Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any DE/SE/Straight Razor Shavers on Aria?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zeameth View Post
    also tempted to try this, its the outlay cost that has me thinking, around 50 to discover if its for me or not, though either way i imagine i would keep the brush and cream...

i know i will save a bundle if i get on with it in the long run...
    I was a bit concerned at first but It's been 100% worth it.
    Desktop: Intel i5-4690K | 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI | EVGA GTX 660 3GB | Windows 10
    Server 0: Gen8 HP Microserver | Proxmox Hypervisor Server 1: Gen8 HP Microserver | FreeNAS

Comment

• My first D/E Razor shave

Well, the final bits and bobs arrived today so I quickly rushed home so I could start shaving and see what all the fuss was about.

All I can say is, WOW!

On joker's advice I went slow to begin with but for some reason I didn't find it difficult to shave with at all, it was incredibly easy so long as I took my time. The blades were so sharp I didn't have to use much pressure and it glided off my face. After the first pass with the grain I decided to try against the grain, and after lathering up again I tried at the bottom of my sideburns and found that reasonably easy as well so continued over my entire face. The one thing I am always nervous about is shaving my adam's apple and that awful bum chin I inherited from my old man, but alas, it was dead easy to shave over and I found it much more simple to cover those areas than with a Gilette because of the smaller surface area of the razor.

Now, I have a face as soft as a baby's bottom, no nicks or cuts and none of the uncomfortableness or discomfort I often felt with a Gilette Fusion or similar razor. I am so impressed with this way of shaving that I had to call my Dad and boss to tell them what they are missing out on. I was certainly expecting to be cutting myself up to high heaven but I haven't got a single nick, I'm really happy with it.

Here's my kit if you didn't see the links before:

I really liked the cream, it's got a great scent and is exactly how I would expect a manly shaving cream to smell like lol. Can't believe how much of a lather such a small amount produces, there's a few shaves worth in there!
      The razor was easy to handle and very simple for me to set up, and as a noob that was helpful.
      The blades were very sharp as mentioned above and I found them much more effective than anything I'd used before. (QUESTION: What's the safest way to dispose of the razors? I don't want someone to hurt themselves.)
      The brush did the job, it wasn't too smelly thankfully however I did give it a good wash to make sure.

Hopefully if a few more pennies come my way, I shall be investing in a stand similar to this to complete my kit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Executive-Sh...253039&sr=8-15

FINALLY, I'd like to say thanks to the guys that have helped me decide on what to purchase and helped me along the way. I know it seems a bit naff but this is going to be something I do for the next god knows how many years and I can already feel a difference by using the D/E Razor and no doubt my skin will no longer be destroyed and rough lol
      The banter bus has stopped rolling - 23/06/16

Comment

• To dispose - I have cut a hole out of a jam jar lid, and post the used blades through the top. When its full I will just tape up the lid and throw it in the bin.

That kit looks ace!!
        Originally posted by coiler
        the trails is where life flows best
        Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

• Originally posted by cruciate View Post
          To dispose - I have cut a hole out of a jam jar lid, and post the used blades through the top. When its full I will just tape up the lid and throw it in the bin.

That kit looks ace!!
          That is a great idea Cruciate! I shall do that now I think.

Comment

• For a lather bowl, i use a metal one i picked up cheap cheap fron Ikea, think its 12cm diameter, cost 1.59

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30081467/
            Running the London Marathon 2014 for MS-UK, need to raise 2000, please support my bid by texting LZAZ76 plus ?amount? to 70070 ! ... Or via https://www.justgiving.com/luke-zasikowski

Comment

• im seriously considering getting one of the starter kits from TSC

Edwin Jagger DE89 Chrome Plated
              Black badger brush - Tortoise
              Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving shop cream (the two i would want, sandalwood and lemon/lime are of of stock)
              Derby Extra blades (10x)

for 40.50

I have a near new bottle of Clinique (ooh eer) post shave soother that should suffice while I'm 'experimenting',

while i do like the look of the Bluebeard shaving cream this way works out better value for money with the brush being pretty decent?

i await corrections on this assumption getting twitchy buying finger now... have i missed anything vital or would you change something out? I am fully prepared to spend more should this become something worthwhile later on but I'm looking to test without incurring to many costs to start.

Thanks chaps and damn you all for all your success stories!

Comment

• Originally posted by WR1989UK View Post
                That is a great idea Cruciate! I shall do that now I think.
                I use one of those paracetamol tubs you get for 19p from tesco the one you have to line the arrows up to open...
                posted by scrivz69
                I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
                i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

• Originally posted by joker3327 View Post
                  I use one of those paracetamol tubs you get for 19p from tesco the one you have to line the arrows up to open...
                  That's a pretty sound idea too actually. At the moment I'm using a glass pasta sauce bottle lol. Are the blades ok to put in the bin (in the glass ofcourse) or do I need to dispose of them somewhere else?

Comment

• I just throw them in the bin... Usually when I get 10 - 15 of em... 3-4 shaves per blade...takes a while lol...
                    posted by scrivz69
                    i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

• Originally posted by cruciate View Post
                      Tainted is making this sound more generous than it is. This was a second hand razor I acquired for not all that much. It's imperfect and could get aggressive if used badly.
                      So it's not generous really, I just wanted to laugh at Tainted when he posts on here about his new skin graft!

Seriously though, you've helped loads of people on here. I had a spare Futur, you liked them. It made sense.
                      Glad you are happy with it
                      I don't think I'm overstating it. You're definitely underselling your generosity!

This razor is an awesome piece of kit and feels / looks like the beast it is. I really appreciate the sentiment mate and can only hope I've helped as many people find something that they enjoy doing. You're doing a sterling job of it yourself now both here and elsewhere!

Thanks again mate.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.

15 2500k | H60 Cooler | 8GB RAM | GTX 660 Direct CU II OC

Comment

• Originally posted by WR1989UK View Post
                        Well, the final bits and bobs arrived today so I quickly rushed home so I could start shaving and see what all the fuss was about.

All I can say is, WOW!

On joker's advice I went slow to begin with but for some reason I didn't find it difficult to shave with at all, it was incredibly easy so long as I took my time. The blades were so sharp I didn't have to use much pressure and it glided off my face. After the first pass with the grain I decided to try against the grain, and after lathering up again I tried at the bottom of my sideburns and found that reasonably easy as well so continued over my entire face. The one thing I am always nervous about is shaving my adam's apple and that awful bum chin I inherited from my old man, but alas, it was dead easy to shave over and I found it much more simple to cover those areas than with a Gilette because of the smaller surface area of the razor.

Now, I have a face as soft as a baby's bottom, no nicks or cuts and none of the uncomfortableness or discomfort I often felt with a Gilette Fusion or similar razor. I am so impressed with this way of shaving that I had to call my Dad and boss to tell them what they are missing out on. I was certainly expecting to be cutting myself up to high heaven but I haven't got a single nick, I'm really happy with it.

Here's my kit if you didn't see the links before:

I really liked the cream, it's got a great scent and is exactly how I would expect a manly shaving cream to smell like lol. Can't believe how much of a lather such a small amount produces, there's a few shaves worth in there!
                        The razor was easy to handle and very simple for me to set up, and as a noob that was helpful.
                        The blades were very sharp as mentioned above and I found them much more effective than anything I'd used before. (QUESTION: What's the safest way to dispose of the razors? I don't want someone to hurt themselves.)
                        The brush did the job, it wasn't too smelly thankfully however I did give it a good wash to make sure.

Hopefully if a few more pennies come my way, I shall be investing in a stand similar to this to complete my kit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Executive-Sh...253039&sr=8-15

FINALLY, I'd like to say thanks to the guys that have helped me decide on what to purchase and helped me along the way. I know it seems a bit naff but this is going to be something I do for the next god knows how many years and I can already feel a difference by using the D/E Razor and no doubt my skin will no longer be destroyed and rough lol
                        That looks like a great kit there. The guy who helped you pick that kit was definitely a handsome man with wisdom beyond his years. I'm really glad it's went well from the get-go mate as that kit was not cheap but would appear to be a worthwhile investment for you!

As for the blade disposal; some of the blade packs you'll get if you get that sample pack you were thinking of getting have a little under-carriage that allows you to slide your used blades back into the bottom and aid safe disposal. There are also little blade banks you can buy or you can also use piggy banks, etc.

Great to see another happy convert!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tainted View Post
                          That looks like a great kit there. The guy who helped you pick that kit was definitely a handsome man with wisdom beyond his years. I'm really glad it's went well from the get-go mate as that kit was not cheap but would appear to be a worthwhile investment for you!

As for the blade disposal; some of the blade packs you'll get if you get that sample pack you were thinking of getting have a little under-carriage that allows you to slide your used blades back into the bottom and aid safe disposal. There are also little blade banks you can buy or you can also use piggy banks, etc.

Great to see another happy convert!
                          I'm just waiting for the cutthroat (straight). Shave lol....
                          posted by scrivz69

Comment

• Originally posted by joker3327 View Post
                            I'm just waiting for the cutthroat (straight). Shave lol....
                            I think we should all make him video it and enjoy the blood-letting! God know's we all owe him a stabbing for the knifing he does on BF3!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tainted View Post
                              I think we should all make him video it and enjoy the blood-letting! God know's we all owe him a stabbing for the knifing he does on BF3!
                              Give it a few months guys and I might be tempted to try it. You all know me, I'll try anything once

Comment

• I fancy trying a straight one day. It would take some courage though.
                                the trails is where life flows best
                                Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

Working...
                                X