• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by scrivz69 View Post
    This is just weird.
    You can print your own here: http://i.imgur.com/Z8lZnoK.jpg
    Follow me @twitter

Comment

• So I had an idea recently, that we spend a lot of our time nowadays pressing buttons. The button is the magic between our fingers and the things we want done. We all learn how to operate machines by pressing buttons but never give a thought to why such a simple action of touching a button causes the machine to do what we want. So I've started work on an animation which demonstrates what actually occurs inside various machines when we perform the simple act of pressing a button. Some of my research into the subject has involved Youtube videos, and one of the machines I intend to animate is a typical lift in a multistorey building, complete with machine room and shaft.

Hence, the following video appeared in my list of recommended videos from Youtube.

If you are afraid of lifts, do not watch. If you are not afraid of lifts, prepare to become afraid of lifts!

Last edited by Col; 27-05-15, 19:00.

Check out my latest Steam Workshop creations here

Comment

• Originally posted by Col View Post
        So I had an idea recently, that we spend a lot of our time nowadays pressing buttons. The button is the magic between our fingers and the things we want done. We all learn how to operate machines by pressing buttons but never give a thought to why such a simple action of touching a button causes the machine to do what we want. So I've started work on an animation which demonstrates what actually occurs inside various machines when we perform the simple act of pressing a button.
        most people probably wouldn't, but there's a fair few scientists and engineers on here (physics journalists, programmers, sysadmins, electrical engineers, mechanics, etc) and I think those kind of professions lend themselves to wanting to understand the process behind technology.

nice idea for a YouTube channel though

Comment

• On this forum, you're right, but I've just been noticing recently how someone will go to press a button and what they want to happen doesn't happen, so they press the button again, and again it doesn't work. They end up very confused and often infuriated, because they don't realise that the problem is unlikely to be the button. Also recently, I've been noticing that, when I show something to somebody on my laptop, they start dragging their fingers across the display and pressing against it, and I have to explain to them that it's not a touchscreen.

I could go on. That's one reason why I show my nephew my old games consoles when he comes round here. He has a Hudl 2, but I think it's good for him to know how his games go to the point where they are now and not everything is touch sensitive.

I feel like I grew up at just the right time. I missed the era where computers were scary and complicated and difficult to use, but was born just early enough to see how technology has advanced to incorporating few moving parts and using intuitive UIs, among other things.

Check out my latest Steam Workshop creations here

Comment

• Originally posted by Col View Post
            tton. Also recently, I've been noticing that, when I show something to somebody on my laptop, they start dragging their fingers across the display and pressing against it, and I have to explain to them that it's not a touchscreen.
            I caught my 6 year old nephew trying to two-finger pinch zoom ... when reading a paper book
            Follow me @twitter

Comment

• Originally posted by mikerr View Post
              I caught my 6 year old nephew trying to two-finger pinch zoom ... when reading a paper book

Comment

• I missed the era where computers were scary and complicated and difficult to use
                Really? They frighten me more now than they ever did.
                Mind you that is the standard of programming rather than the machines.
                I've not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that don't work!
                Dave Burnett

Comment

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A_QPGcjrh0
                  My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

Comment

• YouTube has an 8k video (that almost no one can watch)

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/10/youtube-8k-video/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLprVF6d7Ug

Comment

• Check out my latest Steam Workshop creations here

Comment

• I do actually miss old tech

edit: though I don't miss programming on them. I'll take modern compilers over machine code on the old BASIC machines any day

Comment

• What a terrible video. Every point in it is ridiculous.

Comment

• All the robots fell at that competition, but ONLY ONE robot got up again from a fall:

(0:50 - 1:10)
                            Follow me @twitter

Comment

• Originally posted by heavywater View Post
                              What a terrible video. Every point in it is ridiculous.
                              Yeah, and with a few racist jokes thrown in for good measure.

I do still miss "the good old days" though.

Comment

• Originally posted by cold fusion View Post
                                Yeah, and with a few racist jokes thrown in for good measure.

I do still miss "the good old days" though.
                                Yeah, but it would be awful if we were still in them.

Comment

Working...
                                X