Online glasses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online glasses

Has anybody been and had an eye test tried on glasses and then ordered online.

At almost 50% of the cost of the high street store I had my eye test at today, I'm tempted to give it a go.

My glasses are well scratched, being under the bonnet of cars doesn't really help. But paying the massive store premium instead of online just seems a little silly. I was straight onto my phone today once I found a new pair I liked and found them for 108 versus the instore price 231.

Tips? I do plan to call the number on the site to talk to them, figured that most glasses are "plug-n-play" lens of shape X fits frames X.

Thoughts? Experiences?

DT.
    Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
    Forum Guidelines here

I've used glassesdirect several times... great service, option to send them back, and cheap as it gets
    --
    Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

My sound silly but when I was posted to Cyprus my Dad came over to visit and got a new pair of glasses over there...they were 250 cheaper than the same in the UK...now he ties his yearly eye test in with a holiday to Cyprus lol...
      posted by scrivz69
      I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
      i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

I have considered it, but always figured i'd mess up somewhere

Comment

My optician is a small local one, and they do a great job looking after me, so I'm happy to stump up the cash particularly as I have strong hyperopia and several complications. It's probably more viable with specs than contacts, and if you have a relatively simple prescription it's probably worth the gamble, but I certainly wouldn't do it.
          Gaming :: Intel Core i7 5820K, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5, Gigabyte GTX1070, 16GB Crucial 2400MHz DDR4, Corsair H100, BlackGold BGT3620 DVB-T2, Dell U2410, Fractal Arc Midi R2, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Red 4TB, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Logitech X-230, Seasonic X-650, G900, G510s, 10 Pro x64
          Work :: Dell Precision M6800, Intel Core i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, AMD FirePro M6100, 17" 1920x1080, 10 Pro x64

Comment

Looking at getting the memoRay Ray Ban. I had some "bendy" frames before and loved them until I lost them on the Tigger trip. The Oakleys have been comfortable to wear and introduced me to frames that don't hook around the ear, but I've also damaged the lenses and frames. My prescription hasn't changed so I don't need new frames, but I tried the Ray Ban frames and liked them, but not the price considering what I've done to the Oakleys, so out came the smart phone

the place I've found the ones I like is actually a shop in Bolton, company formed and running for five years looking at companies house - and a phone number where they might be able to convince me

DT.
            Forum Guidelines here

Comment

If you do have a go, let us know how you get on
              Gaming :: Intel Core i7 5820K, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5, Gigabyte GTX1070, 16GB Crucial 2400MHz DDR4, Corsair H100, BlackGold BGT3620 DVB-T2, Dell U2410, Fractal Arc Midi R2, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Red 4TB, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Logitech X-230, Seasonic X-650, G900, G510s, 10 Pro x64
              Work :: Dell Precision M6800, Intel Core i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, AMD FirePro M6100, 17" 1920x1080, 10 Pro x64

Comment

GlassesDirect here as well, I have reading, long distance and sun glasses from them, they are doing a 2 for 1 sale at the moment.

http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/home1...esdirect_Exact

Comment

My missus has had her last half dozen pairs from online stores, at a fraction of the cost of the high street.
                  She says there's absolutely no difference as far as she can tell.
                  I say go for it

Comment

i get totally robbed by specsavers

Comment

IIRC, the guy who started GlassesDirect is only a young lad. He's worth a fortune now. My Mum had a pair of glasses from Tesco. Shocking service - She went back three times to complain they weren't right and three times they just fobbed her off. On the fourth return visit they finally admitted they had fitted the frames with somebody else's prescription!
                      New! ASUS P8Z-68 V-Pro, i5-2500k, Mushkin 120gb SSD, Samsung 1tb HDD, GTX 460 1gb, 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (4x4), Asus Xonar DG, Corsair H50, Win 7 Home 64.

Ladies! If a man says he'll fix something - he will. He doesn't need reminding about it every six months, OK?

Comment

I rang the company that runs the site I found the glasses, and I emailed them a scan of my prescription as a result. They've confirmed and reply within four hours ish, which is pretty good to get the optician to read the email to check them. I even google stree viewed and companies house checked as well, very paranoid with this one for some reason

Order now placed though

DT.
                        Forum Guidelines here

Comment

went and fetched them from the DHL depot this afternoon, and I'm now wearing them after some very slight adjustments. I have to say I think I'll be doing this again if I need a new pair, the saving is just
                          Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Working...
                          X