The MTB THREAD .....*Spring has Sprung, dust production March*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cruciate View Post
    I'm super jealous of all the knowledge on here.
    I wouldn't dream of undertaking some of the jobs you lot are doing.
    I could just about manage a shifter change and if push comes to shove, I've done a rear derailleur before but it was high on the faff factor.
    I wouldn't touch hubs, headsets or anything else bearing-y.
    Changing suspension parts can also be added to the nope list.

Interesting really, because the simplest thing I've done on all my bike is cassette removal and replacement, and that's the one thing I think coiler said he doesn't do.

Anyway, while the weather is pants I guess it's good to get these jobs done, but I feel sad seeing these bikes in captivity rather than out in the wild.

Two things I get my local LBS to do, cassettes and sawing steerers, don't have a vice for a neat job on steerer, and casettes no chain whip or lock tool to undo the spider at end, finally my torque spanner isn't big enough to retorque said locking spider to correct NM, and i've got correct torque OCD Plus he only charges a 5 and usually pick up some bits while in there, nice to support him, friendly old chap been in the game for 30+ years.

Find the parktool youtube videos are good before any news maintenance tasks not carried out before

ps. only think i've missed one week since autumn/winter begun, and that was ice day, been out once or twice at weekend, so winter training going better than ever imagined.
    Originally posted by Aaron
    I want those sweet cherries

Comment

• I used one of these for the steerer and then neatened up with a file: http://www.diy.com/hand-tools/bq-tub.../191157_BQ.prd

As for cassette....chain whip and tool are <15, correct torque is for girls....I've never lost a cassette yet
      Originally posted by {SAS}TB
      Also gives me the chance to probe around the wife's rear end

Comment

• Yeah I mean I have multiple reasons for doing my own work: a) learnt easy stuff from dad, and more from working in the trade, b) I enjoy doing it and have more faith knowing it's done right and c) without a car to take bike to the shop it's a lot easier to just diy it

I think the main thing is the investment in the tools, I have the tools to do pretty much anything on a bike which is a good few hundred quids worth, but it's worth it imo

When it comes to torque it's definitely good to torque some things, I'd definitely torque up suspension pivots but otherwise I think personally most stuff can be done by hand if you have some mechanical affinity/empathy which just comes with experience (which for me is from building who knows how many bikes in the shop and also motorbike fettling
        Originally posted by jointhedotz
        I admit it, it's so damn good! following Alan on the downs, just getting a feel

Comment

• Originally posted by jointhedotz View Post
          I used one of these for the steerer and then neatened up with a file: http://www.diy.com/hand-tools/bq-tub.../191157_BQ.prd

As for cassette....chain whip and tool are <15, correct torque is for girls....I've never lost a cassette yet
          Just like stuff torqued right, not over, not under, just right, OCD the torquesszzzzzzz.

Can't believe someone left a 1* review, and didn't take it out the packet, 1* because his handyman brought his own WTAF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[COLOR=#999999 !important][COLOR=inherit !important][COLOR=inherit !important][COLOR=inherit !important]★★★★★★★★★★[COLOR=inherit !important]1 out of 5
          stars.
          [/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=inherit !important][COLOR=inherit !important][COLOR=inherit !important][COLOR=#333333 !important]4QBandQ

[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333 !important][COLOR=inherit !important][/COLOR] [COLOR=inherit !important]5 months ago [/COLOR][/COLOR]
          [/COLOR]
          [/COLOR]
          [/COLOR]
          [/COLOR]
          [COLOR=inherit !important]waste of money as the handyman supplied his own

[/COLOR]
          [/COLOR]
          [/COLOR]
          [COLOR=inherit !important][COLOR=inherit !important]Bought it to get some bars put up. But the handyman brought his own to the job. So a bit of wasted purchase. Still sat in its packet. But it does look like a pretty good tool.

[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

Comment

• Considering the ELEMNT, not looked at price yet, but if its less than 200 i'm getting it LOL

http://uk.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-computers.html

RFLKT gets too many bad reviews communicating with phone in backpack

Comment

• 279 on pre order, due out in March, high on will buy list

While the ELEMNT is first and foremost a GPS bike computer, it does more than just display data metrics. For example, the unit can display maps and routes, which are pulled from OpenStreetMap and 3rd party services like Strava. Additionally, it has a bit of a higher level of integration on the phone than most competitive units – allowing for features such as friend location display and complete configuration via the phone app. Plus, the pairing process is pretty cool and much cleaner than any other bike computer out there. Not to mention the sweet LED scheme on the unit for displaying intensity information.
              When it comes to data display, Wahoo obviously displays your ride data. It can connect to both ANT+ and Bluetooth Smart sensors, such as heart rate straps, power meters, and speed/cadence sensors. As well as trainers and soon the GoPro action cam. But the ELEMNT arranges the data fields a little bit differently. For starters, you don’t configure each data page separately. Rather, you configure what is sorta a ‘list’ of prioritized data metrics. You can then increase or decrease the number of metrics during the ride on the fly. Higher priority metrics get displayed, and then lower priority metrics disappear. So you can see this below as I change from 1 field to 10 fields:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/09/wahoos-computerelemnt-first.html

Comment

• Dat expense!

Comment

• Thought it seemed pretty good VS the more expensive Garmin

Comment

• Originally posted by coiler View Post
                    Just like stuff torqued right, not over, not under, just right, OCD the torquesszzzzzzz.

Can't believe someone left a 1* review, and didn't take it out the packet, 1* because his handyman brought his own WTAF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[COLOR=#999999 !important][COLOR=inherit !important][COLOR=inherit !important][COLOR=inherit !important]★★★★★★★★★★[COLOR=inherit !important]1 out of 5
                    stars.
                    [/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=inherit !important][COLOR=inherit !important][COLOR=inherit !important][COLOR=#333333 !important]4QBandQ

[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333 !important][COLOR=inherit !important][/COLOR] [COLOR=inherit !important]5 months ago [/COLOR][/COLOR]
                    [/COLOR]
                    [/COLOR]
                    [/COLOR]
                    [/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=inherit !important]waste of money as the handyman supplied his own

[/COLOR]
                    [/COLOR]
                    [/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=inherit !important][COLOR=inherit !important]Bought it to get some bars put up. But the handyman brought his own to the job. So a bit of wasted purchase. Still sat in its packet. But it does look like a pretty good tool.

[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]
                    shocking isn't it, because of that i left a review lol
                    Originally posted by {SAS}TB
                    Also gives me the chance to probe around the wife's rear end

Comment

I'm super jealous of all the knowledge on here.
                      I wouldn't dream of undertaking some of the jobs you lot are doing.

Me too I have much fettling and cockupping to do before I get my head round most of it

Delivery of the day ?

4 for the price of 3 (3.90 delivered) neoprene / velcro chain stay guards - will use with zip ties as well
                      flickr | Pootling Pics | Instagram

Comment

• Originally posted by {SAS}TB View Post
                        Me too I have much fettling and cockupping to do before I get my head round most of it

Delivery of the day ?

4 for the price of 3 (3.90 delivered) neoprene / velcro chain stay guards - will use with zip ties as well

to be honest they stay on and don't budge so zip ties not normally required. I use to use two on my Heckler overlapping, but Blur on one as shorter area the chain can hit.

Comment

• Yeah the velcro is mega strong, wont need the ties

Comment

• That Elemnt looks the biz doesn't it?
                            I'm loving Wahoo's stuff at the moment. With #discobike having a garmin, I don't think I can squeeze on of these onto the handlebars as well!!

Cassette locking nuts are clever and I genuinely don't believe you could screw up fitting one.
                            Originally posted by coiler
                            the trails is where life flows best
                            Originally posted by coiler
                            Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

That Elemnt looks the biz doesn't it?
                              I'm loving Wahoo's stuff at the moment. With #discobike having a garmin, I don't think I can squeeze on of these onto the handlebars as well!!

Cassette locking nuts are clever and I genuinely don't believe you could screw up fitting one.
                              You try getting that thing on when your hands are shaking from a caffeine overdose

Comment

• meh I enjoy visiting the LBS every few years

Comment

Working...
                                X