The "Ian vs Cars" Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Ian vs Cars" Thread

It seems I'm not destined to have money in my bank or drive without troubles

Last night my Mazda 3 cut out 4-5 times on me. Once idle at a set of traffic lights and a few times as I was setting off in 1st gear accompanied by a lack of power or slight juddering when I'm putting my foot down to go a bit faster.

Each time, I turned the engine off and back on again and everything worked fine again for a few minutes but it seemed to struggle to maintain low revs and cut out (as if I've stalled) even when the clutch was fully engaged.

For the last week or so I've had a few noises from *something* each morning which I thought might have been part of the car warming the engine up as we've had some cold, icy mornings recently which is why I've not looked into it further and this morning the noise was a lot louder to the point it was a concern.

I recorded a short video of the sound, this was as soon as the engine was switched on with no fans or air con running:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quL3PAmYvr8

After doing a bit of research it reads as if it might be an issue with my alternator either on its way out or struggling to keep up with the cold weather but I know next to nothing about how a car works. I don't suppose any of you guys are familiar with this?
    i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

An alternator is really easy to test pal, Google is your friend here. All you need to test alternator is a multimeter and time. This video looks ok as a starting point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGB6ZEjGm7Q but I would start looking at the battery first. I had a problem with a car not wanting to start and being funny with a clicking noise from the engine bay, pulled the battery and charged it over night and was ok for a few days then back to the same problem. Turned out to be the battery not holding a charge. One trip to Euro Car Parts and wallet about 50 lighter, had a new battery and a trouble free car. Hope this helps a bit pal.
    Last edited by le4thab; 18-02-16, 11:01.

Comment

The alternator theory is literally based on the back of what a work colleagues suggestion was and after a quick read around, apparently a 'noise' can be heard if its on its way out. Not knowing what this sound is or where its situated under the bonnet means I'm left to guess and do more reading for now.
      i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

what engine's in that car mate?

Comment

Originally posted by niceguyrichy View Post
          what engine's in that car mate?

Its a 1.6 Diesel, I couldn't tell you any more than that mate

Comment

Originally posted by BigIan88 View Post
            It seems I'm not destined to have money in my bank or drive without troubles

Last night my Mazda 3 cut out 4-5 times on me. Once idle at a set of traffic lights and a few times as I was setting off in 1st gear accompanied by a lack of power or slight juddering when I'm putting my foot down to go a bit faster.

Each time, I turned the engine off and back on again and everything worked fine again for a few minutes but it seemed to struggle to maintain low revs and cut out (as if I've stalled) even when the clutch was fully engaged.

For the last week or so I've had a few noises from *something* each morning which I thought might have been part of the car warming the engine up as we've had some cold, icy mornings recently which is why I've not looked into it further and this morning the noise was a lot louder to the point it was a concern.

I recorded a short video of the sound, this was as soon as the engine was switched on with no fans or air con running:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quL3PAmYvr8

After doing a bit of research it reads as if it might be an issue with my alternator either on its way out or struggling to keep up with the cold weather but I know next to nothing about how a car works. I don't suppose any of you guys are familiar with this?
            I feel your pain... Our car just went in for a major service today. The ESP light has been on for a while - the garage came back with a quote of 580 to replace the ABS pump. After phoning around, the cheapest I could find it at an independent place was 450.. Cars are expensive....

Originally posted by coiler
            Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
              I feel your pain... Our car just went in for a major service today. The ESP light has been on for a while - the garage came back with a quote of 580 to replace the ABS pump. After phoning around, the cheapest I could find it at an independent place was 450.. Cars are expensive....

My DPF light still comes on from time to time but it turns itself off after a few days so I think its regenerating itself a lot better nowadays.

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately a traction control warning light is an MOT failure now - which is due in a few weeks.. So no choice but to get it fixed really..

Originally posted by coiler
                Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

a bit of googling suggests that that engine is susceptible to filter blockage, and problems with needing the oil changed religiously.
                  new filter & full oil change is probably about the cheapest thing to start with trying anyway, I guess

Comment

It had a service around September/October and I put some Redex in it last week with 2/3 of a tank of fuel (because it was on offer in Asda) so it shouldn't be due another service for a while unless something drastic has happened?

Comment

I'd recommend Millers over redex from my experience on the diesel additives.. it stopepd mine smoking like a trooper..

My car is as we speak up on a ramp for new bushes, arms and also disks and pads.. with oil and filter changes it's going to cost me someplace in the region of 300 notes today (

Comment

I try to alternate tanks with regular diesel (BP or Shell) and premium stuff, to ensure the engine remains healthy.

I don't want this car dying like my Punto did

Comment

Sounds like we'll be taking mine to Snowdon in April though )
                          for convenience I just use millers 1 dose every second tank it doesn't cost too much that way and keeps her purring a little bit better (or as well as you can with 194,000 on the clock)

Comment

Sounds like car is going into limp mode possibly caused by fault code from alternator, and turning off briefly resets it.

Noise could be assembly pulley which went on mine, belt or the alternator itself.

Alternator pulley assembly cost 300 when mine went, but cured noise and limp mode which would kick in on motorway.
                            Originally posted by Aaron
                            I want those sweet cherries

Comment

When it cuts out, there's no errors or warning lights on the dashboard other than the steering wheel/exclamation mark one which shows up when the car has stalled, which disappears when its turned off and back on again so I can continue driving.

Comment

Working...
                              X