No announcement yet.

Ian, you think you've got a money pit - you have nothing :D

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could probably buy a VAG for less than the cost of the new fuel pump that has been put in

BUT - she purrs along now, both in traffic and at speed on the dual carriageways. So much so, I have a little more confidence in her now that just doing the 20 miles trips I have been. Popped in and put a dabble of fuel in that almost made the needle move (60 worth) on the way back from a 40mile round trip.

Now I'm happy on that front a bit more, time to give people "rides", but during the ride they must identify where the creaks and odd noises are coming from. They are all just interior rattles as she's being woken up from her years of slumber - and I'm not entirely sure she is appreciative of it

DT.
    Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
    Forum Guidelines here

Comment

air con gassed, and all working - it's not what you would call freezing cold by any stretch, but it's colder than the ambient and there is evidence of the pipes in the engine bay being cold (condensate).

Chasing some wiring issues now - I thought the actual motor had gone on one of the doors, but on much more detailed inspection (after buying a new one), the motor is fine, the lift mech is smooth, so awaiting a couple of new micro-switches as the results on the voltages otherwise are fine.

Took her back to the place I brought her from the other day, just as we were passing and it was nice to show him how much has now been done. He put her on the ramps as one garage had mentioned a slight rust spot in the exhaust box, he fixed it there and then with gunk (was only the first signs of the out skin) and wouldn't take a penny This I like!

Have showed her and detailed the restoration at a school fayre and took a friends son to his prom as well, Joy is really starting to live up to her name, I love being able to give people the chance to be close to something that is considered as special as a Rolls Royce is.

400 mile round trip coming at the end of the month ....

DT.
      Forum Guidelines here

Comment

the 400 mile round trip, kind of turned into 600 - so that tells you how that went, totally awesome road trip

MOT yesterday picked up what I was already saving for, new set of tyres, so they came a little earlier than planned - but the rubber on the outer edges of both rears had gone enough to cause a structural failure.

So, a few calls and found LOCALLY (how lucky) that actually the co-op warehouse of the independent tyre fitters had 4 white trimmed in stock. And as a few of the guys are also petrol heads and watching with intent the restoration process I got a price that beat all online prices by a lot.

Without further messing, the inevitable picture.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6rl98jv90l...99997.jpg?dl=0

DT.
        Forum Guidelines here

Comment

That does look pretty good mate.
          GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

put about 1000 extra miles on her now, first wedding under my belt as well. I'm getting better MPG the more I run her at the moment, last long trip hit dizzy heights of 18mpg. Considering the book MPG 36 years ago was that, some engineering.
            Forum Guidelines here

Comment

I'm so close to buying another - there's a Bentley for sale, same year, same colour ..... what fun to have a pair.

I think I may be a nightmare if/when I have garage space
              Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleTop View Post
                put about 1000 extra miles on her now, first wedding under my belt as well. I'm getting better MPG the more I run her at the moment, last long trip hit dizzy heights of 18mpg. Considering the book MPG 36 years ago was that, some engineering.
                I thought that Rollers did about 24 MPG, the same as some of the Range Rovers of similar age. I did ring R-R at Crewe many moons ago, to ask how many MPG a Rolls-Royce did (as we were debating it at work), to which a posh voice replied "if you need to as that question Sir, you can't afford one". One owner told me he got 18 MPG typically and 24 on a longer run. 36 MPG might be over-optimistic, to say the least.
                Creator of the Retr0bright Wiki - www.retr0bright.wikispaces.com and Admin at www.amibay.com - the retro computer trading forum - and Bigian88's Dad.....

Comment

those sound like the numbers from the later fuel injection, mine is twin SU carbs
                  Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Had a crawl underneath today, primarily looking at the internal states of the lower sills which externally are showing small signs of surface rust where the plastikote has worn away. Sills are good, a sand down, some rust treatment and then a new layer of plastikote should be all it needs, a few days of hard work on the shoulders though.

Have plans for some more work being done next week at the garage now after crawling underneath. There is way too much play in the rear anti-roll bar, one side more than the other so I think I'm going to need new anti-roll bar links, I think the link has gone not just the bush, but without the ability put up properly on stands, guesswork. Going in on Monday to be checked over.
                    Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Jack the car up, then put another jack under the wishbone, jack up the wheel, then you can take the ARB droplink off and give a good clean and inspect it etc.

They do wear out/break. I dunno how you would go about getting a replacement for a really old car though.
                      GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

I can actually get them off the shelf

https://www.introcar.co.uk/lookbook/...1-13859-li2875

Getting the car safely onto stands isn't an option outside the house - on a hill and a nasty kerb drop and road camber. With the Discovery I was a little more "don't care" if it fell off stands or supports, and then I had backups of the original wheels and tyres anyway. on sides under neath as stand backups. Was able to get the Disco secure and high enough to replace the shocks.

Bit of a different story with this, camber means that I have to put my bottle jack on blocks, my stands on some old decking and even then I struggled to get at the fuel pump! Combine all that with where the weight is and the length of the wheelbase, it's in the shop! I've not heard back today now I come to think of it, but no rush = lower per hour

Forum Guidelines here

Comment

well - again on this car I'm proved wrong - nothing wrong with droplinks at all

A nice split in the rear spring though

Again though, parts are off the shelf originals. this one does have the potential to get a lot worse and the plate that the spring sits on that is on the trailing arm, is known for corrosion - there is a repair plate available though, so it's not a parts thing again - needs dedicated RR tools to do the job. (allegedly, I did springs on a landy with ratchet straps on an emergency repair at a 4x4 day!)

Forum Guidelines here

Comment

bin it and buy a VAG
                            i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

Originally posted by BigIan88 View Post
                              bin it and buy a VAG
                              Says you, whose a**e has just fallen out at the cost of a 12 bulb holder..
                              Creator of the Retr0bright Wiki - www.retr0bright.wikispaces.com and Admin at www.amibay.com - the retro computer trading forum - and Bigian88's Dad.....

Comment

Originally posted by 633Squadron View Post

Says you, whose a**e has just fallen out at the cost of a 12 bulb holder..
                                LOL - this bit of work will take the entire profit from one wedding - or 4 hours "work". I allow 1 hour car-prep and roughly 3 hours for a wedding with the driving, the photos and guests who want to sit in a Rolls Royce. I so need a garage, got a Maserati on my autotrader watchlist ......
                                Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Working...
                                X