No announcement yet.

The MTB THREAD .....*Spring has Sprung, dust production March*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, with a good bit of force and the plastic extension piece from the hoover (Cloest thing to hand) I managed to get the right pedal on. The left one is an issue because in my earlier attempt I may have round it off a little too much so the spanner just keeps goung round.

I'll mess around with it again tomorrow, maybe some grips will do the trick?
    "They're gonna find out
    I don't know who they are or what they're gonna find out
    But they're gonna find out
    And it's gonna be over real quick"

Comment

• Originally posted by darklighthim View Post
      Well, with a good bit of force and the plastic extension piece from the hoover (Cloest thing to hand) I managed to get the right pedal on. The left one is an issue because in my earlier attempt I may have round it off a little too much so the spanner just keeps goung round.

I'll mess around with it again tomorrow, maybe some grips will do the trick?
      +
      If its now rounded off and bin worthy, just go all out, pliers, adjustable spanner, hammer, chainsaw, anglegrinder, axe THE LOT!
      Originally posted by Aaron
      I want those sweet cherries

Comment

• Sheer brute force with an adjustable spanner finally got it.

Old pedal

New pedal

May be old but a few bits and bobs can make her look that bit nicer
        "They're gonna find out

Comment

• Feel the upgrade itch flow through you
          Originally posted by jointhedotz
          I admit it, it's so damn good! following Alan on the downs, just getting a feel

Comment

• Was in and out Evans fairly fast as I knew I'd get a whole host of ideas that would be nice at somepoint a;lthough not quite yet.

I did stand there for a bit to consider these pedals in red or black, trying to picture them on my bike. I'm glad I went with the red though, because the crank is black so having the pedals in red just continues the colour scheme of bike quite nicely I think. Will get to test these out on Sunday possibly but more likely Monday at the earliest.
            "They're gonna find out

Comment

• The red pedals look great mate

The upgrade itch for enhanced wife is worse than PC upgrades !
              flickr | Pootling Pics | Instagram

Comment

• Yeah red pedals look good!

Best way to test out new flats... properly.

Catch the pedal by mistake when wheeling bike in hand so the crank spins round super quick, then stop it by letting the fresh sharp grub screws embed into your shin, welcome to one of the worst pains known to mankind. Best to repeat this bedding in process several times over the coming weeks and months, some of which will require forceably pulling the pedal out of your shin bone. Eventually the pedals will be fully tested, with slightly duller grub screws and a more cautious owner GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

For brucie bonus points let the pedal meet the shin at high speed in the middle of a sharp corner going full tilt when your foot slips, OH LAWD

Comment

• Yep, or let feet slide off pedals downwards when feet are muddy, allowing grub screws to slice their way up back of ankle right where your shoe rubs

Comment

• Originally posted by {SAS}TB
                    Also gives me the chance to probe around the wife's rear end

Comment

• Originally posted by coiler View Post
                      Catch the pedal by mistake when wheeling bike in hand so the crank spins round super quick, then stop it by letting the fresh sharp grub screws embed into your shin, welcome to one of the worst pains known to mankind. Best to repeat this bedding in process several times over the coming weeks and months, some of which will require forceably pulling the pedal out of your shin bone. Eventually the pedals will be fully tested,
                      That's happened with my old pedals countless times resulting in cuts and scrapes, even blood. I still used to do it these days but that was more when I wasn't paying attention/thinking.
                      "They're gonna find out

Comment

• http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/ar...vetrain-46357/

New sram 1x11 gruppo on the way, this is relevant to my interests and wallet

Should see Deore or slx 1x11 shortly after

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaz View Post
                          http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/ar...vetrain-46357/

New sram 1x11 gruppo on the way, this is relevant to my interests and wallet

Should see Deore or slx 1x11 shortly after
                          How does it compare to my 36 rear 22 upfront for steep mountain packhorse trails? Ratio me!

Comment

Yep, or let feet slide off pedals downwards when feet are muddy, allowing grub screws to slice their way up back of ankle right where your shoe rubs
                            That's equally bad, anything ankle and grub screw contact related, it burns!!!!

Also done the calf several times, but that just tends to bleed without so much pain.

Comment

• Originally posted by coiler View Post
                              How does it compare to my 36 rear 22 upfront for steep mountain packhorse trails? Ratio me!
                              Right, so calculating it on speed and cadence:

22x36 is 4 mph at 80rpm
                              32x42 is 5 mph at 80rpm
                              34x42 is 5.4 mph at 80rpm

But do you really climb in full granny? I find it hard to balance lol

If you were in 1 and 2 on the back and say that was 22x34 it would be 4.3 mph at 80 rpm

If lower speed is easier which I think is the correct interpretation then you would be looking at 10% ish more effort for 34x42 vs 22x34? I could live with that for simplicity gains

*goes to lie down*
                              Last edited by Chaz; 12-02-16, 10:01.

Comment

Right, so calculating it on speed and cadence:

22x36 is 4 mph at 80rpm
                                32x42 is 5 mph at 80rpm
                                34x42 is 5.4 mph at 80rpm

But do you really climb in full granny? I find it hard to balance lol

If you were in 1 and 2 on the back and say that was 22x34 it would be 4.3 mph at 80 rpm

If lower speed is easier which I think is the correct interpretation then you would be looking at 10% ish more effort for 34x42 vs 22x34? I could live with that for simplicity gains

*goes to lie down*
                                You're just bitter over the recent hospital visit lol

FWIW 1xX all the way! I do think one of those expander rings may be handy though
                                Originally posted by {SAS}TB
                                Also gives me the chance to probe around the wife's rear end

Comment

Working...
                                X