Good job really as I had to commandeer another trailside workbench

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU !!!!!
    flickr | Pootling Pics | Instagram

Comment

• Y U NO TUBELESS
      Originally posted by Aaron
      I want those sweet cherries

Comment

• It got worse, a lot worse ...................

Left the house at 10.30 - just walked in

Report in a bit

Comment

• Left the house at 6.55
          Just got back in......from work

It appears that it's been a lovely day. I will be avoiding all ride write ups due to jealousy and spite.
          Except TBs. I'll read that because it doesn't sound like a jellymaker

Oh and God? For making today so lovely while I'm in work... I've 2 letters for you..
          FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
          Originally posted by coiler
          the trails is where life flows best
          Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

• Bugger Cruciate, what a day to be in work

My ride was both ends of the enjoyment spectrum - lovely warm T-shirt ride and swearing trailside fettling x2 having to be "rescued" by two friendly passing MTBers ..........

4.5 hours "out" with just over 2 in the saddle moving gives you a feel for the low end of the enjoyment scale

The route itself was a great mostly gloop avoiding run with some tweaks to the "usual" run with some nice single side track action off the main path

Really glad of this PB as its the steepest / highest climb on the route and getting easier each time

However the gravel resulted in mid-ride fettle #1 - puncture

Found a friendly rock to use as a work bench

"Nice" views of the salt works

Inner tube removed and replaced no problem and off we went with rest of the ride

Taking in the sun, lovely and warm - not too many people out, even less as I was taking the single track side trails, absolute bliss ........

One minor incident with a thorny bush () but looked a lot worse than it was / is

So, at the very far end of the ride stopped for refreshments (this is the last trailside fettle table)

Off I trot again and see a nice steep trail heading up above the main track and decide to give it a try

The reason my bike is against the fence is almost at the top and crunch, snap twang - FFS another snapped chain - pull it off from the bike and FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU 1/2 of the Wipperman is missing so spend almost 20 minutes on my hands and knees looking for the other half in the leaves / mud - nothing..........

Mid-ride fettle #2 - snapped chain

So, whip the chain breaker and spare links from when I fitted the Wipperman out and manage to get the link in and flip the bike only to find a length of chain - complete with the othre half of the Wipperman id been looking for (I/m now resembling Stressed Eric . FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

And breathe ..........

So, I now fit the Wipperman, but still have another joint to make, with no spare link and look at the end link I had to work with

My workbench wasn't the best either

So, bit the bullet, plopped the two bits of chain in a sandwich bag and did the walk of shame, pushing my bike to find a better fettle spot

After a mile of so and lots of sideways glances / sniggers from dog walkers, other cyclists, people in general I find a bench and claim it in the name of fettle. I then proceed to spend about another 1/2 an hour completely unable to repair the link. I even tried to use the short length, trying missing the rear mech out (I know I know) and other idea, but no, I admitted defeat.

So packed the chain away and sat thinking, hmmmm th ebest part of a 10 mile walk, pushing the bike or calling the Mrs and asking her to put the bike rack in the car, sling the kids in and come and pick me up..............

Nice day, im walking .............

Until, as I was just about to start off (bike still in Aussie mode) two guys ride past, slow down and ask if im sorted, I explain the issue with the chain and next thing he's in his rucksack saying something about its not a permanent fix, but should get you home - whips a length of chain out, breaks a link off, snaps it onto mine, re-feeds the chain and sorted in about 3 minutes - im gobsmacked. Loving his multitool with built in chain tool and tyre levers (this one) many thank yous and hand shakes and im off

Only to catch my shorts on the top of my drink bottle and snap the bottle cage

Limped home through the hell of mid-afternoon walkers, dog walkers, ignorant walking dead zombies who I am obviously invisible to ..........

Purchased multitool, replacement inertubes, Wippermans, Chain, bottlecage (and blue screws for added bling ) as well as a Co2 pump and replacement cartridges, just incase for next time

Great ride with some poo moments ...........

Comment

• I like the look of the multitool.

"Claimed in the name of fettle" is pure gold and WILL be hashtagged.

Any ride that results in MOAR bling purchasing is a success. And you met nice mountain bikers.

A great write up A+++++++
              the trails is where life flows best
              Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

• Originally posted by {SAS}TB View Post
                Bugger Cruciate, what a day to be in work

My ride was both ends of the enjoyment spectrum - lovely warm T-shirt ride and swearing trailside fettling x2 having to be "rescued" by two friendly passing MTBers ..........

4.5 hours "out" with just over 2 in the saddle moving gives you a feel for the low end of the enjoyment scale

The route itself was a great mostly gloop avoiding run with some tweaks to the "usual" run with some nice single side track action off the main path

Really glad of this PB as its the steepest / highest climb on the route and getting easier each time

However the gravel resulted in mid-ride fettle #1 - puncture

Found a friendly rock to use as a work bench

"Nice" views of the salt works

Inner tube removed and replaced no problem and off we went with rest of the ride

Taking in the sun, lovely and warm - not too many people out, even less as I was taking the single track side trails, absolute bliss ........

One minor incident with a thorny bush () but looked a lot worse than it was / is

So, at the very far end of the ride stopped for refreshments (this is the last trailside fettle table)

Off I trot again and see a nice steep trail heading up above the main track and decide to give it a try

The reason my bike is against the fence is almost at the top and crunch, snap twang - FFS another snapped chain - pull it off from the bike and FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU 1/2 of the Wipperman is missing so spend almost 20 minutes on my hands and knees looking for the other half in the leaves / mud - nothing..........

Mid-ride fettle #2 - snapped chain

So, whip the chain breaker and spare links from when I fitted the Wipperman out and manage to get the link in and flip the bike only to find a length of chain - complete with the othre half of the Wipperman id been looking for (I/m now resembling Stressed Eric . FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

And breathe ..........

So, I now fit the Wipperman, but still have another joint to make, with no spare link and look at the end link I had to work with

My workbench wasn't the best either

So, bit the bullet, plopped the two bits of chain in a sandwich bag and did the walk of shame, pushing my bike to find a better fettle spot

After a mile of so and lots of sideways glances / sniggers from dog walkers, other cyclists, people in general I find a bench and claim it in the name of fettle. I then proceed to spend about another 1/2 an hour completely unable to repair the link. I even tried to use the short length, trying missing the rear mech out (I know I know) and other idea, but no, I admitted defeat.

So packed the chain away and sat thinking, hmmmm th ebest part of a 10 mile walk, pushing the bike or calling the Mrs and asking her to put the bike rack in the car, sling the kids in and come and pick me up..............

Nice day, im walking .............

Until, as I was just about to start off (bike still in Aussie mode) two guys ride past, slow down and ask if im sorted, I explain the issue with the chain and next thing he's in his rucksack saying something about its not a permanent fix, but should get you home - whips a length of chain out, breaks a link off, snaps it onto mine, re-feeds the chain and sorted in about 3 minutes - im gobsmacked. Loving his multitool with built in chain tool and tyre levers (this one) many thank yous and hand shakes and im off

Only to catch my shorts on the top of my drink bottle and snap the bottle cage

Limped home through the hell of mid-afternoon walkers, dog walkers, ignorant walking dead zombies who I am obviously invisible to ..........

Purchased multitool, replacement inertubes, Wippermans, Chain, bottlecage (and blue screws for added bling ) as well as a Co2 pump and replacement cartridges, just incase for next time

Great ride with some poo moments ...........
                Sweet lawd what a ride! Any idea what caused the chain snap? was the power link on frowning towards the ground? was the chain too short after the snap and pulling mech too much, hence the added length was ok? power link bent? aware me!

I'm thinking a spare length of chain is worth carrying now LOL

PS. this is my current love, KMC X10-93 with a wipperman link to join .

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-x10-93-10-speed-chain/

Comment

• what chain is this? and is this chain or powerlink?

Comment

• Originally posted by cruciate View Post
                    Left the house at 6.55
                    Just got back in......from work

It appears that it's been a lovely day. I will be avoiding all ride write ups due to jealousy and spite.
                    Except TBs. I'll read that because it doesn't sound like a jellymaker

Oh and God? For making today so lovely while I'm in work... I've 2 letters for you..
                    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
                    Hike and a pint today, and it felt like Early June! Absolute scorcher!

Comment

• Originally posted by cruciate View Post
                      I like the look of the multitool.

"Claimed in the name of fettle" is pure gold and WILL be hashtagged.

Any ride that results in MOAR bling purchasing is a success. And you met nice mountain bikers.

A great write up A+++++++
                      He he - cheers - two great guys and absolute life savers - and to think I was 1/2 minded not to take my backpack ........

Originally posted by coiler View Post
                      Sweet lawd what a ride! Any idea what caused the chain snap? was the power link on frowning towards the ground? was the chain too short after the snap and pulling mech too much, hence the added length was ok? power link bent? aware me!

I'm thinking a spare length of chain is worth carrying now LOL

PS. this is my current love, KMC X10-93 with a wipperman link to join .

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-x10-93-10-speed-chain/
                      I'm not sure TBH - Wipperman was the right way round - no power link bendage - no idea mate - just hope the new chain sorts it :/

what chain is this? and is this chain or powerlink?
                      It's chain KMC X10!

Hike and a pint today, and it felt like Early June! Absolute scorcher!
                      Very nice, hopefully this is the start of some scorchio weather - today's grief would have not been fun in the rain !

Comment

• And a few pics from today :

Weaver View With Bike by Jon Parry, on Flickr

Trail #1 by Jon Parry, on Flickr

Trail #3 by Jon Parry, on Flickr

Weaver View #2 by Jon Parry, on Flickr

Weaver View #3 by Jon Parry, on Flickr
                        Last edited by {SAS}TB; 13-03-16, 22:22.

Comment

• Which bit did it snap on then, where powerlink joined or random bit of chain somewhere else?

Comment

• Just a random bit of chain mate

Ill keep a length of this one in my backpack from now on and will save the wipperman along with the KMC quick link on the chain.

The new wipperman chain comes with another quick link and ive ordered two from Ribble to should have enough for any future dramas

Comment

• Wonder how half the wipperman went missing, taught to loose chain flung it off when passed through mech?

Wipperman chains are good, in fact do you want my 10SX as a spare? only had one ride on it when I decided it was noisy on my Sram cassette, so got a KMC which was quiet in comparison, strange as my 9 spd wippers have been quiet on Sram,

http://www.connexchain.com/en/product/connex-10sx.html

comparison

http://www.connexchain.com/en/10-speed-chains.html

Its only had 2 links taken off it, triple 10 spd and VPP likes a long chain, doesn't have the quicklink i'm using that now though

Comment

• #Hottest ride O the year..., doesn't look it, but the bag boiled.

#Snow tipped peaks

#NotAsGoodAsPeanutButterButStillGood

#Clean

#Bestú40YouCanSpend

Comment

Working...
                                X