Spec me a new radio.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spec me a new radio.

My Van's radio has given up and it was pretty bad when turned up above 8 so looking for a new one.

I don't have a lot to spend on this...
    I have been eyeing up the super cheap £13 ones off fleebay but I am pretty sure I wont be picking up any ladies with that thing.
    There is also one for 19.99 on big river that has good reviews.

The slot is a single DIN, uses the ISO standard for conectors
    http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...704_204227.jpg

Looking for something with Bluetooth. Don't really use FM other than news and TA but it will come with it obviously..
    Don't use CDs or USB...

Thanks
    Jack,
    Last edited by Jackster; 18-10-17, 11:41.

I've a Sony BT headunit in the shed, apparently it doesn't suit the Rolls so I've not been allowed to install it. Great unit, sub connectors, steering wheel control compatible (although you always require an adapter). You can pick them up for about £50 on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Sony-MEX-BT...iver/134287062
    Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
    Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleTop View Post
      I've a Sony BT headunit in the shed, apparently it doesn't suit the Rolls so I've not been allowed to install it. Great unit, sub connectors, steering wheel control compatible (although you always require an adapter). You can pick them up for about £50 on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Sony-MEX-BT...iver/134287062
      Thanks

But I decided to try the £19.99 one off big river as it looked a bit better than the £13 one.
      Absolutely fine by the looks of it.

My speakers can't output the high volume stuff anyway so I am sure this thing is a bit better than them.
      Bluetooth is fast and comes on automatically when I turn the radio on.

Not tried the FM yet, I am waiting on the antenna DIN to ISO to arrive.
      But good enough..

Comment

A £19.99 radio, whatever next

The radio in my Golf cost £1200 as a dealer option

Originally posted by Aria
        On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

That's because you got it from a vw dealer!

Probably¬*cost the best part of £50 to make - if that.

Originally posted by coiler
          Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

So not getting the best reception on the FM side of things.
            My original radio wasn't perfect with FM but could pick up all the BBC, Gem106 and Capital. This thing is not picking up anything other than the local stations transmitted within 500-1000 meters from my location.
            It does pick up Gem106 sometimes at the Copt Oak transmitter that is around 25 miles away but none of the BBC stations from Sutton Coldfield mast.
            I am just north of Derby and we get pretty decent reception being up on top of one of the tall hills in this location.
            Last edited by Jackster; 23-10-17, 13:56.

Comment

What aerial are you running? I assume this is standard FM and not DAB?

On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

Originally posted by M4T VW View Post
                What aerial are you running? I assume this is standard FM and not DAB?

Correct.
                Stock Citroen Nemo/Peugeot Bipper everything.

Did have to get a DIN to ISO converter for the antenna cable.
                Probably the point of failure.

Comment

Do you know if it's a powered antenna? If you got a basic cable it might not have the power cable (a thin blue wire) to power the antenna.

Comment

Originally posted by M4T VW View Post
                    Do you know if it's a powered antenna? If you got a basic cable it might not have the power cable (a thin blue wire) to power the antenna.
                    Ahhhh that might be it.
                    The ISO cable had a blue and another colour. The other is for ignition key so that is probably what it is for..
                    Last edited by Jackster; 24-10-17, 11:47.

Comment

Yes, The blue wire on the aerial adapter is for power to the antenna. If this is not connected you are just currently using a piece of wire as your aerial which would explain the short reception. Your wiring harness adapter should have matching blue wire to connect to.

Comment

Working...
                      X