Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HD Tune trustworthy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HD Tune trustworthy?

    While HD Tune's sector checking tool is great, the SMART readings are a bit... odd.

    On every hard drive in the house there's at least one warning next to something, even when there's 0 data there.

    I've tried the manufacturer's diagnostic tools, WinDlg, CrystalDiskInfo etc and everything shows up as spotless.

    Is HD Tune just bugged?
    Dell Vostro 3560 | Intel Core i3-3110m 2.4GHz | 8GB RAM | HD4000 graphics | Crucial M4 64GB | Windows 7 Professional

  • #2
    I've not had any problems with it, maybe some other members can give you some better information
    www.Scott-H.co.uk
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Theninjagecko View Post
      I've not had any problems with it, maybe some other members can give you some better information
      Same here, been using it for a while now. If the manufacturer's tool shows its fine then I'd go by that.
      CPU:Intel I7 3770K 5GHZ |CPU Cooler:Noctua NH D14|RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance White LP|MB:Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3|GPU:Asus GTX 980 Strix OC|PSU: Corsair AX 750|HDD:2x Corsair 240GB Force GS| 2X WD 2TB Red|Sound Card:Asus Xonar HDAV|Speakers:Sony STR-DN850+Yamaha Speakers+Tannoy TS2.10|Mouse/Keyboard:Corsair K95/M95|Case:Corsair 500R|

      Comment


      • #4
        SMART data can't be reset, once a drive makes an error it shows a warning for the life of the drive
        it could something as simple as a CRC error caused by a iffy SATA cable but it will show for the life


        if diagnostic tools show the drive is fine and it's not clocking up errors all the time don't worry about it

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by spleenharvester View Post
          While HD Tune's sector checking tool is great, the SMART readings are a bit... odd.

          On every hard drive in the house there's at least one warning next to something, even when there's 0 data there.

          I've tried the manufacturer's diagnostic tools, WinDlg, CrystalDiskInfo etc and everything shows up as spotless.

          Is HD Tune just bugged?
          I've had the same thing here, but the driveres weren't showing any errors and hw no bad sectors so i tried every diagnostic in SeaTools and all was reported as fine.

          Comment


          • #6
            Spinrite 6. Works well for error checking and fixing.

            Also works in its own dos so no silly windows error.
            Intel i5 4670k | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming | G-skill Sniper 8gb | EVGA ​670 FTW + KFA 670 EX OC | Crucial M4 128gb | Noctua NH-D14| Silverstone Raven 2| Corsair tx 650w

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sniperdude View Post
              SMART data can't be reset, once a drive makes an error it shows a warning for the life of the drive
              it could something as simple as a CRC error caused by a iffy SATA cable but it will show for the life


              if diagnostic tools show the drive is fine and it's not clocking up errors all the time don't worry about it
              yeah I have 3 drives perm showing crc error nothing wrong with the drives at all, just got batch of dodgy sata cables

              4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

              Comment


              • #8
                We tend to use HDtune alongside manufacture recomended software. Its not unusual to have a drive with smart warnings and for it to work without fault for years.

                Its the lovely error message you need to watch out for more than anything, but multiple warnings may be worth an RMA.

                Comment


                • #9
                  It gets weirder and weirder.

                  I have 2*Toshiba MK1656GSY drives right here. Read and write rates are fine on both. No bad sectors. Every diagnostic program under the sun tells me they are both fine.

                  Yet HD Tune shows an absolutely rediculous amount of UDMA transfer errors, I'm talking millions for both drives. And this number is constantly rising.

                  I've tried it in two different PCs with completely different cables and still the error count is rising.

                  It says "Current: 100 Worst: 100 Data: 3161604"

                  Could it just be that HD Tune is reading the data wrong? I just can't believe that two identical drives have two identical problems.
                  Dell Vostro 3560 | Intel Core i3-3110m 2.4GHz | 8GB RAM | HD4000 graphics | Crucial M4 64GB | Windows 7 Professional

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by spleenharvester View Post
                    It gets weirder and weirder.

                    I have 2*Toshiba MK1656GSY drives right here. Read and write rates are fine on both. No bad sectors. Every diagnostic program under the sun tells me they are both fine.

                    Yet HD Tune shows an absolutely rediculous amount of UDMA transfer errors, I'm talking millions for both drives. And this number is constantly rising.

                    I've tried it in two different PCs with completely different cables and still the error count is rising.

                    It says "Current: 100 Worst: 100 Data: 3161604"

                    Could it just be that HD Tune is reading the data wrong? I just can't believe that two identical drives have two identical problems.


                    it's possible

                    4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Looking around it seems to be a common occurence with Toshiba 2.5" drives. Some people have reported 300,000,000+ UDMA errors in SMART without any signs of the drive corrupting anything or otherwise being faulty.

                      So so frustrating. I was given two PCs to resell. Got home and the one is completely dead, the other booting and not displaying. Was hoping I could get them a bit of money back. :/
                      Dell Vostro 3560 | Intel Core i3-3110m 2.4GHz | 8GB RAM | HD4000 graphics | Crucial M4 64GB | Windows 7 Professional

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Also, one very interesting occurrence. The drives are both labelled and reported to be 160GB MK1656GSY drives.

                        But on the small print further across the label, they're labelled as MK5056GSY 500GB drives.

                        Perhaps they're MK5056GSY drives with platters removed?
                        Dell Vostro 3560 | Intel Core i3-3110m 2.4GHz | 8GB RAM | HD4000 graphics | Crucial M4 64GB | Windows 7 Professional

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X