No announcement yet.

The MTB THREAD .....*Spring has Sprung, dust production March*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's quite simple really, yes....I can do those rides on the Boardman, but there are far better tools for the job. A lighter HT with faster tyres/bigger wheels WILL be more efficient and cover the distance quicker. Being able to have it set up with everything needed for a ride on the frame (in bags etc, not just taped on) would mean I'd just have to chuck on some riding kit and fill a bottle. Admittedly it's only a little more faff with the current bike but.......it's enough to add 10-15 mins prep and that's an idea killer lol.

Horses for courses

And tbf, the Boardman isn't a limiting factor in my 'proper' riding yet so a cheap 29er on c2w wouldn't be noticable whereas *****ing the full 1k on a frame, as well as being technically against the rules, would be noticed.

Anyway, I have a wee while to decide.
    Last edited by jointhedotz; 21-02-17, 15:31.
    Originally posted by {SAS}TB
    Also gives me the chance to probe around the wife's rear end

Comment

• Originally posted by danroyle View Post
      got out on mine a couple of times over last few days. Replaced the jockey wheels but having an acceleration getting massive slippage from chain and cogs it feels like the the cassette is not engaging with the freehub and is slipping then biting, This combined with the damage to the bearing cups leads me to the conclusion i need a new wheel or wheelset, Suspension is much better now i have some air in it, but til i sort out the gearing she is grounded
      Hoping to find a half decent slightly lighter set for about 100 love the sun single track sl1 but they are heavy

We need some proper pics of the wife, more angles, component detail, macro shots etc.
      Originally posted by Aaron
      I want those sweet cherries

Comment

• Originally posted by jointhedotz View Post
        It's quite simple really, yes....I can do those rides on the Boardman, but there are far better tools for the job. A lighter HT with faster tyres/bigger wheels WILL be more efficient and cover the distance quicker. Being able to have it set up with everything needed for a ride on the frame (in bags etc, not just taped on) would mean I'd just have to chuck on some riding kit and fill a bottle. Admittedly it's only a little more faff with the current bike but.......it's enough to add 10-15 mins prep and that's an idea killer lol.

Horses for courses

And tbf, the Boardman isn't a limiting factor in my 'proper' riding yet so a cheap 29er on c2w wouldn't be noticable whereas *****ing the full 1k on a frame, as well as being technically against the rules, would be noticed.

Anyway, I have a wee while to decide.

Still not convinced, my backpack is always ready for a ride, just have to fill the camelback up, which takes as long as a water bottle. Pre ride prep clothing is always there (why does the buff always go missing) bike prep = tyre pump, chain lube, then roll out of door. Not sure how having bike rack things over front and back wheel would be of any use apart from bringing some fresh baked bread back from supermarket, and a 4 pack of wifebeater. After a ride all tools and spares stay in the backpack.

35 mile ride prep isn't really any different from 16 mile prep, just another snack bar possibly. Hardtails are just uncomfy. I remember doing a retro ride with mate, he took raleigh titanium, i took Scwhinn Moab (now in the tip) it was a very easy route, but so so damn uncomfy I vowed never to ride a HT again. Its the same uncomfort if I put the blur in full rear shock lockout "climb" mode officially. Pure assault of the jewels.

Most efficient thing you could do is put a big ring on the Boardman, so you can get some proper speed up

Good stomping distance gear > skinny tyres.

Comment

• Originally posted by coiler View Post
          We need some proper pics of the wife, more angles, component detail, macro shots etc.
          Ill get some up over the weekend, Still finetuning Everything.
          My RIG: MSI GE62 2QD Apache I7 4720HQ, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SDD + 1TB HDD, GTX 960M 2GB, Windows 10, 15.6" IPS screen.

Comment

• The whyte T130 is a fine steed
            Originally posted by coiler
            the trails is where life flows best
            Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

• Originally posted by cruciate View Post
              The whyte T130 is a fine steed
              They are indeed, but I don't want a full bike and have a 1k limit lol

Comment

They are indeed, but I don't want a full bike and have a 1k limit lol
                Frame

29 ht, might gain you 1mph increase on average if you're lucky, but no real grin factor. Get an upgraded frame.

Comment

• Wheels ordered. Found a set of superstar sentinels with tesla Evo hubs for 100 new from superstar theyre last years model and have some minor cosmetic damage but good price, had some superstar before they were good. People say the skf bearings not the best so may upgrade them immediately. Pics when they arrive
                  My RIG: MSI GE62 2QD Apache I7 4720HQ, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SDD + 1TB HDD, GTX 960M 2GB, Windows 10, 15.6" IPS screen.

Comment

• I had sentinals on the 456, not a bad rim, they held up to everything hamsterley threw at them.

Oh, and I have Electro hubs on current wheels which are basically tesla's, they're great

Comment

• Originally posted by coiler View Post
                      Frame

29 ht, might gain you 1mph increase on average if you're lucky, but no real grin factor. Get an upgraded frame.
                      I reckon nearer 2 or 3

Comment

I reckon nearer 2 or 3
                        My belief is that a 29HT will only gain you that much on lumpy ground where the larger wheels roll over the bumps better. But if it's that bumpy you'd rather be on your FS.
                        Plus we are talking about the "lighter" rides where lumpy probably isn't the problem anyway.

One bike to rule them all, or 2 bikes that aren't quite as you'd like?
                        the trails is where life flows best
                        Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

• There's a reason the worlds xc racers are all on 29ers lol, and road bikes went from 650b to 700c, and hybrids are 700c

Going from 26 to 27.5 was noticeable, I'd imagine the same leap again going to 29. Add in lighter tyres with less rolling resistance.....

Comment

I had sentinals on the 456, not a bad rim, they held up to everything hamsterley threw at them.

Oh, and I have Electro hubs on current wheels which are basically tesla's, they're great
                            awesome i loved my old superstar am wheels they were really nice. hoping the sentinels will shave a few grams off the bike, Shes gotta go on a diet.

Comment

• Think my sentinal/switch evo wheelset was about 1800g, teslas are a little heavier i believe but you should still be comfortably sub 2kg

Comment

Think my sentinal/switch evo wheelset was about 1800g, teslas are a little heavier i believe but you should still be comfortably sub 2kg
                                I CAN live with that ive dropped a few grams switching the long kona stem for a short easton havoc, am looking at replacing the deore groupset with something a bit nicer, But the budget is running low i planned on spending no more than about 250 to get it to where i want it by the summer and spent 150 on wheels stem bearings new chain and jockey
                                wheels

i found a full Shimano slx groupset two shifters 10 speed cassette 10 spd long cage rear mech and xt chain for 110 delivered all brand new very tempted

Comment

Working...
                                X