• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by coiler View Post
    NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

Take apart an X7 shifter, especially if it has a gear selection window!

NOT ENDORSED FETTLERY

The spring alone was a large blackhole of minutes deciding where it should go after it flew out when I popped the cover then getting it to stay in place once retensioned, I can't begin to describe...

An hour later of head against wall, tis fixed! missus bike ready to roll, nearly

Originally posted by {SAS}TB
    Also gives me the chance to probe around the wife's rear end

Comment

• Lol at that shifter, shimano wouldn't errrrrr be that awkward
      Originally posted by jointhedotz
      I admit it, it's so damn good! following Alan on the downs, just getting a feel

Comment

• tbf i wouldn't open one. few squirts of gt85 and clicking it should clear out any gunk, then add a drop of lube. x7 would be cheap enough to replace anyway

Comment

• #fettlement story ahoy

Missus bike did a SAS [TB] on a cracking ride last year, picnic in bag, mid summer, dust everywhere, blue skies, gentle cooling breeze, 30 mins in, 5 miles from the picnic spot, pootling along, rear mech decided to self implode

It was one of those SIS rear mechs, with the huge red plastic jockey wheel, standard on her Halfords bike, (yes halfords bike!!!) She was in large cog up front, and went to large cog out back, instead of dropping to middle cog up front for easier peddling, either halfords cut the chain too short, or the rubbish cheap mech couldn't take the chain line/torque/stretch. BANG. CRUNCH. FFS.

Wish i'd have taken a pic at the time, but mech was mangled, hangar bent over, chain tangled everywhere, shifter unresponsive

Trail surgery, no powerlink, so split the chain, bent the hangar best I could using mech as lever, untensioned cable and reset, un tangled chain, re joined, chain skipping over middle two cogs and shifter not working, h+l screwed it and ziptie'd the hell out of it, enough to get one gear, very noisily like, but got home in limp mode, mix of light peddling and rolling a lot.

Only just now has the missus put an RMA request in for me to repair said bike, she wants some spring trail action (i blame cruciate for his valentines ride and me showing missus the strava goodness) So after some halfords hanger procurement faff, swanky X7 mech is fitted from me old hardtail, my old wheels fitting to give her 9 speed not 7 and epic 16 year old Mavic/STX hoops/hubs still rolling true, and half working x7 trigger shifter which was jammed now repaired (Saved 20-30 on new shifter)

Need to cut and fit wipperman chain tonight i've got spare, and tune the gears, then finally fix the brakes, V-brakes OH LAWD!
          Originally posted by Aaron
          I want those sweet cherries

Comment

• V brakes over cable discs any day!

Comment

#fettlement story ahoy

Missus bike did a SAS [TB] on a cracking ride last year, picnic in bag, mid summer, dust everywhere, blue skies, gentle cooling breeze, 30 mins in, 5 miles from the picnic spot, pootling along, rear mech decided to self implode

It was one of those SIS rear mechs, with the huge red plastic jockey wheel, standard on her Halfords bike, (yes halfords bike!!!) She was in large cog up front, and went to large cog out back, instead of dropping to middle cog up front for easier peddling, either halfords cut the chain too short, or the rubbish cheap mech couldn't take the chain line/torque/stretch. BANG. CRUNCH. FFS.

Wish i'd have taken a pic at the time, but mech was mangled, hangar bent over, chain tangled everywhere, shifter unresponsive

Trail surgery, no powerlink, so split the chain, bent the hangar best I could using mech as lever, untensioned cable and reset, un tangled chain, re joined, chain skipping over middle two cogs and shifter not working, h+l screwed it and ziptie'd the hell out of it, enough to get one gear, very noisily like, but got home in limp mode, mix of light peddling and rolling a lot.

Only just now has the missus put an RMA request in for me to repair said bike, she wants some spring trail action (i blame cruciate for his valentines ride and me showing missus the strava goodness) So after some halfords hanger procurement faff, swanky X7 mech is fitted from me old hardtail, my old wheels fitting to give her 9 speed not 7 and epic 16 year old Mavic/STX hoops/hubs still rolling true, and half working x7 trigger shifter which was jammed now repaired (Saved 20-30 on new shifter)

Need to cut and fit wipperman chain tonight i've got spare, and tune the gears, then finally fix the brakes, V-brakes OH LAWD!
              I understood about 6% of that. I now understand how non-techies must feel.

(I'm just here to appreciate the double entendres).

Comment

• That's how I feel when there is talk of networking/programming

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaz View Post
                  V brakes over cable discs any day!
                  Originally posted by coiler
                  He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
                  Originally posted by BigIan88
                  turn off that sexy nonsense
                  Originally posted by Salad Soup
                  turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

• Cable discs 100% haram, unforgivable in times if 40 spankers acera hydro sets.

See yourself out

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaz View Post
                      Cable discs 100% haram, unforgivable in times if 40 spankers acera hydro sets.

See yourself out

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s.../rp-prod129564

Comment

#fettlement story ......!
                        Even more reason for spares and tools on every ride
                        flickr | Pootling Pics | Instagram

Comment

• Did you like the "Missus bike did a SAS [TB] on a cracking ride last year" bit

I've put my spare Santa Cruz hangar in my pack now, definite essential

Comment

• Vbrakes > cable discs for sure.

Can easy do an endo on the hardtail V's, lots of insta stopping power, went OTB several times (comedy slowmo style) 16 years back when first got the bike and wasn't used to V power

Comment

Did you like the "Missus bike did a SAS [TB] on a cracking ride last year" bit

I've put my spare Santa Cruz hangar in my pack now, definite essential
                              Lol, I did - i read it first time and was like WTF - then re-read it and was like

I also have a spare in my pack .........
                              flickr | Pootling Pics | Instagram

Comment

Vbrakes > cable discs for sure.

Can easy do an endo on the hardtail V's, lots of insta stopping power, went OTB several times (comedy slowmo style) 16 years back when first got the bike and wasn't used to V power
                                My old giant did endos with me sat on the seat when I upgraded to clarks cartridge pads and kevlar cables, tbf aside from lack of modulation v brakes are really good just can't beat that hydro feel (tm) and not having dat noise of grit on rim either

Comment

Working...
                                X