No announcement yet.

Satoshi Nakamoto

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I'm actually less convinced as time goes on. On the other hand Gavin Andreeson is backing him and he's a fairly respected figure. At the moment, I think everyone's confused . Perhaps that was the plan?

Comment

What I don't understand is he's a cryptographer and we already have some cryptographic keys of his due to the nature of bitcoin. It shouldn't be hard for him to provide a cryptographically, mathematical, publishable, proof of his identity. But instead he relies on smoke and mirrors. It's all very strange.

The only explanations I can think of is:
      • Wright isn't Satoshi Nakamoto and has been pressured into a false confession for whatever reason (eg threats to personal security due to him being speculated as Satoshi Nakamoto, so feels he would gain greater protection from bitcoin advocates if he came forward)
      • or Wright is Satoshi Nakamoto but he's lost his original keys and doesn't want to disclose that for whatever reason (eg worried it might destabilize the currency if people found out there was a sizable share of the currency that is lost)

I think either are plausible, but neither are likely to ever be conclusively proven.

Comment

Someone did full breakdown for evidence for and against. The evidence against is quite compelling.

https://www.nikcub.com/posts/craig-w...oshi-nakamoto/

2. Craig Wright is being investigated by the Australian Tax Office and appears to be accused of tax fraud. Wright operated under a number of different companies: Hotwire, DeMorgan, CloudCroft, Panopticrypt, Coin-Ex, Denariuz and at least a couple of others. We know that on the day the Wired and Gizmodo stories were written that Wright’s home and office in Sydney were raided by agentsinvestigating for the Australian Tax Office. It was speculated that this was because of Wright’s Bitcoin holdings, and Wright told The BBC he was “being audited”, but documents from the administrators of Wright’s companies tell a different story.The administrators note from May 2014 details what Hotwire did:
        The Company’s main activity was the acquisition of various e-learning and e-payment software and undertaking research and development work in respect of this software and for software owned by related entities
        how it was funded:
        The Directors have advised that $30 million was subscribed to by the shareholders in paid up capital and this was injected via Bitcoins
        and how that funding was spent:
        The Company applied its equity as follows:
        – $29 million to acquire software from the Wright Family Trust (“the Trust”); and
        – $1 million to fund day to day trading activities.

What Wright did was establish a company for the purpose of carrying out research and development on e-learning software it had acquired from Wrights own trust. Wright would inject $30 million in Bitcoin to fund the company, $29 million of which would be paid to Wright’s trust to acquire the software and $1 million of which would fund operational costs – including an office in Sydney and 40 employees.
        The purpose for the structure and why someone could commit fraud in this way becomes clear in the next action the company takes:
        Further to incurring a range of expenses, the Company lodged its GST return for the September 2013 quarter, claiming a GST refund of $3.1 million (“the GST refund”). After various discussions and correspondence, the ATO issued a notice to the Company on 20 January 2014 notifying that it intended to withhold the refund pending further verification of transactions and the treatment of Bitcoin.
        The sales tax (GST) component of the $29 million invested by Wright into the company was eligible for a refund. Thus by shuffling around some Bitcoin between entities you control yourself, it is possible to trigger a sales tax refund (in real cash).
        Another Wright entity, DeMorgan, made the largest ever R&D tax concession claim in Australia – as per their own press release. The R&D tax concession is a program in Australia where companies investing in R&D are eligible for a 45% tax refund on each dollar spent. We know now that the supercomputers that were claimed to be part of this spending didn’t exist, so it is possible that the refund was an attempt to make a false claim.
        While it is still early in the investigations against Wright’s companies, one can come away from reading about his firms with the conclusion that their primary business was to seek tax refunds from the government, and that most of the businesses were setup precisely for this. The administrators in the Hotwire company said as much when they describe almost the entirety of the firms assets as two outstanding refunds from the tax office (one of which, a sales tax refund, was later declined and a penalty of $1.7 million was applied to the company).
        How this relates to the Nakamoto claim from Wright is potentially also the motive behind his actions. It suited Wright to be Nakamoto when he needed to raise money from investors, or to talk his way out of a problem. Nakamoto, as most know, is sitting on hundreds of millions of dollars worth of Bitcoin – investors and regulators could view this as a security – and it was in this context that Wright mentioned his ‘running’ Bitcoin to the authorities.
        On the other hand it doesn’t suit Wright for a large number of people know he is Nakamoto – as, unlike investors, lawyers and regulators – he would eventually bump into somebody who would challenge him on the claim and require some form of hard proof.
        In terms of why the story of Wright being Nakamoto was made public I can offer a few theories. The first is that one too many people found out and one of them, potentially a disgruntled employee or investor, decided to leak as an act of revenge. The second theory is that Wright, knowing it was over for his companies and that authorities were closing in, concocted the leak himself as the first step towards a new life in London as Satoshi Nakamoto (Wright fled Australia and has not returned).
        Wright’s investments in his ventures and the other related-party transactions involved the transfer of Bitcoin worth millions of dollars. I have been unable to locate a transaction on the blockchain – but there was a lot of price volatility at the time which requires a more exhaustive search of the blocks from the September quarter in 2013. But Wright should be able to point to this transaction, or any other transaction involving large sums of Bitcoin that he was involved in (we know that this $30 million transfer did not come from the known Satoshi coins).
        The story of Wright as Nakamoto is intricately linked with the story of Wright as the founder of a number of startup ventures that failed and the resulting tax issues. We will never completely understand the motives here until the full scope of what happen at these companies is understood and the Australians have completed their investigation.
        3. The experience of those who have worked for or know Craig Wright. Sydney is a global city but in many ways it is a small town – I found out after the Wired report that I knew two people who had worked for Wright. Since the stories published today I have come to hear – either directly or second-hand – from a number of other people who either worked for or knew Wright. The conclusion is near-unanimous: Wright is not Satoshi Nakamoto, and is not capable of being Satoshi Nakamoto. One friend described how Wright is so convincing that even tho he knew he wasn’t capable of creating Bitcoin, he would at times even doubt himself. Another said that Wright has everybody convinced for at least a short period – but then it begins to unravel as his actions do not match his word. He came away from his experience convinced that Wright is a fraud. Yet another person who worked for Wright characterized him (via a third-party) as “the best conman i’ve ever met”

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Originally posted by cold fusion View Post
          What I don't understand is he's a cryptographer and we already have some cryptographic keys of his due to the nature of bitcoin. It shouldn't be hard for him to provide a cryptographically, mathematical, publishable, proof of his identity. But instead he relies on smoke and mirrors. It's all very strange.

The only explanations I can think of is:
          • Wright isn't Satoshi Nakamoto and has been pressured into a false confession for whatever reason (eg threats to personal security due to him being speculated as Satoshi Nakamoto, so feels he would gain greater protection from bitcoin advocates if he came forward)
          • or Wright is Satoshi Nakamoto but he's lost his original keys and doesn't want to disclose that for whatever reason (eg worried it might destabilize the currency if people found out there was a sizable share of the currency that is lost)

I think either are plausible, but neither are likely to ever be conclusively proven.
          Or it's a double bluff and he is but wants people to think he isn't by releasing some dodgy evidence and making any other evidence look suspect casting more doubt on himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mokey View Post
            Or it's a double bluff and he is but wants people to think he isn't by releasing some dodgy evidence and making any other evidence look suspect casting more doubt on himself.
            That seems like a lot of work just to alienate one's self further.

After reading k3vst3r's post, I'm inclined to believe Wright was pressured into a false confession due his failing financial and legal situation. Maybe he thinks the notoriety of Satoshi Nakamoto might offer him some kind of safe harbor.

Comment

Bitcoin 'creator' backs out of Satoshi coin move 'proof':
              http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36213580

I'm not totally convinced, however I do sympathise with his points re privacy et al.

Comment

Isn't it also likely that he's doing this, knowing full well he isn't Satoshi, in an attempt to flush the real Satoshi(s) out?
                Originally posted by coiler
                He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
                Originally posted by BigIan88
                turn off that sexy nonsense
                Originally posted by Salad Soup
                turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

Originally posted by omega View Post
                  Isn't it also likely that he's doing this, knowing full well he isn't Satoshi, in an attempt to flush the real Satoshi(s) out?
                  No. I don't think that's likely at all. It's a rage quit, clear and simple.

Comment

I think it's now pretty clear to everyone that he's not Satoshi:
                    https://news.bitcoin.com/gq-sweary-audio-craig-wright/

Give it 6 months and I'm sure someone else will be highlighted as Satoshi (http://forums.aria.co.uk/showthread....=1#post2587296)

Comment

I'M SATOSHI!!!!
                      "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                      Plato

Comment

Originally posted by luke22 View Post
                        I'M SATOSHI!!!!

and so is my wife!
                        i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

I'M SATOSHI!!!!
                          I always had my suspicions you were

Comment

I'M SATOSHI!!!!
                            Give us all a few bitcoins then you stingy git!

Originally posted by coiler
                            Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

but yea, even i know enough about bitcoin to know nobody can do that

need to own an exchange to steal all the coins
                              "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                              Plato

Comment

Working...
                              X