The MTB THREAD .....*Spring has Sprung, dust production March*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by coiler View Post
    Did you like the "Missus bike did a SAS [TB] on a cracking ride last year" bit

I've put my spare Santa Cruz hangar in my pack now, definite essential
    Lol, I did - i read it first time and was like WTF - then re-read it and was like

I also have a spare in my pack .........
    flickr | Pootling Pics | Instagram

Comment

Vbrakes > cable discs for sure.

Can easy do an endo on the hardtail V's, lots of insta stopping power, went OTB several times (comedy slowmo style) 16 years back when first got the bike and wasn't used to V power
      My old giant did endos with me sat on the seat when I upgraded to clarks cartridge pads and kevlar cables, tbf aside from lack of modulation v brakes are really good just can't beat that hydro feel (tm) and not having dat noise of grit on rim either
      Originally posted by jointhedotz
      I admit it, it's so damn good! following Alan on the downs, just getting a feel

Comment

• Hydro are also amaze for uber long descents, so much refinement, and control, and proper emergency stopping power @ warp factor 11, but yeah always been fond of Vs
        Originally posted by Aaron
        I want those sweet cherries

Comment

• I remember once when i worked in the orange place a woman bought one of those pendletons when they had just come out, vbrakes on that but with chrome rims.

Thing is the plating made the brakes squeal like a bastard and because I was the resident v brake wizard i said I'd sort them.

So I went at the braking surface with wet and dry to take the smoothness off the chrome, manager thought i was mad but the woman came back in from the test drive happy as you like
          Originally posted by jointhedotz
          I admit it, it's so damn good! following Alan on the downs, just getting a feel

Comment

• flickr | Pootling Pics | Instagram

Comment

• @Coiler, is it not worth just picking up a decent starter bike for the mrs? Or even doing a frame swap from your schwinn, just buy a smaller frame for the components? Carrerra frames go for peanuts but are actually pretty decent (the 06-10ish ones are about 1700 grams! have a read through THIS)

As for V Brakes....properly set up.....in the dry......awesome. The other 364 days of the year it's hydro disks all the way

I too remember when V brakes came out, they were amazing........but you have to remember we were coming from cantis lol
              Last edited by jointhedotz; 10-03-16, 08:30.
              Originally posted by {SAS}TB
              Also gives me the chance to probe around the wife's rear end

Comment

• Originally posted by {SAS}TB View Post
                +

http://forums.aria.co.uk/showthread....=1#post2597703

=

https://www.strava.com/activities/513085475

Shower and coffee then report incoming

Comment

• Originally posted by jointhedotz View Post
                  @Coiler, is it not worth just picking up a decent starter bike for the mrs? Or even doing a frame swap from your schwinn, just buy a smaller frame for the components? Carrerra frames go for peanuts but are actually pretty decent (the 06-10ish ones are about 1700 grams! have a read through THIS)

As for V Brakes....properly set up.....in the dry......awesome. The other 364 days of the year it's hydro disks all the way

I too remember when V brakes came out, they were amazing........but you have to remember we were coming from cantis lol

Bought it her many years ago 6 weeks before we decided to do the manc > blackpool charity ride, did 2-3 evening rides a week, getting as much distance in as possible to get fitness up, was an amazing year for training, very dry Spring, lots of post work heat and sun, biking addiction got her Plan was to get a decent bike if she kept at it. Then she bought a horse and the biking tailed off.

Roll on 4-5 years and Cruciates Valentines Strava meme, and she wants to get into again, going to see how it goes and if she keeps at it, prob pick up a 2014/2015 from paulscycles, GT brand I adore for 300-400.

I've moved the wheels across from Scwhinn, X7 gearset, tyres, red yeti grips, wipperman chain, redline pedals, so far

Ps its a halfords apollo bike, frame is sweet, like new, it was just full of 150 full bike components which are rubbish.

Comment

• Originally posted by {SAS}TB View Post

Comment

• Looking at that lovely canondale jekyll 3 again that coiler posted. What a bargain.

However........

It's an inverted lefty.
                      I know leftys get great reviews, but they look wrong.
                      And it's upside down. The strut that goes into the housing is on the bottom. All mud goes straight into housing ruining suspension very quickly.
                      Why would you do this? WHY? WHHHYYYYYYYYYYY???
                      Originally posted by coiler
                      the trails is where life flows best
                      Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

• Originally posted by cruciate View Post
                        Looking at that lovely canondale jekyll 3 again that coiler posted. What a bargain.

However........

It's an inverted lefty.
                        I know leftys get great reviews, but they look wrong.
                        And it's upside down. The strut that goes into the housing is on the bottom. All mud goes straight into housing ruining suspension very quickly.
                        Why would you do this? WHY? WHHHYYYYYYYYYYY???

So the suspension stanchion pushes into the housing pointing downwards so gravity can suck all the trail gloop straight in?

RIGHT i'll spec another tonight.

Comment

lol

OK, so - the good - was a crisp cold run out and leaving the house for 7 not many people about until the home straight.

PB on "Dredger Blues" was a bit of a surprise as there is a ******* gate and had to dodge a few ignorant runners happily shctting 3 a breast across the towpath .....

Annnnnd the bad - Felt the ride more as not been out in a while (not necessarily in a bad way though)

Chain is still slipping like a bar steward (even after another mech fettle session) and mostly when under pressure / climbing which isn't good - may be down to the general state of the bike and although against my religion, I may have to wash her down

The ride:

Love the way you can really interrogate the detail of segments

Did the "usual" route but with a few little exploratory for longer rides and better weather (still slippy slidy out there)

Stopped for a bite to eat at about 8.00am

Also, for the first time since ive done the route, the "side single tracks" were about ride able (usually far too gloopy)

Some nice rise and fall - great fun

Then had the shock of the year so far - one of the cross field / farmers track / tyre track rut fest sections has been hard-cored - not sure if they are leaving as is or going to tarmac it - was shocked and not impressed

Comment

• Goodness TB, do you get any time to ride with you taking so many photos?
                            Great for us, but I'm afraid I see something good and think "nah, not stopping, I've got strava PRs to beat!"
                            Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

• Originally posted by cruciate View Post
                              Goodness TB, do you get any time to ride with you taking so many photos?
                              Just about squeeze some in

Originally posted by cruciate View Post
                              Great for us, but I'm afraid I see something good and think "nah, not stopping, I've got strava PRs to beat!"
                              I like to mix my riding and photography hobbies and a great excuse for a rest and re-hydration

Comment

So the suspension stanchion pushes into the housing pointing downwards so gravity can suck all the trail gloop straight in?

RIGHT i'll spec another tonight.
                                Best picture I can find

Comment

Working...
                                X