Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So bye bye petrol/diesel cars by 2040 with outright ban coming into force.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So bye bye petrol/diesel cars by 2040 with outright ban coming into force.

Made me wonder? what about all old classic cars and race track cars people have? what's going to happen to them?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40726868

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

It's 23 years away, it'll never happen. It's just a meme to make it seem like we're 'doing' something about the hot topic of emissions and global warming.

Chances are we'll mostly have moved away from 'fuelled' cars anyway.
    Originally posted by coiler
    He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
    Originally posted by BigIan88
    turn off that sexy nonsense
    Originally posted by Salad Soup
    turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

Its just the sale of new cars, they wont take away your car.

As above, probably never happen. Even in the unlikely event it does, if you really want a petrol car I am sure there will be ways.

Probably some political thing behind the whole thing anyway, no petrol or deisel cars, what do you think that is going to do to the economy of the middle east?
      GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

I'm sure it could happen, but I doubt it will need to.

The vast majority of manufacturers are starting to look towards hybrids and even full electric already. By 2025 I suspect most new vehicles being sold will be electric anyway or at least hybrid.
        Last edited by Toonshorty; 26-07-17, 20:23.

Comment

It says sales ban.. not ban on the cars that have already been sold..
          FILM QUIZ!!!!? Name the film from the quote!!
          "Right. Better clench up, Legolas"

Comment

Originally posted by R1gg4 View Post
            It says sales ban.. not ban on the cars that have already been sold..
            My thinking is they will force you by making insurance/fuel/tax so expensive you have no choice but to scrap your car.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Well they need to start investing in battery research big time and fast charge stations...I for one wouldn't mind an electric car if they didn't make them look crap or too expensive ...focus/fiesta ..astra/corsa ...golf/polo electrified and they would sell by the bucket load....but the oil giants won't let that happen
              posted by scrivz69
              I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
              i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

On the radio this morning talking about tower blocks and where would you charge, lampposts were suggested, and they were saying how unfeasible it would be in large towncentres.

I think a sensible mix of electric cars VS efficient cleaner petrol would be the best outcome in 2040! With Derv phased out over next 20 years.
                Originally posted by Aaron
                I want those sweet cherries

Comment

Originally posted by omega View Post
                  It's 23 years away, it'll never happen. It's just a meme to make it seem like we're 'doing' something about the hot topic of emissions and global warming.
                  My thought exactly. At least five general elections away, probably many more.

It is a sign of a government with no chance of achieving anything meaningful, flailing around looking for stuff to announce so that the Daily Fail don't crucify it.

So, let's announce something pie in the sky to stop people from asking about really important stuff.

Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
                  Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
                  Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Originally posted by joker3327 View Post
                    ....but the oil giants won't let that happen
                    Nice to see that the old conspiracy theories are still with us.

Something tells me that Elon Musk doesn't give a monkey's about oil companies.

Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
                    Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
                    Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

It will never happen. They simply couldn't produce the power required to charge them all let alone find all the lithium for the batteries in the first place.
                      To charge an electric car at home you need a 32 amp power supply. Most houses have 2 cars so thats 64 amps. The feed to your house is 80/100 amps on a single phase and you are already using ~20 of that with ovens, hobs, computers, TV's etc.
                      That means you need a 3 phase supply to your house (you can have 2 phase) which has to be put underground so they will charge you for it. The tarrif on 3 phase is also a lot more expensive!

The only way this can happen is hybrids which they have not banned in 2040.
                      I'm happy with a Porsche 918 if they want everyone to use hybrids by then...

Originally posted by Aria
                      On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

good.

that is all.
                        "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                        Plato

Comment

Originally posted by joker3327 View Post
                          Well they need to start investing in battery research big time and fast charge stations..
                          This!

We'll be solving one energy problem and causing another. With current batteries taking hours to charge, its not really feasible to sit at a motorway service station or garage forecourt for 6+ hours whilst it charges. Not to mention, that Lithium Ion batteries are notoriously difficult to manufacture at the moment...
                          i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

Originally posted by michaelkenward View Post

Nice to see that the old conspiracy theories are still with us.

Something tells me that Elon Musk doesn't give a monkey's about oil companies.
                            Gotta Love a good conspiracy ....... OPEC will protect and the Arab nations will revolt lol....and a world reliant on Oil will crumble ...wheres my fallout shelter.... you heard it here first!!
                            posted by scrivz69
                            i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

Originally posted by BigIan88 View Post

This!

We'll be solving one energy problem and causing another. With current batteries taking hours to charge, its not really feasible to sit at a motorway service station or garage forecourt for 6+ hours whilst it charges. Not to mention, that Lithium Ion batteries are notoriously difficult to manufacture at the moment...
                              Hydrogen Fuel cells.....
                              posted by scrivz69

Comment

Working...
                              X