No announcement yet.

Can I put a 'Data Only' SIM in a phone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I put a 'Data Only' SIM in a phone?

Managed to get hold of an invite code for the OnePlus 2, so I'm looking at options for what to do with the dual SIM capability as I'd hate to waste that functionality especially when my signal is hit and miss anyway living in a rural area.

I've already got The One Plan from Three, so this is purely as a backup for when I'm out of signal. And I very rarely call/text anyway, it's all digital messaging via WhatsApp/Messenger etc. Or to get me out of a pickle if I'm using Maps at the time for example.

So could I run a data only SIM, the type you normally put in a tablet, as my second SIM? Thus giving me xGB of backup, without paying extra to get calls/texts bundled with it?
    Intel i5-2500K @ 4GHz | 8GB DDR3 | ASUS GTX 970 | 500GB 850 EVO | Corsair H60 | Fractal Define S | Corsair SP2500 2.1 | ASUS 29" 2560x1080 IPS

Twitter / Instagram / YouTube

in theory i would say yes.

in the real world idk if you can make the phone use sim 1 for x and sim 2 for y :s
    "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
    Plato

Comment

I don't think it would need to would it?

All I'd want it to do is:

Does SIM 1 have signal? If yes, use SIM 1, if no, use SIM 2.

Or do you think it would want to use them both all the time?
      Intel i5-2500K @ 4GHz | 8GB DDR3 | ASUS GTX 970 | 500GB 850 EVO | Corsair H60 | Fractal Define S | Corsair SP2500 2.1 | ASUS 29" 2560x1080 IPS

Comment

sorry dude i misunderstood what you wanted to do.

i thought you wanted to use one for data and one for a phone.
        "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
        Plato

Comment

I don't see why not.. All the sim card does is connect you to a network. The network then allows you to use certain services, depending on your contract etc. If your sim card is on a contract that doesn't include free minutes or texts, then you just won't be able to make use of that function..

Originally posted by coiler
          Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
            I don't see why not.. All the sim card does is connect you to a network. The network then allows you to use certain services, depending on your contract etc. If your sim card is on a contract that doesn't include free minutes or texts, then you just won't be able to make use of that function..

This is what I assumed, I guess I could always just ask the network provider to be sure!

Comment

I have a dual sim phone and you can allocate activities to separate sims..... eg voice/text to sim one data to sim 2 or video to sim 1 voice to sim 2 etc etc... thats on a Zopo 1000.... its a budget phone so if that can do it I cant see why the better specc'd OP2 shouldnt be able to...

The only issue I have fouind with dual sim stand by is that for some reason I cant get the name of the caller to display...it seems to only want to show the number calling..... I have managed to get it to work one...by having the phonebook on the sim card..... but then you get double entries when you look for a number....
              posted by scrivz69
              I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
              i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

Working...
              X