HD slowed right down and has now crashed system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD slowed right down and has now crashed system

So the past couple weeks my main work station's storage drive, a 2TB something has gotten really slow.

Just playing some LawBreakers and the whole system crashed.
    Now this HD is not showing in My Computer and is asking to be initialised in Disk Management.

What is the best way for me to go about getting my files back?

Restore the files from your backup

You do have a backup right ?
    --
    Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Without a backup, preferably several, there's not a lot you can do.

First step, stop using it.

Put in a new drive, remove the dead one, then throw some recovery tools at it. I like the stuff from EaseUS.

Then start praying.
      Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
      Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
      Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

There was a trick that occasionally worked on older drives, not sure if it still works and should be considered a "last resort" as it could kill the drive further.

Remove drive from system.
        Place in airtight sealed bag - like a sealable sandwich bag with all the air squeezed out.
        Place in freezer overnight.
        Next day, remove from freezer, wrap in towel, and connect to system and run recovery tools asap before it warms up too much.

Any condensation could kill it (hence the bag, and the towel!), but at this point you've already written it off
        --
        Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

That was for bad bearings. This sounds more like loads of malware!!
          I've not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that don't work!
          Dave Burnett

Comment

piriform's recuva is worth a shot, if the drive is readable by the bios
            --

Comment

Yeah, also Easeus software is worth taking a look at!

Originally posted by coiler
              Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Working...
              X