Ian, you think you've got a money pit - you have nothing :D

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ian, you think you've got a money pit - you have nothing :D

Long list - major part was sourcing and fitting the fuel tank, tried three times to do the internal reseal thing
    • New fuel tank and in tank filter
    • New fuel pipes
    • New main pipe fuel filter
    • Removed carbs, clean both, new needles and seats
    • Replaced carb filters
    • Replaced rear suspension spheres
    • Replaced rear brake pump seals
    • Trace and resolve a/c fault
    • New compressor fuse and assorted parts of wiring for a/c
    • Sparks removed and cleaned after check for dirty fuel from duff tank
    • New air intake (scuttle) filters, old ones were non existent, had rotted away - I didn't even know they were missing as there was nothing left!

The new tank was 500 all on it's own ..... not including labour or the efforts to have the existing one repaired. The penny pincher in me is still upset at losing 50 worth of fuel

Things to do:
    • new wiring required in n/s front door for electric window motor.
    • o/s rear central locking fault - solenoid needed
    • parking brake service needed, calipers are partially seized - have been greased but need to just keep an eye on it
    • front discs have lip on edge pads are at about 50%, saving pennies
    • o/s front suspension mount, this one, http://www.flyingspares.com/shop/rol...m-ur72000.html showing signs on separation
    • front brake pump seals seeping very slightly, much easier access to this pump than the one already done that is under the carbs, hence why it was done
    • intermittent balance in audio faders, both front/rear and left/right - may result in a stealth install of an amp to the original speakers with a Bluetooth module
    • front wheel check balance weights, I think she's lost a small weight - worst case the tyres have deformed when not in use in the barn
    • investigate all door switches for interior lights - sometimes works, sometimes not, hoping a clean of the switches (when I find them) resolve this one

Oh the other things on the to do list - some medium length 50ish mile trips to tempt out the next round of things that will need attention

2 potential weddings - not as the driven wedding car, but as the photo car that sits in the nice bit of the car park. No hassle with insurance doing that and a few hundred notes into the bargain

DT.

• coiler
    replied
    All sounds good DT, and she's working out to be a reliable beast. Looking forward to more vids wafting down some back country

Leave a comment:

• DoubleTop
    replied
    MOT due end of the month, expecting to sail through - clearly ..... MOT and insurance due same time and now, given how many times I've been asked, insurance will include Wedding Cover

Couple more jobs done, simple things - new wipers, some new clips on the headlight surrounds but nothing out of the ordinary in a years motoring. The front suspension mentioned at the very start of ownership is now done and I'm going to give her rear end a treat. Bit of a bum lift required, new dampers both sides and a bit of prep work and new seal on the underbody, where needed.

Going to have another little go at the carbs, high choke idle is a little on the fast side. 1700(ish) miles this year, lovely every mile, the trip over Exmoor was a great giggle and a real technical challenge to get the car down some of the lanes, when both side mirrors are in the hedge, it's tight!

For Coiler - I have ran a few test camera positions for recording a journey, but boring trips to shops - post MOT and suspension refresh I plan to do a run up to Oxford and that is a very pretty route on the A-roads.

If I do get a few late bookings, I've three spots of paintwork that will be looked at with the pennies from that, the most concerning is that bubble you get when you know the metal underneath is rusting/oxidising, and it's on the back pillar (not the side that was hit).

Might be off to look at investing in a car that I will buy to put in a garage as the value is rising more than the banks. Another British car although a little older this one, 1954 Riley RME.

Some things still to do on the interior - I've some tools to get hold of to remove the parts of the doors to replace the central locking solenoids and the door switches for the interior lights. I did get one of them working for a while with a cleanup - but not a permanent fix.

I also need to make a few little "odd" things. A sheath (calm down) for the seatbelts - the stalks squeek against the leather seats when wafting along and as the rest is so quiet, it can get quite annoying.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleTop
    replied
    will get a better picture and video - have got a nice new camera and a joby monkey clip thing and the camera can sit on the dash, just need some nicer weather!

Leave a comment:

• coiler
    replied
    Icing on the cake would be your avatar as that view out the cockpit!

Leave a comment:

• coiler
    replied
    lmao oh no, it will be now you've mentioned it again

Leave a comment:

• DoubleTop
    replied
    you know you can't read any of my posts now without a certain phrase jumping into your conscience!

Outta my way .......

Leave a comment:

• coiler
    replied
    hahahahh YES THIS! followed by DT with an axe chopping said logs in boot !

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    Originally posted by coiler View Post
    The b+q log bit was the only let down for me
    I KNEW you'd say that.

Needs to get tipper Hilux to empty in to the Rolls boot direct.

Leave a comment:

• coiler
    replied
    Twas a great vid DT, gold commentary! Only thing i'd change, is next time go to a country mansion farm house and pick up some freshly chopped logs and fill boot. The b+q log bit was the only let down for me

Leave a comment:

• DoubleTop
    replied
    without a goPro, that could prove tricky

The better half held the phone once for a Facebook live thingy when driving back in from B&Q.

Leave a comment:

• coiler
    replied
    Originally posted by DoubleTop View Post
    parts have gone onto back order can't get everything needed to do the full tower replacement, so attempting to be patient.

It's literally "driving" me crazy, I'm missing my stress buster pleasure drive around the country lanes in a Rolls Royce

Need some go pro footage from bonnet, dash, etc of driving said roll round the country lanes

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    Just use a bit of Tippex. Much cheaper

Leave a comment:

• DoubleTop
    replied
    Not too bad in the end, and the ride is now very different, picked her back up this morning. Needs a decent wash and some trainer whitener on the white walls.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleTop
    replied
    parts have gone onto back order can't get everything needed to do the full tower replacement, so attempting to be patient.

It's literally "driving" me crazy, I'm missing my stress buster pleasure drive around the country lanes in a Rolls Royce

Leave a comment:

Working...
X