The MTB THREAD .....*Spring has Sprung, dust production March*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The MTB THREAD .....*Spring has Sprung, dust production March*

Stick all things mountain biking in here, Strava laps, pics, new purchases, rides, post ride recovery food

3 weeks of riding, stamina improving with each outing...

New chain fitted today, the beautiful Wipperman Connex 900, best quick link in the land

Storm brewing on the trails

Post ride calorie replacement, the chedder deluxe is highly endorsed

Silicone Polish

This is a half mile segment i do each ride, shows how much you can improve in 3 weeks, after 6 months of no cardio

• Cypher
    replied
    To celebrate my birthday on Friday I decided to do something a bit different to my normal style of riding and spent a day with WyeMTB doing a guided off piste trails day around the Lower Wye Valley. Well worth the day out and so much more descending than I could ever do in a day without the Defender to meet me at the bottom, over 20 miles of bike time (most of which was downhill) including at least 2000ft of descents!

And of course the obligatory video compilation which inevitably doesn't do the steepness or severity of the trails any justice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p--lN69o0qY

Leave a comment:

• Chaz
    replied
    Yeah didnt see another cyclist in 2 hours which is rare up there

Leave a comment:

• coiler
    replied
    Chaz keeping Bluronce for a winter bike! Happy the threads aren't knackered as that would have been frame to the tip time!

@SAS Bronwyn a real neglected wife, reckon she'll fail MOT

Leave a comment:

• coiler
    replied
    Looks super moody/atmospheric! Bet was quiet too?

Leave a comment:

• {SAS}TB
    replied
    Originally posted by coiler View Post
    Nice HOSS + 650b chaz nice to see you getting out on Strava again

SAS this is a cracking pic, looks like the ultimate suspension setup run lol, near wildboarclough this part isn't it?

https://i.imgur.com/GpAecCy.jpg
    yes, it is

Nice terrain pic here too

Awesome serving pics - Bronny defo going in over the next few weeks .....

Cypher, some bad luck with the weather there mate !

Nice looking pedals too

Chaz it was like that here earlier too but sun is just starting to come out and warm up generally !

Kids are ad G-parents next week so mat get some cheeky evening pootles in

Leave a comment:

• Chaz
    replied
    Coiler that's A1 serving pr0n, top work. Gonna sell it now?

Had protein and carb infusion upload last night with the homemade chilli and brown rice:

Woke up at 6am this morning, rain pattering on window. Thought about going back to sleep but said nay get out on the wife with freshly greased nanos from yesterday aft. Arrived at usual quannies car park of choice, errrrr 404 vista not found

No phots of ride as phone was tucked away in bag in a waterproof kayaking dodad but was some pretty biblical rain, running down the hills like streams!

Leave a comment:

• coiler
    replied
    Nice HOSS + 650b chaz nice to see you getting out on Strava again

SAS this is a cracking pic, looks like the ultimate suspension setup run lol, near wildboarclough this part isn't it?

https://i.imgur.com/GpAecCy.jpg

Leave a comment:

• coiler
    replied
    Press tool. Smaller bearings had to go in one at a time which I soon learnt, after double pressing and never getting a flush seat.

Icing on cake flushing through with some nice fresh Marine Alumimium Oxide grease pre fitting on bike

Had to nip out for an 11/16 American Fine spanner which added more time. End of day cold beer was much welcome.

Would I service myself again? With the above knowledge yes! Was a quality day of fettling

Leave a comment:

• coiler
    replied
    #Thy great VPP strip down of 2018, that took much longer than expected!

Few weeks back on the last ride on Blur, heard a strange noise, smelt burning, and bike felt odd. Afterwards discovered 1cm of pure play in the lower pivot, and eventually got all the required tools from Germany (santa UK no stock for months) to investigate!

The explosion and resultant oil leak!

Large bearing removal tool

All bearings out both links but a small bearing didn't make it and exploded leaving the outer race stuck in link, this wasted another hour trying to get out lol

Resorted to using an old pivot axle and the expanding collet to remove the stuck out old exploded race.

Pre popping off the seals and the rusty ultimate lower bearings are rusted, very loose inner race, and turn with an awful grind

The pivot axle which took the bearing burn, replaced this with a spare from last LBS VPP service

Torquing the smaller collet bolt to spec broke the bolt, which added another hour of trying to then get the pivot axle out with half a bolt stuck in it, drill came out! Was able to use the old pivot and bolt from last year. Looks like its a rite of VPP service passage, accoring to forums, as SC have overspecced all the torques on all old literature.

Snapped bolt.

Leave a comment:

• Cypher
    replied
    New pedals arrived on Wednesday, fitted them only to discover that some of the pedal wobble was still there, which meant not only had I bent a pedal axle, but I'd also bent a crank! So 140 later a new set of SRAM GX cranks turned up and were fitted ready for today's ride. No picture of cranks as they were a like-for-like swap but the pedals are very nice!

So I've had this day at BikePark Wales booked for nearly 3 months as I was introducing a female friend to her first taste of bike park riding and it was the only weekend we were both free. We've been counting down the weeks approaching today, thinking how lucky we were to have accidentally booked it during the driest summer since 1976.

We left Oxfordshire with partly cloudy blue skies and arrived in South Wales with roughly the same, as per picture below before our first run down.

However the forecast was for heavy rain/thunder storms and with drizzle/rain on and off shortly after our 2nd run we felt our luck may have been fading as the day went on. By 2pm the rain was torrential (see rivers flowing down the uplift trail below) and we were literally just discussing whether we should abandon the day still with 2 1/2 hour of uplift still to run, when we saw a flash in the distance which was caught on the GoPro I'd lent her (also see picture below) followed by an almighty crash of thunder.

So we cut our losses and headed back to the cafe/shop building, got changed into dry clothes and were sat in the cafe wondering if we should have tried to wait it out, when we overheard that the uplift had been shut down for at least an hour anyway due to the potential hazard of lighting atop the hill, so we felt all the more justified in having stopped when we did!

Anyway, she had a great time on the few runs we managed before calling it off and hopefully I'll be taking her back for round 2 on a sunnier day in a month or two as she's still super keen despite the appalling conditions!

Last edited by Cypher; 29-07-18, 13:03.

Leave a comment:

• {SAS}TB
    replied
    Sunny sunny when got back

and popped the front pads (well pad) out and the retention spring had gone and I had lost a pad - never had that before!

Luckilly i have a part worn spare but think Bronny is well overdue a service ........

Right, will catch up on the thread

Leave a comment:

• {SAS}TB
    replied
    Wow, so much to catch up on in here

Im ashamed to say I have been out most Sunday mornings in a "0600 Sunday Club" with 2 mates

On Felicity so havent been posting in the MTB thread, however 4+ hours and deceny climbs over 40,50,60,70 miles has done my fitness and stamina the world of good

I am however now in a position to say I was out, today, on Bronwyn !!!!

Started off dank and mizzly

Nice views at the meet spot

Nice pootle around Macc Forest, up to the Cat and Fiddle and almost did 3 Shires Head too, but didn't

Cracking ride out. hot, sunny, windy - great terrain and a little "mechanical" about 1/2 way in when my front rotar was griding like mad, looked like a shot breakpad (see end) other than that awesome morning with 4 mate (should have been 6!)

Last edited by {SAS}TB; 28-07-18, 17:00.

Leave a comment:

• Chaz
    replied
    650b hoss v2 achieved but forum avatar thing seems borked and wont let me change even with a resized image

Leave a comment:

• Chaz
    replied
    Originally posted by coiler View Post
    MOJO back yet Chaz? Cracking pic, look at that cliff! Challenge this season is to get a better admnin hoss and bike pic in the quannys!
    Think it may be coming back slowly, certainly very much enjoying it! Seeing new parts of quannys is really nice

Leave a comment:

Working...
X