No announcement yet.

The MTB THREAD .....*Spring has Sprung, dust production March*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking I need a torque wrench in my kit.
    I don't want to spend the earth, just get something that will allow me to check a few things, and for when I change this chain ring.
    I notice some are a set torque - 4,5 or 6 Nm, but I think adjustable or with a visual indicator would be better as I'm sure all my torques are supposed to be different.

Anyone got a good cheap one they can recommend?
    Originally posted by coiler
    the trails is where life flows best
    Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cypher View Post

I had considered this, but then I run a Minion DHF on the front and a DHR on the rear, so which one do I carry? Or do I take both? Too many options!

I was actually quite excited to finally get a chance to use the DynaPlug! But as I so rarely get punctures I think I need to learn to just let the tyre sit for a bit longer after it's 'sealed' as the gunk takes a little while to fully solidify.

If you only want to carry x1, I'd just have the front as a spare, which is the most important for grip, worst case you'll have a DHF temp on the back, best case you've got your preferred tyre on the front, but if it saves the day and gets you going again. Also carry an inner tube in the boot, no point setting up a full tubeless while already at BPW, just whack on new tyre, remove tubeless valve, whack in tube, pump and get back on trails.

Do you carry a pump/tools/camelback on bike or not worth it as car so easy to get back to?
      Originally posted by Aaron
      I want those sweet cherries

Comment

• Originally posted by cruciate View Post
        Thinking I need a torque wrench in my kit.
        I don't want to spend the earth, just get something that will allow me to check a few things, and for when I change this chain ring.
        I notice some are a set torque - 4,5 or 6 Nm, but I think adjustable or with a visual indicator would be better as I'm sure all my torques are supposed to be different.

Anyone got a good cheap one they can recommend?
        Used the Laser for years, superb wrench and cheap too. Got every hex allen size for full bike torque action now, including the torx bits.

Paid £45 for mine, but on clearance at £20! might buy a spare lol real easy to loosen nut at bottom and set NM, then torque away.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-pre...e-wrench/29953

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaron View Post

Should have done 12 normal miles then
          omg

Comment

• Originally posted by coiler View Post

Used the Laser for years, superb wrench and cheap too. Got every hex allen size for full bike torque action now, including the torx bits.

Paid £45 for mine, but on clearance at £20! might buy a spare lol real easy to loosen nut at bottom and set NM, then torque away.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-pre...e-wrench/29953
            Can't find in store anywhere. Out of stock in all stores local to here, and checked my parents (swindon) too.
            Shame, but not surprising given the price.

Went out on the road bike today. First time in ages, I'm still really scared of the clipless pedals after a few early slow motion comedy falls and one fairly horrific high speed fall which had nothing to do with the clipless pedals but was the final straw.
            Nevertheless, I loved it today. Much more efficient, but wayyy harder on the bum.
            Got some PBs on Strava.

Also Cypher , got a PC-X1 11Speed chain today.
            Thanks for the recommendation.
            Might save it until I get the 32t chain wheel, rather than be adding in extra links later.
            Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

• Toolstation have them, at RRP price like, but still incredibly cheap when you look at what some adjustable ones go for,

https://www.toolstation.com/search?s...+torque+wrench

Going to be relying on it to do the old VPP strip apart soon so worth its weight in gold.

Comment

• Nice write up

coiler, if you remember I also nearly took my finger off with the little saw
                flickr | Pootling Pics | Instagram

Comment

• Little write up of my own .....

Macc Forest / Cat and Fiddle on Saturday, OMG ....

08.00 Start and it was, chilly, mizzly and misty

Off the res road and first gate / path into the forest, closed due to fallen trees. A quick dynamic risk assessment took approx 3 seconds and we agreed, "ah **** it" and carried on

Few trees to navigate

Pootled on and wound our way up through, if I'm being honest, some horrendous and quite dangerous conditions (virtually zero viability, on the road, with no lights ;/) but eventually got to the planned stop off point of Peak View cafe, it was shut .....

We were too early and due to weather conditions agreed to plough on

Low and behold there was a friendly snack van parked opposite the cat and fiddle

Sweet black tea and sausage and brown sauce bap later we continued .....

Decided to give 3 Shires Head a miss and loop back through Macc Forest to some spooky scenery

​​​​​​

Comment

• ​​​​​​​

last stretch and another closed path, yet again ignored, but some heavy logging / clearance works made it a slog, but more awesome scenery

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

not the longest or furthest ride but exhilarating for the "Will we die?" Road moments and squeaky bum off road moments, a good laugh and genuinely stunning atmosphere due to the fog

​​​​​​​

Back, kit washed and bright sunshine resulted in a BBQ and lots of post-ride refreshments

​​​​​​​

Comment

• flickr | Pootling Pics | Instagram

Comment

• Well good news, although I can't remember what my bike looks like I finally passed driving test last week so once funds allow getting a car on the road quantocks exploration will occur and hopefully I'll find the bug again
                        Originally posted by jointhedotz
                        I admit it, it's so damn good! following Alan on the downs, just getting a feel

Comment

• You've missed out on one of the dustiest springs known to mankind Chaz, I think you need a new bike! Relight the fire.

I'm trying to not buy a new bike at the moment. Brand begins with S, thats your only clue, oh and its super super light.

Comment

• Congrats Chaz and go go go coiler

Comment

• Originally posted by coiler View Post
                              You've missed out on one of the dustiest springs known to mankind Chaz, I think you need a new bike! Relight the fire.

I'm trying to not buy a new bike at the moment. Brand begins with S, thats your only clue, oh and its super super light.
                              Is it a Saracen?

Or a Sinclair C5?
                              I know how much you love electric power

Comment

Working...
                              X