X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photobucket 3rd party hosting...

http://photobucket.com/p500/

So photobucket just turned off 3rd party hosting for free accounts

I have my own hosting so could transfer it all, it was just easier to use photobucket. Is there a piece of software like photobucket that you can run yourself?
    Last edited by M4T VW; 30-06-17, 14:38.

Originally posted by Aria
    On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

That's bad.

But I guess the one good thing about it is my pictures will stop appearing on Googles image search
    I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by wonderlust View Post
      That's bad.

But I guess the one good thing about it is my pictures will stop appearing on Googles image search
      That probably won't happen either. It's pretty easy to allow the Google Crawler through (detectable by user agent) and Photobucket would want to get people onto their site so that means making it's content indexable by search engines.

Comment

Tbh I think photobucket were too restrictive and never had a plan. Photobucket was the go-to place for image hosting, then came the restrictions, ads, premium services, time-outs, and no real purpose. I am not against places looking to make a profit, but they had no foresight, or vision.

Comment

Originally posted by I3R0K3N7FEET View Post
          Tbh I think photobucket were too restrictive and never had a plan. Photobucket was the go-to place for image hosting, then came the restrictions, ads, premium services, time-outs, and no real purpose. I am not against places looking to make a profit, but they had no foresight, or vision.
          Exactly this.. Photobucket used to be my goto host until they made it prohibitively difficult/annoying to use. Now I use Imgur.

Originally posted by coiler
          Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Yeah photobucket used to be great but I haven't used it for years, Imgur is really straightforward for a quick share, just like photobucket used to be. Oh the irony.

Comment

Can't believe they have seriously locked the 3rd party hosting being the highest cost plan, $39.99 per month to re-enable it is ridiculous!

No way I can update years of posts with new photos either as I don't even know where I posted half of them now.
              Last edited by Cypher; 01-07-17, 17:53.
              Intel i5-2500K @ 4GHz | 8GB DDR3 | ASUS GTX 970 | 500GB 850 EVO | Corsair H60 | Fractal Define S | Corsair SP2500 2.1 | ASUS 29" 2560x1080 IPS

Twitter / Instagram / YouTube

Comment

I use postimage.oi very easy to use no ********.
                GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

On my VW forum I did a an sql query to see how many photobucket images are used on the forum. 82000!

On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

Originally posted by M4T VW View Post
                    On my VW forum I did a an sql query to see how many photobucket images are used on the forum. 82000!
                    I only just clicked what your user name means

I do love VWs though. Recently just bought a CC and it's so nice to drive.

Comment

I've not used Photobucket in a long time, but can't see what's in my account as the site doesn't want to load properly for me just now.
                      Also, I was a big user of Imageshack back in the day, and while all my images are still listed in my account I can't actually see them.

These days I just stick to Imgur as I find it works well for simple image hosting and posting to forums.
                      "They're gonna find out
                      I don't know who they are or what they're gonna find out
                      But they're gonna find out
                      And it's gonna be over real quick"

Comment

Originally posted by I3R0K3N7FEET View Post
                        I don't think you can really blame that on a lack of vision. Monetising online services - particularly those where free equivalents are abundant - is very hard. A successful strategy can also change significantly from one site to another - even with sites that perform roughly the same function - depending on their community of users. So it often takes several failed attempts before you find a method that works.

But don't take my word for it, just look at all of the successful online services that don't turn a profit, and all the successful companies that flopped when trying to transition their user base into successful business.

Comment

It's stuff like this that makes me want to go back to hosting my own images again. There's surely some pretty simple PHP which can replicate uploading an image and getting a short url.

Comment

Originally posted by cold fusion View Post
                            I only just clicked what your user name means

I do love VWs though. Recently just bought a CC and it's so nice to drive.

It's also my car reg

Comment

Originally posted by M4T VW View Post

It's also my car reg
                              Just in case you want to look up any details of the guy that just sped past you....

Originally posted by coiler
                              Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Working...
                              X