The MTB THREAD .....*Spring has Sprung, dust production March*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF!!!!!

So did that happen on last ride, or has it been present since original explosion -gate?

Kind of satistifying I find destroying components or wearing them out, probably the fact a new purchase needed and fittings
    Originally posted by Aaron
    I want those sweet cherries

Comment

• The chain won't do more than 1/2 a turn without coming off on largest cog, slips like a mother on the three largest - I'm assuming it has been whats causing my issues and the last incident has bent her too far after causing the snap.

Limping back after the last jaunt i was mid cassette all way so didn't notice it and blokie who rescued me fitted the chain so its all assumption but that's what I'm going with

On another plus side, new multitool is lovely and the chain breaker 10000% better than my last one

for the - best feeling tool I've had in my hand in a long time

So any recommendations on a new cassette ?
      flickr | Pootling Pics | Instagram

Comment

• XT cassettes are supposed to be bomb proof, and I love Sram cassettes, 40 should get you one which will last for years with regular chain changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by {SAS}TB View Post
          The chain won't do more than 1/2 a turn without coming off on largest cog, slips like a mother on the three largest - I'm assuming it has been whats causing my issues and the last incident has bent her too far after causing the snap.

Limping back after the last jaunt i was mid cassette all way so didn't notice it and blokie who rescued me fitted the chain so its all assumption but that's what I'm going with

On another plus side, new multitool is lovely and the chain breaker 10000% better than my last one

for the - best feeling tool I've had in my hand in a long time

So any recommendations on a new cassette ?

Yeah reckon on last ride you mentioned you were about to climb a steep little bit, so you'd have shifted to granny, chain would have jammed/slipped off cassette and broke, further bending the cassette. Or bending chain with so much lateral force, due to cog twist, it popped the plates apart, which I think the pic of break shown too.

Is the hangar ok still and mech?

Comment

• I'd go with a SRAM, 11-36, 10 speed, they have better spiders than shimano, and quieter too.

Comment

• Originally posted by coiler View Post
              Yeah reckon on last ride you mentioned you were about to climb a steep little bit, so you'd have shifted to granny, chain would have jammed/slipped off cassette and broke, further bending the cassette. Or bending chain with so much lateral force, due to cog twist, it popped the plates apart, which I think the pic of break shown too.

Is the hangar ok still and mech?
              I think your'e right and, yes, they look ok (fingers crossed)

Originally posted by coiler View Post
              I'd go with a SRAM, 11-36, 10 speed, they have better spiders than shimano, and quieter too.
              cheers ill take a look - assume i need some kind of removal tool too?

Comment

• So im thinking

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-dyna...peed-cassette/

or, more likely

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-pg1070-...-cassette-mtb/

and

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-fr...kring-remover/

Basket of win ?

Comment

• Aahhhn and a chain whip ......

so

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-pg1070-...-cassette-mtb/

and

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-shi...n-whip-bundle/

???

Comment

• Looks decent to me, although icetoolz stuff off ebay/amazon would be cheaper than park and is still decent enough quality
                    Originally posted by {SAS}TB
                    Also gives me the chance to probe around the wife's rear end

Comment

• Cheers, swapped for the "lifeline" chain and tool combo kit

Comment

• 1070 11-36 well worth the money, just make sure its the MTB version, I think the XT above may be road version.

Comment

• Yep, going for :

and

Comment

• Cracking cassette! Best sweet spot of the 1030 1050 + 1080, for weight, strength, spider setup, and mountain goat climber ability too!

Comment

• Well the missus is loving her riding to work action, she gets there in 5 mins instead of 15, and gets to the farm in 10 mins, instead of 30

Told her to leave her uber lock on the bike rack instead of carting home each day, and she's got the original hongkong 20 uber magicshine light for the dark (of second sun fame)

Perfect week for her to get used to it too, uber dry, and sun sun sun

Amazing the Mavic /STXs wheels are rolling so well, 16 years on original bearings, never serviced. Those wheels were in the magic era of my first proper MTB, took me all over Edale/Peak district on some crazy gnarley descents when I look back on it, getting caught out in some proper rotten weather too. Will be a good test see how long they last her!

Comment

• Cheers mate (no thanks left)

Ordered - just hope it comes soon

Glad you got your wife's wife sorted (or is that your wife sorted with your ex-wife ? ) - any more bother with my bike and ill be popping round for a visit

In other news, working from home - broken wife and scorchio sunshine laughing at me out side

Comment

Working...
                                X