LG G5 - Mobile World Congress 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LG G5 - Mobile World Congress 2016

Really surprised nobody has posted about this! The add-ons look very innovative (if not a slight novelty) and the design looks spot on. Been holding off upgrading my HTC One M7 for a few months now, think it'll be worth the wait.

I'll just leave these here:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/21/11...price-mwc-2016
    Main Rig: A8 7670k @4.5GHz // Gigabyte F2A88-XM D3H // 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz // Sapphire Nitro R9 380 // Samsung 850 250GB // Samsung F3 500GB // EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 // Dell U2312HM // Zowie EC2
    Dell Inspiron 15 Special Edition:
    i7 3612QM // 6GB RAM // 7730M // Samsung 840 250GB // Backlit K/B // 1080p Panel // Soundblaster Evo Wireless

I was reading about this earlier today and I'm not entirely sold on it yet. The addons look like an ugly gimmick, and not very well designed (having to power the device off to install an addon is a little annoying in the 21st century). Furthermore, I really can't see them making any more than a handful of different plugins due to the cost of developing and manufacturing them. So it's going to be an ugly, rarely used, and poorly supported gimmick.

However, being able to replace the battery is a major plus point.

I'll be interested to see how this phone sells. But the cynic in me things this will be a flop.

Comment

Looks clunky and a little bit gimmicky. Turn the phone on and off to change modular parts . The camera addon doing the same things on the phone but with a better grip and physical buttons. I think id pass and just use the phone than pay ott with an accessory that dosent do to much at all.
      Alienware m15x I Intel Core i7 720qm I 8gb Kingston DDR3 I AMD M6000 2gb (7870m) I Full 1080 I Intel 3160AC wifi

RIG I Zalman z3 I Evga 600b I Intel core i5 3570k@Stock I Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-b3 I 8gb DDR3 1600mhz Exceleram I Amd XFX R9 290 4gb@1000/1300 NZXT Kraken with corsair h55 AIO I 1tb Samsung spinpoint / 500gb Hitachi deskstar

Comment

add ons never worked for consoles like sega megadrive, so why they think this will work with mobile phone?

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

I can't see how it's going to "flop" based on optional add ons? In the end it's still a G5 even if you don't care for the addons.

I actually like the idea. I can see some people liking the camera module but I think there's scope for other ideas, extended battery add on perhaps?

What I don't like is LG's tweaks to stock Android which for the most part don't fit. They even removed the app tray now apparently? If I wanted iOS I would buy an iPhone...
          i5 2500k | 16GB RAM | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC | 256GB + 240GB SSDs | 1TB + 3TB HDDs | Define R5 Black | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz + BenQ 24" 1080p 144Hz

Comment

Originally posted by Joshimitsu91 View Post
            I can't see how it's going to "flop" based on optional add ons? In the end it's still a G5 even if you don't care for the addons.

I actually like the idea. I can see some people liking the camera module but I think there's scope for other ideas, extended battery add on perhaps?

What I don't like is LG's tweaks to stock Android which for the most part don't fit. They even removed the app tray now apparently? If I wanted iOS I would buy an iPhone...
            I agree, although the process of swapping the add-ons is a bit of a pain, I do like the concept of them. Depending on their prices, I could actually see myself using the camera add-on. The robot ball looks cool as a novelty, but I reckon it would wear off quickly.

Leaving the 'friends' out of it though, I do really like the phone itself. I think it looks the part, the hardware is good and to me seems like my next replacement phone. One thing I am really put off by is the change in UI though!
            Main Rig: A8 7670k @4.5GHz // Gigabyte F2A88-XM D3H // 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz // Sapphire Nitro R9 380 // Samsung 850 250GB // Samsung F3 500GB // EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 // Dell U2312HM // Zowie EC2
            Dell Inspiron 15 Special Edition:
            i7 3612QM // 6GB RAM // 7730M // Samsung 840 250GB // Backlit K/B // 1080p Panel // Soundblaster Evo Wireless

Comment

Originally posted by Joshimitsu91 View Post
              Possibly because without the addons it's just yet another generic smart phone in a crowded market where LG has a history of failing to sell as well as the other heavyweights. And possibly coupled with the fact that many people might not be able to look past the novelty of the addons (just look at how much we're talking about that when compared with the other "features" on that phone), then they'll likely instead turn to one of the many slews of other similar devices available.

Comment

Working...
              X