The MTB THREAD .....*Spring has Sprung, dust production March*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cruciate View Post
    I clean with isopropyl every few weeks and have tried the sanding down.
    It *seems* like the calipers are not moving apart fully when I release the lever. It's only a mild squeak, and if I spin the wheels by hand they will freely spin for 2 or 3 turns but with a faint squeal. If I remove the pads the wheel spins for much longer. This makes me sad, as I realise I am wasting effort through friction.
    I figure either the calipers are stiff and not opening properly, or the pad spring is under powered and not pushing the calipers back open.
    Either that or disc brakes just always provide a little friction and I need to man up and grow a pair.
    when was the last time you bled the system and changed the DOT fluid?

Originally posted by marsey99 View Post
    do yours have one side which can be adjusted by a screw?

only it could be that pad which needs moving away slightly?

@coiler my bike had copper grease on everything after halfords built it xD

i still needed to refit the front derailleur

LOL! halfords oh lawdy!

Added after 2 minutes:

Originally posted by Cypher View Post
    When I fitted the Avid Code's on my DH bike I had the same thing, I'm sure there was one side that could be adjusted manually (the side that was rubbing) so I just backed it off a bit and hey presto. Very important to have evenly adjusted brakes as the discs get bloody hot doing DH, don't want one side of the disc getting substantially hotter than the other or you could warp them like I did on my car discs when my caliper seized

EDIT: AVID brakes are by far the easiest I have ever set up, although mine had the 'tri-align' system, where the caliper is mounted on a dome shaped washer, so you just loosen the the caliper bolts, squeeze the brake lever to square the pads up to the disc and then do the bolts up. That way it's perfectly square every time, and always worked on by bike even though it took an absolute hammering down Aston Hill every weekend.

Added after 2 minutes:

And I know you all love pictures so here is the bike in question...

sram x9 i endorse!

Had those same Sun singletrack rims on my Coiler

What do you think of the forks now their TF tuned? much difference? thinking of getting mine done.

How much does she weigh?

I will go and check. I'm pretty sure I've adjusted most things that can be adjusted.
    I've loosened the mounting, gripped the brake lever and re tightened, to try to realign everything.

My next thoughts are, remove the pads and sparingly copper grease the caliper itself.
    Change the pad spring.
    Change the pads.
    Change the whole lot for a non avid set as I remember coiler saying once that avid brakes were a real horror to get aligned properly

I forgot all about this ! Avid brakes are famous for the Turkey Warble...

have a read of the megathread...

"Usually only the rear brake makes a loud squealing noise, that may sound like a turkey warbling. "

http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/ju...ad-425196.html
    Last edited by coiler; 04-08-13, 14:04.
    Originally posted by Aaron
    I want those sweet cherries

Comment

Originally posted by coiler View Post
      when was the last time you bled the system and changed the DOT fluid?
      Haven't done. They are just over 12 months old.
      I've got the kit, but there is no sponginess, so I've avoided it up to now.
      Originally posted by coiler
      the trails is where life flows best
      Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

you read the turkey thread?

Comment

sram x9 i endorse!

Had those same Sun singletrack rims on my Coiler

What do you think of the forks now their TF tuned? much difference? thinking of getting mine done.

How much does she weigh?
          I think I started off with X-9 rear mech and an X-7 shifter, but then upgraded to an X-9 shifter too and it was fantastic! Couldn't bring myself to fork out for X-0 at the time though.

They were good rims, quite a few spokes came loose on the rear one though as it really did take a hammering going over all the roots at Aston and the 4X track at Chicksands.

Honestly, didn't notice much of a difference, they only went in for maintenance not actually for tuning. But I got them to fit a set of lighter springs for me as the stock ones were too hard for my weight/riding style, so I noticed that.

Can't actually remember the weight, but it wasn't particularly light...but then extra weight means more speed when you're only going down the hills, not up them But my god was it hard work pushing that bike all the way back up the path at Aston in full DH gear in the middle of summer (padded boxers, shin/knee guards and full upper body pressure suit)
          Intel i5-2500K @ 4GHz | 8GB DDR3 | ASUS GTX 970 | 500GB 850 EVO | Corsair H60 | Fractal Define S | Corsair SP2500 2.1 | ASUS 29" 2560x1080 IPS

Twitter / Instagram / YouTube

Comment

you read the turkey thread?
            I have now!!

I'm gonna do the couple of drops of DOT fluid on the piston trick, bleed the system and change the pads to the superstars.
            Fingers crossed
            Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

I have now!!

I'm gonna do the couple of drops of DOT fluid on the piston trick, bleed the system and change the pads to the superstars.
              Fingers crossed

I got rid of my Avid Juicy 5's and then 7's and made the move to Formula Oro Biancos, after a lot of Avid issues.

The formulas are veeeeeeeeeeeery nice, worth considering if you upgrade, modulation off the charts..

Added after 2 minutes:

Originally posted by Cypher View Post
              I think I started off with X-9 rear mech and an X-7 shifter, but then upgraded to an X-9 shifter too and it was fantastic! Couldn't bring myself to fork out for X-0 at the time though.

They were good rims, quite a few spokes came loose on the rear one though as it really did take a hammering going over all the roots at Aston and the 4X track at Chicksands.

Honestly, didn't notice much of a difference, they only went in for maintenance not actually for tuning. But I got them to fit a set of lighter springs for me as the stock ones were too hard for my weight/riding style, so I noticed that.

Can't actually remember the weight, but it wasn't particularly light...but then extra weight means more speed when you're only going down the hills, not up them But my god was it hard work pushing that bike all the way back up the path at Aston in full DH gear in the middle of summer (padded boxers, shin/knee guards and full upper body pressure suit)
              The Coiler came with Sun Ringles all round, but changed the front to a Halo when I upgraded to a Zocchi 88, oh lawdy that thing was plush, think the travel was 180mm, enough to soak anything up and to think the Coiler only cost me 700, as 2 year old stock, bargain.

Last edited by coiler; 04-08-13, 17:38.

Comment

@coiler
                I have only just realised that your user name is your old bike.

Comment

Just got a bargain on some new forks! Will wait until I've put them on to deliver pics
                  Originally posted by jointhedotz
                  I admit it, it's so damn good! following Alan on the downs, just getting a feel

Comment

hope they are coil

Comment

Nope , air

Comment

oh man, hopefully a good brand then? rockshox, and at least 400

cheap air forks arn't great

Comment

Bike pr0n?

Go on then...

2010 Trek EX8 with some upgrades:

Then wanted to try a hardtail again so bought a Chumba HX1 frame, new wheels, brakes forks and finishing kit and transferred the drivetrain over:

Then missed a bouncy rear end and bought a brand new unused 2012 Whyte T-120s frame, another new set of wheels and forks and transferred the finishing kit and drivetrain over again (Shimano XT is god damn indestructible people):

Comment

some gorgeous bits of kit on here

HAF XB:- Intel I7 4770k , Corsair H100i , 24gb RAM 1600mhz, , 2gb Nvida GTX 760, 2x1tb WD hdd, 240gb OCZ ssd, LG Blueray r/w odd
                            Intel I5 2500k - 8gb 1600mhz - 1gb Nvida GTX 560 - 1tb WD hdd - DVD rw
                            HP Dv7 3110ea Laptop :- I7 720qm Nvida geforce GT230m 8gb RAM 500gb hdd 120gb ssd

Comment

so have you found the holy grail now? or still not satisfied? nice whips, whyte is the fav!

Originally posted by Joey Propane View Post
                              Bike pr0n?

Go on then...

2010 Trek EX8 with some upgrades:

Then wanted to try a hardtail again so bought a Chumba HX1 frame, new wheels, brakes forks and finishing kit and transferred the drivetrain over:

Then missed a bouncy rear end and bought a brand new unused 2012 Whyte T-120s frame, another new set of wheels and forks and transferred the finishing kit and drivetrain over again (Shimano XT is god damn indestructible people):

Comment

oh man, hopefully a good brand then? rockshox, and at least 400

cheap air forks arn't great
                                I feel like I dont want to post my bike to be judged
                                Last edited by Chaz; 07-08-13, 22:35.

Comment

Working...
                                X