Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BUDFORCE's not even Ian is Alpha enough to bodge a fix like this.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUDFORCE's not even Ian is Alpha enough to bodge a fix like this.

It may suprise you after reading this thread that I am not a professional mechanic.

Anyway my sump basin was pretty corroded, so I decided to take action.

Firstly needed a good sanding, so got drill with wire brush attachment.

Although that still ooks pretty bad I've removed all the flakey stuff and most of the major corrosion. Cleaned it up with white spirit.

Then I noticed a very small leak.

I am not sure if it was me sanding off the corrosion but there is actually a little impact crater there, looks like it has taken a whack at some stage rather than rusted through, but the leak so so small, literally jsut weaping through not even enough to drip out.

So, using all of my years of mechanical experience and knowledge, and research, I used a method to fix it, not even a training mechanic would be alpha enough to do.

Thats right, I stuck a patch of tinfoil on with superglue. BOOOM!

I then attacked it with the Hammerite. 5 coats over 15 minutes intervals.

5 layers of hammerite later I let it dry, then a final single coat of VHT black paint I have.

Ghetto or what?
    GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

How long ago was the engine started before doing this job? The oil pressure could have dropped enough for it not to leak if you did just create that hole. Once the engine is started and oil pressure builds back to 4-5 bar on throttle I'm pretty sure it will find its way out. I had a pinhole leak on the filter housing of a mates car on Friday and we didn't even start the engine, just turning it over was enough oil pressure to squirt a cup full of oil across the garage floor.

Originally posted by Aria
    On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

I am confident my tinfoil fix will hold.

GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

I pray for you that it does! Just keep an eye on it as you don't want to be spraying oil over the road.

On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

Haha, yea in all seriousness if it doesn't I'll get some epoxy and take another go at it with that. I'll find out tomorrow I've not run the car I want the paint to fully cure first.
          GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

That's top work my man. If you need to move on to more advanced engineering projects then here's the flow chart that professionals follow:

All your spoon are belong to us

Comment

i would of gaffa taped some bog roll on to it like a man plaster.
              "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
              Plato

Comment

That is car thread of the year gold right there!!!
                Originally posted by Aaron
                I want those sweet cherries

Comment

What car is this? Must be getting on a bit as most post 2000 cars have alloy sumps and the newer generation have plastic! yes, plastic sumps

Comment

Mitsubishi lancer equippe 1.6

07 plate
                    GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Err, superglue dissolves with moisture, never mind boiling hot oil, you've more chance of the hammerite holding it in there

Also:

Comment

I did like the multiple coats of hammerite! Thought "nothings getting through that"

Comment

JFC lol. That's more ghetto than my bamboo fan silencer...

Get it welded! That's a 10 second spot weld job... Welding has the added benefit of not being aluminium foil (which isn't exactly known for being the most tensile of materials), and superglue (which can be dissolved in solvents, such as those you'd often find in car engine)...

At least put a small screw in it, or you know, anything that isn't bloody kit kat wrapper xD

I guess 10 miles before it's ****ing oil all over the place...
                          Last edited by FunkY; 29-04-17, 23:45.
                          Why did the chicken cross the road?
                          To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

Ahhh you people have little faith.
                            GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Back of original pic is this the same leak or another thats ran from somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
                              X