Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any DE/SE/Straight Razor Shavers on Aria?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad you are enjoying it
    I have green proraso and its great - menthol and eucalyptus - cooling and tingly.
    I'm going to get some red, I love sandlewood. But I have about 9 different creams/soaps and can't justify more.

Let us know what its like.
    Originally posted by coiler
    the trails is where life flows best
    Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

• I only have Taylor of old bond street so thought i would get another one.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

• Just ordered the Proraso red. Should be here next week sometime. I'll update on how it comes across next week.
        Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.

15 2500k | H60 Cooler | 8GB RAM | GTX 660 Direct CU II OC

Comment

• all here

Comment

• Awesome!

Is that Clinique post shave soother (beard control formula)??
            Fabulous post shave balm. My favourite.
            Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

• Originally posted by cruciate View Post
              Awesome!

Is that Clinique post shave soother (beard control formula)??
              Fabulous post shave balm. My favourite.
              it is, girlfriend bought me a load of stuff in April for my birthday

Comment

• Originally posted by zeameth View Post
                it is, girlfriend bought me a load of stuff in April for my birthday
                She's a keeper!

Comment

• one shave completed, the results:

Started by having a good face wash.

Decided to use a bowel for lathering the Bluebeards shaving cream, as much as i tried couldn't get it to lather as much as i thought it should even though i was at it for a good couple of minutes. Assume its my method rather than the brush at this point, but i don't have anything to compare it to yet. Soaked a small towel in warm water and applied it to my face a few times and then badger brush in hand started plonking on the poorly lathered cream.

For this first little foray i had a Derby blade in the DE89. Started with the grain and the results on my face were fantastic, close and comfortable, had me thinking i really had done the lathering correctly. Chin and neck proved much more tricky with a couple of tiny weeping cuts on the edge of my chin and neck. Re-applied the lather all over and went from the ear inwards on my face and upwards on my neck. 1 little nick on my neck again but its tiny. for the first attempt i stopped there.

Rinsed face with warm water, all over with alum block and rinsed off with cold water, patted dry and applied the clinque balm to finish.

results are mixed really. face is exceptional, much closer and smoother than with a cartridge razor. Chin is OK, not as close as i would have liked, the left hand side of my neck is pretty good, no nicks and its fairy close, the right hand side has the nicks and isn't as close and a a little patchy. Alum block was fine, tingled on the cuts but not as bad as i was expected after reading a few posts on here. the clinique stuff is immense really took the sting out .

so in short, my technique must be rubbish around my neck, seeing as the left side is OK and the right is not some thought needed on how i do that section and find out if i'm lathering the cream wrong. overall enjoyed it and looking forward to the next one.

plus side i was met with copious amounts of cheek on cheek rubbing upon exit so defiantly a win.

Comment

one shave completed, the results:

Decided to use a bowel for lathering the Bluebeards shaving cream, as much as i tried couldn't get it to lather as much as i thought it should even though i was at it for a good couple of minutes. Assume its my method rather than the brush at this point, but i don't have anything to compare it to yet. Soaked a small towel in warm water and applied it to my face a few times and then badger brush in hand started plonking on the poorly lathered cream.

For this first little foray i had a Derby blade in the DE89. Started with the grain and the results on my face were fantastic, close and comfortable, had me thinking i really had done the lathering correctly. Chin and neck proved much more tricky with a couple of tiny weeping cuts on the edge of my chin and neck. Re-applied the lather all over and went from the ear inwards on my face and upwards on my neck. 1 little nick on my neck again but its tiny. for the first attempt i stopped there.

Rinsed face with warm water, all over with alum block and rinsed off with cold water, patted dry and applied the clinque balm to finish.

results are mixed really. face is exceptional, much closer and smoother than with a cartridge razor. Chin is OK, not as close as i would have liked, the left hand side of my neck is pretty good, no nicks and its fairy close, the right hand side has the nicks and isn't as close and a a little patchy. Alum block was fine, tingled on the cuts but not as bad as i was expected after reading a few posts on here. the clinique stuff is immense really took the sting out .

so in short, my technique must be rubbish around my neck, seeing as the left side is OK and the right is not some thought needed on how i do that section and find out if i'm lathering the cream wrong. overall enjoyed it and looking forward to the next one.

plus side i was met with copious amounts of cheek on cheek rubbing upon exit so defiantly a win.

Haha cheek on cheek rubbing..fnar fnar... Lather ok my method is to scoop a little soap into a glass bowl and add a small amount of hot water... Leave it whilst you fill the sink.... Drop your brush in the sink for a couple of mins whilst you hot towel your face...
                    Then with the brush swish around the bowl with a fair bit of pressure making the bristles fan out until it bubbles around the ends of the bristles...then dunk the tip of the brush in the sink and repeat in the bowl...

Once it's lathered up apply to you face...not too gently and in a circle motion...this has the added bit of lifting the hair too... Remember the soap fills the brush too so wrap two fingers around the base and squeeze up if you need some richer lather..( under your nose stops most nicks)
                    posted by scrivz69
                    I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
                    i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

• Also, don't panic too much. The first time you use a brush it can have some residue on it that affects the lather. It also makes it smell like dead animal.

After a few tries the lathering gets better and the brush smells of soap.

Comment

one shave completed, the results:

Sounds like a decent first crack at DE shaving to me!

Trust me, it'll take some time for your technique to improve. At a guess, I'd say your right handed hence the left side of your face didn't get as much pressure and therefore less nicks. Try easing off the pressure from the razor a little mate - assuming you were applying any - and let the razor's weight do the work.

It'll take a few goes before you start seeing the kind of results you hear us all banging on about, but once you do, you'll never look back.

Good to see another person giving this type of shaving a go.
                        Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.

15 2500k | H60 Cooler | 8GB RAM | GTX 660 Direct CU II OC

Comment

• I love being ambidextrous, means I can just swap hands

I type 90 WPM, Click Here to try
                          i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | R9 290| 16GB Ram @ 1600mhz
                          Nikon D5100 + Kit Lens + 50mm 1.8G - 16-35mm F4 VR // Ultrasone PRO 2900s - Audio GD NFB-3.1 - Neco Mosfett Amp

Comment

• Nice one Zeameth!

I've gone from shaving once a month to having three in one week lol. Love it
                            The banter bus has stopped rolling - 23/06/16

Comment

Decided to use a bowel for lathering the Bluebeards shaving cream
                              Are there any youtube videos of this method?

Comment

• Originally posted by heavywater View Post
                                Are there any youtube videos of this method?
                                I assumed he meant mixing in a bowl rather than a bowel

I've used Bluebeards a fair bit & find it incredibly easy to lather, make sure you give it enough water would be all I could say.

It is a bit of a learning curve but it looks like you got off to a very good start, trust us it will only get better each time. Derby blades are an ok start, the astras are way better though.

I was almost on the buy button today but the shaving shack are all out of futur razors, I have 3 quid in points & 10% off there too
                                Asus P5Q-E /Q6600 @3.6ghz/Water Loop On CPU/MSI 5850 Twin FrozrII/60GB M4/2Tb Samsung/Raven RV02W-EW/8Gb RAM/1200w PSU/27" AOC Monitor

Comment

Working...
                                X