Satoshi Nakamoto

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satoshi Nakamoto

Seems likely he's finally come out of the woodwork, interesting stuff.

http://www.wired.com/2015/12/bitcoin...ralian-genius/

Not really. Just another fluff piece speculating about the real figure. Happens every 6 months or so.

Comment

Originally posted by cold fusion View Post
      Not really. Just another fluff piece speculating about the real figure. Happens every 6 months or so.
      This one is has quite a lot more going for it than the others though.

- Was posting about the subject around 2008
      - Has all the skills required
      - Is basically confirmed to be the owner of the PGP key associated with the 1.1 million BTC account which has been sat unused since the dawn of bitcoin and placed in a trust to be unlocked in 2020
      - Owns a company called 'Tulip Trading' which owns the largest privately owned supercomputer in the Top 500 list. (The trust fund controlling the 1.1 million BTCs is called the 'Tulip Trust', both in-joke references to the 'Tulip Fever', the first recorded instance of a speculative bubble)
      - Made a blog post the day after the BTC launch in Jan 10th 2009 in which he said "The Beta of Bitcoin is live tomorrow. This is decentralized… We try until it works" - deleted now, but archived.
      - Former subscriber to the cypherpunks mailing list in the 90s
      - Skilled C++ coder
      - Libertarian political leanings
      - Fan of japanese culture

This is a lot of coincidences. It's either legit or it's one of the most carefully placed and prepared backstories in the history of forever, which was started before bitcoin was anything anybody even knew about. Did you actually read the article?

It could still be a fake, but if it is then it's someone actively trying to look like the bitcoin guy, unlike those other poor saps who were incorrectly named.

Comment

Yeah I read the article. It did make some convincing arguments. But then so do many other the other articles I've read that suggested other individuals.

I'm not saying this article is wrong. Just that it's speculative. Most of the evidence is purely circumstantial.

This is a lot of coincidences. It's either legit or it's one of the most carefully placed and prepared backstories in the history of forever...
        Or it's just a lot of coincidences. I cover a few of those bullet points plus a few others not mentioned and I'm certainly not Satoshi Nakamoto

But as I said, I'm not trying to disprove the article. It might well be right. But I'm not going to assume that "he's finally come out of the woodwork" based on circumstantial evidence and hearsay.

Comment

There is a point where a number of circumstantial indicators reach a point where it becomes statistically highly improbable not to be correct.

At any rate, I thought it was pretty interesting stuff. The timing of him getting raided by the police shortly after the article went out is also pretty 'coincidental'

Comment

Originally posted by andyn View Post
            There is a point where a number of circumstantial indicators reach a point where it becomes statistically highly improbable not to be correct.
            Not necessarily. Evidence is often invented to prove an argument. Since most of the "smoking gun" arguments in that article require cached data from deleted content, it's possible (though not saying likely either) that data has been forged. In fact it would actually be very easy to forge that data, should one be inclined.

At any rate, I thought it was pretty interesting stuff. The timing of him getting raided by the police shortly after the article went out is also pretty 'coincidental'
            [/quote]
            I missed that part!

Why was he raided?

Comment

"Tax Reasons", nothing to do with him suddenly being fingered as the possible inventor of bitcoins, and I'm equally certain that the Aussie government weren't leaned on by the USA, just like they weren't with Kim Dotcom .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-35048309

Comment

Great read,
                Originally posted by Aaron
                I want those sweet cherries

Comment

its normally around now you start to quote sagan about extraordinary claims and requiring extraordinary proof...

interesting how some coincidental evidence is, statistically highly improbable not to be correct while other, equally statistically stacked evidence is blatantly fake

"Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                  Plato

Comment

Originally posted by luke22 View Post
                    its normally around now you start to quote sagan about extraordinary claims and requiring extraordinary proof...

interesting how some coincidental evidence is, statistically highly improbable not to be correct while other, equally statistically stacked evidence is blatantly fake

Not really, I assume you're talking about 9/11 claims etc? Most of the 'evidence' presented by those 'truthers' is so laughably thin it wouldn't stand up to a gentle breeze, and easily shown to be nonsense when scrutinised with any rigour. The classic example being people screaming about 'steel doesn't melt at that temperature' while totally failing to understand that steel becomes considerably less strong at temperatures well below melting point. The perils of black and white views of the universe, I guess - an inability to appreciate nuance.

I'm also not saying that the guy is Satoshi Nakamoti, I'm just saying that there is a lot of evidence that he is. Feel free to disprove any or all of that evidence, and I will then change my position, which is that on balance at the moment he looks like he probably is.

In science there are no fixed positions. It's only 'truthers' and other religious types who hold to such fallacies. Science is flexible, because there is no single 'truth', only a continuously developing understanding of the universe around us.

And as for it being an 'extraordainary claim', I don't see how, given that he's more or less admitted it in his various posts or communications, and he fits all of the facts.

Comment

I'm also not saying that the guy is Satoshi Nakamoti...

And as for it being an 'extraordainary claim', I don't see how, given that he's more or less admitted it in his various posts or communications....
                      i don't even know where to start...

i'm not saying it's aliens
                      but it is aliens

"Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                      Plato

Comment

Yes, because clearly having someone identified as a currently unidentified individual who is known to exist, is the same as positing that all of human history since the dawn of time has been shaped by the lizard people. Your logic is unimpeachable, I will give up now.

Comment

Seems you were right Andyn

Comment

Ok, no sooner do the BBC publish Wright's confession and some find flaws in the authenticity of his claims:
                            https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/com..._is_worthless/

Comment

all of human history since the dawn of time has been shaped by the lizard people.
                              Originally posted by cold fusion View Post
                              Seems you were right Andyn

All your spoon are belong to us

Comment

Working...
                              X