No announcement yet.

The MTB THREAD .....*Spring has Sprung, dust production March*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been really busy with the new house (will post this weekends diversion in the log burner thread in a bit ....)

Despite most of Saturday knocking the house about and then partaking in a tad too much beer and red wine I did a 6.30 start / 30 miler (on felicity ) vivoactive HR hadn't synched for a while so thought it was 9.30pm from the previous weekend !

I don't mind the roadie and just seems to be quicker and easier to jump on and ride off with little to no planning which is probably another thing keeping Bronwyn in the garage

Bought a new jet washer with car wash attachment so at worst she should be nice and clean for the Cheshire ring ride
    flickr | Pootling Pics | Instagram

Comment

• Originally posted by jointhedotz View Post
      You're probably right.

Today I've flipped the stem on the cx to put the bars higher, fettled the brakes, I was keen to ride it tbh. I had a nap instead though.

No rides for Coiler? Weather pretty poor up here tbh so not motivated, even when it's sunny the wind...

Past 300 miles in June, on track to beat last year but not really happy to be honest

Managed to get out last night sir

#JuneMonsoon has been relentless, after another hot dusty Spring, its been torrential when wanting to get out, road outside resembling a small river So after what seemed like the heaviest downpour all weekend, spraying sideways under the Pergola, went for a run out @5pm. Everywhere resembled mid winter conditions so made up a route as we went and avoided the worst of the slop.

See any difference to the Trance in above pic? Shes now 650b, although with being a XS frame size, I reckon she looks 29er in the flesh

Mates just upgraded his Trance to 650B, Stans Arch EX, with Hope Pro 2 (40t ratchet variant, even louder than mine angry wasp even at low speeds) Fork is already 650 and frame is too, so all dropped straight in, but was running his old 26" Stans Crest thus far.

Wheels weighed in less than 2kg, with heavy Maxxis High Roller IIs (850g ish per tyre!) So bike is now 2lbs heavier than 26" was, but with some lightweight tyres reckon that would take increase to 1lbs.

Initial thougths on 650b?

Flew up first hill, went super quick on rutty flat, then a steep hill came up and was behind the Blur, (which never happens i'm always trying to catch the Trance!) Next hill kept up and then overtook half way. Real test was a half mile climb mid ride, and the Trance was no where to be seen at the end, very behind. Same everywhere, the 650b just couldn't climb like the 26".

We think this is down to 2lbs increase in bike weight/rotational weight, or could it be that I started spinning @ gym which has definitely give me more power on the bike?

He preferred the rolling of the 650b on rutty stuff, but with climbing speed properly killed, new lightweight tyres are needed to re-asses the upgrade.

The Blur is apparently 650b ready with lots of online examples, so gave it a bash and couldn't get the axle in! These were 142x12 , and i'm on 135x12 so the disc was hitting but still I can't see how it would have been possible.

Interesting clearance!

Just updated veloviewer, 759 miles to date 2017, vs 558 miles to date 2016. I've fell in love with distance this year and got some big rides in, along with evening pacer rides trying to hold the wheel of faster riders, in Jan really didn't expect to be able to beat 2016

Elevation i'm down this year by 9000 feet @ 58,000.

PS. Stans Arch 650b is showroom condition with high roller IIs were just over 100 per wheel, so great to resell if 26" returns!
      Originally posted by Aaron
      I want those sweet cherries

Comment

• Nice !

You might get an extra 10-15 feet of elevation over the 100mile ring mate lol
        flickr | Pootling Pics | Instagram

Comment

• I reckon it'll be the tyres holding back the 650b bike, and maybe a little of the spinning. With same tyres going from 26" to 650b I definitely noticed improvements in climbing speed.

Looks a nice ride.

And yeah, this summer has been pish :/
          Originally posted by {SAS}TB
          Also gives me the chance to probe around the wife's rear end

Comment

• Goodies waiting for me at home
            Originally posted by jointhedotz
            I admit it, it's so damn good! following Alan on the downs, just getting a feel

Comment

• Originally posted by {SAS}TB

Comment

• Here's a picture in 650B mode. Looks more GRR with the bigger wheels feels more URGHH on the legs definitely sluggish on the steeper uphills. I've never had such heavy wheels, I need upgraded legs.

Lighter tyres definately going to be ordered soon...

Ive had Nobby Nics 2.1 for last 7 years, those or maybe the Bontrager XR2 Team....

Media PC I5 2500k 8GB Kingston @1600Mhz
                Radeon 6790 1GB, 8TB Samsung HDD, Pioneer Blu Ray Burner
                NZXT Duet Media Optoma HD33 3D Projector 2.5 Metre Screen
                Marantz 7010, Kef Surround 7.2.4 Atmos SI dual 15" Sub

Comment

• Yeah i bet it's tyre weight, maxxis tyres are all heavy vs schwalbes or bontrager.

Also bigger wheels will change gear ratio, so if using the same gear as 26 it will feel slightly harder

Comment

• Day off booked tomorrow, 23c sun shining specced up, new wife adornments to test....

Comment

• So new trinket for wife was a set of superstar wheels, electro hubs and Alpine 30mm i.d rims as I fancied something nice and burly. They were half price at 200 so couldn't say no

I like them, look pretty swank and much beefier but pretty much same weight as my crossrides. Did find the rims are so big that I couldn't get the tyres up with the track pump so had to create ghetto air shot o doom v2

Worked a treat, and very glad i got myself a presta valve removal tool, one of those how did I live without it purchases.

First ride was a blackdown expedition 28miler, enjoyed it a lot was absolutely baking.

Epic dust show upon return. Pleased with the new wheels, hub engagement is great and the extra rim with deffo gives the tyre more volume which makes a nice difference on small bumps.
                      Last edited by Chaz; 14-06-17, 22:04.

Comment

• New bike was marked as being at the Greenford terminal in the UK at 11am this morning, expecting delivery tomorrow!
                        Intel i5-2500K @ 4GHz | 8GB DDR3 | ASUS GTX 970 | 500GB 850 EVO | Corsair H60 | Fractal Define S | Corsair SP2500 2.1 | ASUS 29" 2560x1080 IPS

Twitter / Instagram / YouTube

Comment

• @chaz

The electros are great, I love my electro/xx27 wheelset. See how low you can go on pressure....it's surprising! My butcher on the front rumbles along lol

Looks a great ride

@cypher.....awaiting pics

Comment

• In other news, been out tonight, just a short one though due to time constraints.

I'm having issues, seem to have developed a mental block on roots, pure fear.....I've been riding these trails all winter in far more treacherous conditions....stupid brain.

So slow tonight, not happy. But also not that far off my fast times either. Definitely getting better, just need to get passed this mental hump.

TB will confirm hammers root status lol

Comment

• Originally posted by jointhedotz View Post
                              In other news, been out tonight, just a short one though due to time constraints.

I'm having issues, seem to have developed a mental block on roots, pure fear.....I've been riding these trails all winter in far more treacherous conditions....stupid brain.

So slow tonight, not happy. But also not that far off my fast times either. Definitely getting better, just need to get passed this mental hump.

TB will confirm hammers root status lol

DId you have a recent off, I recall a Strava name like "only one off" etc?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cypher View Post
                                New bike was marked as being at the Greenford terminal in the UK at 11am this morning, expecting delivery tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
                                X