No announcement yet.

The MTB THREAD .....*Spring has Sprung, dust production March*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice to see this thread still going...it's been a while...
    Originally posted by omega
    He's trying to lick the inside of his brain though, doesn't that count for something??

|EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper SLI|Intel Core i7 5820K |Gigabyte X99-UD4P|8GB 2133Mhz Hyper X Fury DDR4|2x 120GB Samsung 850 Evo Raid0|3.0TB WD Green|Corsair 650W|LG 29UB65-P|
    All bundled in a Enthoo Primo under Water.

Comment

• Out on Felicity this morning

Knackered
      flickr | Pootling Pics | Instagram

Comment

• Originally posted by Cypher View Post
        Seeing all these Garmin mounts is reminding of my recent frustration with my latest purchase. I sold my Edge 520 for the new smaller and slightly less feature packed Edge 130 for the extended battery life and reduced size. Only then to discover that Trailforks (which is a fantastic trail finding app if you haven't seen it before by the way) has recently been made compatible with, you guessed it...every Garmin model from the Edge 520 up!

Overall both BikeRader and MBR are pretty sleepy on the MTB front, I find Singletrack is much more active but the lack of subforms just does my head in as it makes it impossible to find anything! Don't think I've ever used MTBR though?
        Pretty sure our 810's aren't compatible. I went looking last week.
        Like you say, the 520 is, and the 820 and 1020.
        810's considered EOL therefore not supported.
        Originally posted by coiler
        the trails is where life flows best
        Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

• Right clever folks of the Aria MTB forum.

I'm wanting to do some changes to my drive train.
          I think I've ballsed it up a little.

My previous chain on Whytney was an SRAM PG1110, which is heavy, and with no rust resistance.
          I bought a PG1130 chain as its a bit lighter and has a chrome plated outer, and it shifts beautifully.
          However, it squeaks a little under heavy climbing.

I had a look at my cassette and annoyingly there is already some definite shark fin teeth and wear. Hmmm.
          Looking around, apparently the PG1110 chain is "x-sync" rated for the chainring, but the 1130 isn't.
          The power of google suggests the size is identical, and found several posts saying it works fine. (after all, none of the KMC etc chains have a different rating for single chain rings)

It would appear that the PG chains are designed for road bikes, and the X1 or XX1 are for mountain bikes.
          The PG1110 is cheap, heavy, and goes rusty, even with care.

So, I'm looking at a possible cassette change, chain change, and possible chainring change.

Cassette is a PG1150 currently. Probably wont change this. Would cost £85, but next up for lightness is £170 and I'm not sure it's worth the difference to me. No more robust, just lighter.
          Chain SRAM X1

Now, comes the difficult bit, where I've got totally confused.
          I think I want to chain my 30T chainring to 32T.

It's currently a GX crank X-sync 30T boost 11 speed

Sooooo, saying I stick with SRAM, it seems not all chainrings are created equally......

In the 32T direct mount, I've got the choice of boost, standard, 6mm offset, 3mm offset and no offset.

Anyone here good at looking at specs and coming up with exactly what's needed?

PS. I'm "pretty" sure there is enough clearance for a 32t chainring - the T130RS (one up from mine) had a 32T as standard, and the only other difference was pikes upfront.

Specs sheet - https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...T130S+2017.pdf
          Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

• Originally posted by jointhedotz View Post
            Just realised I haven't given a proper rundown of the recent changes to my lowly boardman, there've been a few....

So...frame obviously,
            cheap (£122) second hand xfusion sweep 140mm forks, these will be upped to 150mm when i find the time. Going from 32 to 34mm stanctions is more noticable than I'd have expected, makes a massive difference.
            Burgtec 35mm Enduro stem.....expensive but beautiful in its simplicity
            Fabric cageless bottle....love it
            Brand-X 150mm dropper, the old transx finally died after 2 years service
            And hope brakes to follow, when ubyk eventually post the damn things....guess I'll be brakeless in the dales on sunday :/

PS forgot to comment, lovely lovely lovely, and to think you had a close encounter with a Bossnut!
            Originally posted by Aaron
            I want those sweet cherries

Comment

• Decent ride SAS, distance + climb A+++++ weather at the moment is tropical, May as a whole and going forward looks more of the same!

Comment

• Originally posted by cruciate View Post

Pretty sure our 810's aren't compatible. I went looking last week.
                Like you say, the 520 is, and the 820 and 1020.
                810's considered EOL therefore not supported.
                looks like the newer fancier graphical 20 series garmins. Whats the benefit of this addon software, what does it do?

Comment

• Originally posted by cruciate View Post
                  Right clever folks of the Aria MTB forum.

I'm wanting to do some changes to my drive train.
                  I think I've ballsed it up a little.

My previous chain on Whytney was an SRAM PG1110, which is heavy, and with no rust resistance.
                  I bought a PG1130 chain as its a bit lighter and has a chrome plated outer, and it shifts beautifully.
                  However, it squeaks a little under heavy climbing.

I had a look at my cassette and annoyingly there is already some definite shark fin teeth and wear. Hmmm.
                  Looking around, apparently the PG1110 chain is "x-sync" rated for the chainring, but the 1130 isn't.
                  The power of google suggests the size is identical, and found several posts saying it works fine. (after all, none of the KMC etc chains have a different rating for single chain rings)

It would appear that the PG chains are designed for road bikes, and the X1 or XX1 are for mountain bikes.
                  The PG1110 is cheap, heavy, and goes rusty, even with care.

So, I'm looking at a possible cassette change, chain change, and possible chainring change.

Cassette is a PG1150 currently. Probably wont change this. Would cost £85, but next up for lightness is £170 and I'm not sure it's worth the difference to me. No more robust, just lighter.
                  Chain SRAM X1

Now, comes the difficult bit, where I've got totally confused.
                  I think I want to chain my 30T chainring to 32T.

It's currently a GX crank X-sync 30T boost 11 speed

Sooooo, saying I stick with SRAM, it seems not all chainrings are created equally......

In the 32T direct mount, I've got the choice of boost, standard, 6mm offset, 3mm offset and no offset.

Anyone here good at looking at specs and coming up with exactly what's needed?

PS. I'm "pretty" sure there is enough clearance for a 32t chainring - the T130RS (one up from mine) had a 32T as standard, and the only other difference was pikes upfront.

Specs sheet - https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...T130S+2017.pdf

Sorry Cru absolutely no idea when it comes to x1 setups, JTD probably the man. You know how much I love my triple

In terms of chains, as long as you use a chain checker every month of so, and once it hits the 0.75% wear, new chain, you shouldn't get any sharks teeth.

I've got 3 chains on rotation, x2 were white spirited at weekend, hung to dry and ready for fitting. Old chain is due to come off now and get binned, its literally just reached the 0.75

PS good call on going up to 32 or 34T, as I know it would be a huge help on your favourite hill in the peaks

Comment

• Originally posted by coiler View Post

Sorry Cru absolutely no idea when it comes to x1 setups, JTD probably the man. You know how much I love my triple

In terms of chains, as long as you use a chain checker every month of so, and once it hits the 0.75% wear, new chain, you shouldn't get any sharks teeth.

I've got 3 chains on rotation, x2 were white spirited at weekend, hung to dry and ready for fitting. Old chain is due to come off now and get binned, its literally just reached the 0.75

PS good call on going up to 32 or 34T, as I know it would be a huge help on your favourite hill in the peaks
                    On the downhill maybe.
                    it would make the uphill bits a bit less easy chair.

Trail forks is a database of mountain bike rides, when you approach one (possibly by accident) it tells you about it and asks if you want to follow it by sat nav.

Kinda like the route guidance now, but instead of programming the ride, it's already in the database.

In other words, no reason at all why it couldn't work on the 810. They just won't allow 3rd party software on the 810.

Wouldn't be surprised if someone finds a way to jailbreak the 810 and allow it to be installed

Comment

• " 30T chainring to 32T." thats the big gear though so more granny, downhill you'll want smaller small ring! and uphills would be more easy chair?

Trailforks does sound like jailbreak will happen if it gets popular enough.

Comment

• On a chain ring, my maths says more is faster.

One turn of the crank = 32 links of chain moved Vs 30.
                        I.e. every turn of the crank moves the back wheel am extra 6 percent more.

On the cassette, bigger = easier
                        On the chain ring, bigger= faster

Road bikes have huge chain rings

Comment

• ah sorry dude I thought you were talking going a bigger cassette to help hill climing gear! AND getting new chainring

tbf I just seen x1 speed and my eyes glazed over loololo runs off

edit : so you will find it harder on hills then, is that good?

edit2 : actually you were always saying you got no stomp so go big ring up front A++++++++++++

Comment

• That's it.
                            Stomp needed.

I figure the reason I failed hard on some of your hills is due to me, not the bike.
                            I can train stronger, I couldn't pedal any faster

Comment

• You getting back on the riding bandwagon this summer?

Comment

• Originally posted by coiler View Post

You getting back on the riding bandwagon this summer?
                                Kinda.
                                I'm doing a cycle to work once or twice a week, plus a cycle to the golf course (I know, I'm old) a few times a month.
                                I feel pretty unfit, and this weak numb right leg is not ideal, so I'm scared of the off road trails because I know they will show up my weaknesses and it will sadden me.

Hopefully, a month or two of this and I'll be ready again.

Comment

Working...
                                X