost of petrol skyrocket.
              i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                What year is your Leon?
                2012, last of the MK2

Originally posted by BigIan88 View Post
                Although I've had problems with diesels in recent times, my experience with a 2.0 petrol Passat put me off going back to petrol for a little while longer. Spending 65 on fuel in 4 days, 3 of which were normal driving with one day being a ~100 mile trip to Blackpool and back. The Blackpool trip alone cost me 20 in fuel and I could have done the same trip for 1/3 of the fuel cost in the Mazda 3 I had before it.

Until I can afford a hybrid thats ~140bhp and comfortably does 60mpg+, I can't see me switching.

One things for sure, with everyone being forced to switch to petrol and electricity, I can't wait to see the monopoly the stations try and spin on it and the cost of petrol skyrocket.
                To be fair, you did buy an old 2.0 n/a engine. If buying a 2l petrol engine these days, it needs to be turbo'd and make at least 240bhp or your doing it wrong.
                Last edited by A Ginger Sheep; 11-05-17, 13:19.
                Gaming PC: GTX 680 | FX-8320 | 12GB | Asus Crosshair Formula IV | Crucial BX100 250gb and OCZ Agility 3 60gb |1.5tb Storage| Fractal Design Arc R2 | Enermax 700w | Custom Watercooling

Comment

240hp in my area? LOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Insurance wouldn't go near me! I'm paying 150 a month as it is for a 140HP Jetta!
                  i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

you kinda missed my point. 2l engines should only be bought if buying a hot hatch type car. for normal everyday cars with decent MPG, you should be looking at 1.4-1.6 turbo petrols if it is a petrol you are looking for. The likes of the 2.0 FSI engine you had is no longer made for a good reason, nobody would buy one when smaller, more frugal engines give the same output.

Comment

Yup exactly, smaller petrol engines are getting very efficient, reliable and are putting out decent HP for the size, small engines means less weight also. Less weight = better fuel economy.

I'm not writing off diesels but you need to factor to n purchase cost and servicing, there will no doubt be a cross over point where diesels are more economical but I think that point t is getting further and further these days with modern petrol engines.
                      GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Originally posted by BUDFORCE View Post
                        I'm not writing off diesels
                        If he lives in a major city, and he likes to plan ahead, you probably should tbh

Comment

I bought my Leon FR with 15k on it for 8k. The low mileage 2.0 Tdi 140 engines in the same spec were generally around 9k and with 40k on the clock. Even factoring in the fact I buy my fuel in RoI where diesel is cheaper than petrol, it would take me about 6 years of ownership at about 7/8k per year to recoup the extra 1000 spent at purchase. That is of course ignoring any EGR or DPF issues with that would possibly occur through city driving for most of my ownership. Not to mention the petrol is far, far more refined than the diesel. Zero vibrations and it is basically silent at idle. Unless your doing over 10k miles per year and you do enough of those on decent stretches of A roads or Motorway, I would definitely advise going for a petrol. Also, in my car the TSI engine is group 16 vs group 20 of the 140 diesel. 0-60 times are basically identical, so if insurance is high in your area then a smaller, turbo petrol may save you money that way also.
                          Last edited by A Ginger Sheep; 11-05-17, 20:32.

Comment

I spend 50 miles per day on the motorway
                            I live about 1/2 mile from one end, and work about 1 mile from the other end... and I do about 25k per year.

Diesel for me then for the time being I guess.
                            --

Comment

Yeah, 100%. Diesel is definitely the best option for you as you do a lot more mileage than the average user.

Comment

Working...
                              X