Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any DE/SE/Straight Razor Shavers on Aria?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tainted
    started a topic Any DE/SE/Straight Razor Shavers on Aria?

Any DE/SE/Straight Razor Shavers on Aria?

I've been getting my head round the whole wet/traditional DE Safety razor shaving since Nov '11. I've went from buying some basic shaving kit to splashing out a little more on some more expensive bits and pieces. I have to say, what a difference this type of shaving makes to your face and how enjoyable it is too. I used to be a Gillette Fusion with Foam/Gel type of shaver. Never, ever again! Taking the time to prep for shaving, using the right equipment and just the overall experience is great and is something to look forward to now instead of tearing lumps out of yourself. It also gives you the best shave you'll ever have, more often than not it'll be like a baby's ****.

Any other DE/Straight Razor shavers here?

I've been asked to put together a good starter kit, so in my humble guise as a DE Shaver, here goes...

Razor: http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/...me-Plated-DE89
    Brush: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Progress-Vul...9536313&sr=1-4
    Blades: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Superior-Pla...9536361&sr=1-1
    Cream: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arko-Shaving...9536398&sr=1-1
    A/S Balm: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professor-...-/350539572210

Any or all of the above will serve you well as you start out. The Arko is definitely something that can be changed out for something else as it's not for everyone. Even a tube of Palmolive Shaving Cream is excellent for a £1.50. For any initial outlay of about £45-£50 you'll save yourself a fortune in years to come, rather than spending £8 on a 4-pack of Gillette cartridges every other month, not to mention the goo in a can that'll cost you around £3-£4 a pop.
    Last edited by Tainted; 12-06-12, 22:31.

• FunkY
    replied
    Originally posted by BigIan88 View Post
    I shave every 4 days (neck and head) and I use a new blade (Sputnik) each time or it snags, cuts or causes a rash. I've never thought about sharpening them tbh.
    I've been using Sputnik blades for a while. If I just shave face and/or neck then I get about half a dozen shaves out of them. If I shave my head (which I only do with a razor occasionally), I need a new blade every time.

Leave a comment:

• BigIan88
    replied
    Derby blades are middle of the road in terms of shave quality, they are "ok" but nothing more. If you'd like a few different DE blades to try, let me know and I can send you some in the post

Sputnik are my favorite by miles but I have a wide variety of other blades in search of one I liked.

Leave a comment:

• danroyle
    replied
    I use a blade three times four max. I have thick hair And they blunt very quickly. And at a few pence a blade I just throw them. I use Wilkinson sword platinum blades they’re not the best but they’re ok. I used to use derby blades but they always felt rough after one shave

Leave a comment:

• BigIan88
    replied
    I shave every 4 days (neck and head) and I use a new blade (Sputnik) each time or it snags, cuts or causes a rash. I've never thought about sharpening them tbh.

Leave a comment:

• joker3327
    replied
    Well time to bring this to the front page again..... I have just completed my 50th shave...........with the same blade !!!!!!!! and its as smooth as the proverbial......

a few months ago I decided to see how long a blade would last .... the marker was the first time I got a nick.........in went a brand new feather !!!... put a dab of nail varnish on the razor on edge A..... then had a shave normal 3 pass jobbie..... then rinsed the razor ... reapeated 5 times either side ...then took the blade out and wiped several times with an old piece of leather... rinse and repeat.... this evening was No 50 and was going to be the last one before removal and clean...still going strong..... on pass 2 = Across I felt a little tug on my neck and there it was a spot of red.......

Im sure if I cleaned it ...it would have done many more...but the benchmark had been reached lol..... so 50 shaves over 3 months 1 blade......
    Last edited by joker3327; 28-09-17, 20:53.

Leave a comment:

• BigIan88
    replied
    100 Sputnik blades and a tub of Proraso soap arrived on Saturday. I can spare a few packs if people want to sample them

Leave a comment:

• scrivz69
    replied
    Sorry mate for the slow reply I have been at work, I will pm you and 30is fine if you can spare them.

Leave a comment:

• cruciate
    replied
    Originally posted by scrivz69 View Post
    Sorry mate I totally missed this, I will take as many as you can spare mate if you don't mind.
    Pm your address. I'll try to get some in the post before my holiday on Tuesday.
    30 or so OK?

Leave a comment:

• Moonchester
    replied
    Hi, sorry yes, thanks joker. they should see me about a year, I might have to up my shaving routine to accommodate them all

Leave a comment:

• scrivz69
    replied
    Originally posted by cruciate View Post
    Scrivz, got some Gillette 7'oclock yellows you can have. How many you need?
    Sorry mate I totally missed this, I will take as many as you can spare mate if you don't mind.

Leave a comment:

• joker3327
    replied
    Originally posted by Moonchester View Post
    I'll take them off your hands please.. will PM in a min..
    the amount I have to shave, each blade goes a long way..

and the army training of cleaning them down after every go keeps them fresher for longer..
    Have they arrived??

Leave a comment:

• cruciate
    replied
    Scrivz, got some Gillette 7'oclock yellows you can have. How many you need?

Leave a comment:

• scrivz69
    replied
    Cheers mate, they seem cheap enough. Got to go to work now so if anyone does want to send me some, I ain't ignoring you I am grafting lol.

Leave a comment:

• BigIan88
    replied
    *cough* TRY THESE *cough*

(My fav blade by miles)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X