Anybody Help? Sky+ HD Black Screen :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody Help? Sky+ HD Black Screen :(

And no.. please don't say, "Go to Virgin" LOL!

Had Sky for a few weeks now, no issues until yesterday. It was set to play through the HDMI 3 port on our TV but now all we get is black or blue screen.

Phoned SKY, unplugged all cables, put them all back in, swopped ends around etc etc but no joy. Initially the Customer Services lady said we'd have to wait SEVEN DAYS for an engineer! I told her that was unacceptable and she got us a visit booked for this coming Tuesday.

Anybody had this problem? Did you manage to solve it? I've got three kids here on their school holidays with no TV AAAAGGGHHHH!
    New! ASUS P8Z-68 V-Pro, i5-2500k, Mushkin 120gb SSD, Samsung 1tb HDD, GTX 460 1gb, 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (4x4), Asus Xonar DG, Corsair H50, Win 7 Home 64.

Ladies! If a man says he'll fix something - he will. He doesn't need reminding about it every six months, OK?

Sounds like a hardware failure. Do you not have a spare/older box you could use temporarily?

Umar
    PC1: Q6600 - 4GB DDR2-800 - ATI HD4850 1GB
    PC2: X2 3800 - 1GB DDR-400 - ATI 9250 256mb
    HTPC: E6600 - 2GB DDR2-533 - ATI HD5450 512mb

Comment

Have you tried another hdmi port?

Are there any lights illuminated on the front of the box?

Does the red light come on the remote when you press the buttons?

Have you tried rebooting the box?

Have you tried the buttons on the box rather than the remote?

A few obvious ones, but sometimes it's something simples ......
      flickr | Pootling Pics | Instagram

Comment

Thanks guys.

We are new to Sky, only changed about a month ago.

We've tried everything (I think). All cables and leads out, and back in again. We only have one HDMI input on the TV (so I've since found)

The lights on the set top box work OK it seems. The remote communicates properly with the set box box, and I've rebooted the set box (even get the 'Wait - Sky + HD is rebooting' or whatever it says on the screen) but after completing that it goes blank again.

I was astonished when they tried to get me to agree to waiting a week for an engineer. Hopefully on Tuesday they will fix it on the first visit and we can put it down to a one off dodgy set top box. Still, we watched Life of Brian last night, The Matrix tonight and Hunt for Red October is lined up for tomorrow - it's not all bad
        New! ASUS P8Z-68 V-Pro, i5-2500k, Mushkin 120gb SSD, Samsung 1tb HDD, GTX 460 1gb, 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (4x4), Asus Xonar DG, Corsair H50, Win 7 Home 64.

Ladies! If a man says he'll fix something - he will. He doesn't need reminding about it every six months, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by MagicEvie View Post
          And no.. please don't say, "Go to Virgin" LOL!
          Sorry got to say it, should have gone Freesat HD and built a media centre pc

Seriously though I've never had Sky, won't pay their prices (although they have dropped in recent years), but I have heard that the boxes can be quite unreliable, hope they fix it on Tuesday for you.

Comment

Can you get into any of the menus?

Services work?

Comment

Nope, Smifis. Nada. Sadly not.

Comment

Although there has been a tech problem with your box, I don't know what the adviser said to you but it really depends on how busy engineers are around your area. if you got a job reference number you could call installs first thing Monday morning to get a sooner date but then again if the engineer is coming Tuesday then fair enough. You will also be able to get a loss of viewing credit from the date it stopped working until the date it got fixed. How much do you currently pay per month and i could tell you how much you should be due back?
                Currently Do Not Have A Rig!

Comment

Thanks callumburns - will Sky be able to determine when it failed? It actually failed Saturday afternoon - but I hadn't noticed / ignored the kids thinking it was a ploy to distract me from starting their bed time routine :/

Do you just divide the TV bill by the number of days in the month then multiply by the days it was borked for, I'm thinking?

EDIT: Sky man has been. I was at work, but apparently it was the HDMI port on the TV. He found another one in the back - plugged SKY into that and voila. Best talk to Curry's about the TV now :groan:
                  Last edited by MagicEvie; 26-07-11, 14:36.

Comment

Working...
                  X