• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Dear, Xiaomi Owners Beware!

oh this is good

Xiaomi has backdoor in its phones right out of the box

the highlights:-

Xiaomi is often referred to as the 'Apple of China' with its massive sales and growing following in the China, but now a report from Thijs Broenink has surfaced that has Xiaomi the AnalyticsCore.apk that arrives pre-installed on all Xiaomi smartphones, which allows the company to install code onto the smartphone without you noticing, with total access to every single bit and byte of your data.

It gets better, as this backdoor calls back to Xiaomi every 24 hours, sending the user's "IMEI, MAC address, Model, Nonce, Package name and signature". This data gets analyzed, and told which apps to install - as it can overwrite your signed, pre-installed apps with modified versions of them.
    that's pretty serious actually...

I have read this before and take it with a pinch of salt lol, always someone trying to rubbish them.

Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7. Ryzen 1700. 16GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB. Zotac GTX980ti Amp Omega Edition. Samsung 840 500 GB SSD. WD 1 TB Green. XFX 750w XTR Psu. Creative GIgaworks T20 series 2 speakers. Asus DX 7.1. Phanteks Enthoo ATX Glass case. iiyama G-master GE2788HS Monitor. Cyborg V7. TT Theron mouse.

Comment

Assuming me being on a completely different ROM based on cyangenmod am unaffected?
      Last edited by Finners; 17-09-16, 10:16.
      i7 2600K @ 4.5| Asrock Z68 Extreme4| 16GB 1866Mhz Crucial Ballistix |AMD R9 290| 120GB SSD |Win7 64bit

Comment

I didn't think this was much of a story, until I saw that it reported back your Nonce information.

Originally posted by coiler
        Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Lets be honest though, if this was apple half the forum would be frothing at the mouth by now.

Comment

True!

Originally posted by coiler
            Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Originally posted by Mokey View Post
              Lets be honest though, if this was apple half the forum would be frothing at the mouth by now.
              Let's be honest, Apple already have every bit of your data, as do Google. We use smartphones because they're convenient, not because they're bastions of privacy.

Comment

Chinese tech company installing backdoors into their hardware? That's not news, it's a given...
                Why did the chicken cross the road?
                To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkY View Post
                  Chinese tech company installing backdoors into their hardware? That's not news, it's a given...
                  Makes me question all the companies I deal with using Huawei enterprise switches and routers.... how much do they trust the software ?
                  --
                  Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Chinese already getting into national infrastructure, just look at Hinkley point c.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Working...
                    X