X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggest an SSD

Hi,

Could you suggest a very good SSD ??
    I am planning to spent around 200... wouldn't mind to spent a few more for a better (which worth's it)

So, any suggestions?

Nearly everyone on this forum is a fan of the Crucial M4. They're highly recommended.
    ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Agreed. <200 it's hard to argue against this : http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/...roductId=49441
      --
      Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

+1 M4 256GB are a steal. http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Stora...roductId=44260

Comment

Sorry guys,
          apparently I am missing something...
          Why do you suggest SSD's with 415-260 read-write?? I have seen SSD's with 550-500 read-write on the same price (120GB) though...

Is there something I don't get with SSD's????

Thanks for your replies

Comment

Most manufacturers quote speeds for "compressable data" which don't necessarily reflect real world speeds.

Crucial quote real world
            --
            Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

The one I described was Corsair.. thought they were good...
              In that case the one you suggested seems very good.. plus the 256GB
              What is IOPS?

Comment

iops - number of operations (reads/writes) per second.

throughput is measured in MB/s for large file transfers
                iops gives a measure of how fast very random access for very small files is.
                --

Comment

Originally posted by antonio69 View Post
                  Sorry guys,
                  apparently I am missing something...
                  Why do you suggest SSD's with 415-260 read-write?? I have seen SSD's with 550-500 read-write on the same price (120GB) though...

Is there something I don't get with SSD's????

Thanks for your replies
                  them speeds are also wrong they was the speeds before a firmware update speeded up the speeds to 550MB/Sec, Write Speed: 300MB/Sec

also I think aria need to update its prices as unusually aria are one of the must expensive retailers on this item

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceboy View Post
                    iops - number of operations (reads/writes) per second.

throughput is measured in MB/s for large file transfers
                    iops gives a measure of how fast very random access for very small files is.
                    so the higher the IOPS the better?

Comment

as above dude the M4 all the way, bought one myself and not looked back

Comment

The Mushkin drives look very nice as well. The Mushkin Chronos 240GB SSD is under 200 and looks like a steal to me
                        || Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro (B3) || CPU: i7 2600k || Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 580 Super OC || Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB || SSD: Corsair Force 3 120GB || HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB || CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 || Power Supply: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P9 750W || Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D || Monitor(s): Dell U2410 + HP w1907v || Keyboard: Logitech G510 || Mouse: Razer DeathAdder

Comment

Originally posted by antonio69 View Post
                          so the higher the IOPS the better?
                          Yup, although actually it's really more relevant to enterprise usage, even the low-end current SSDs probably have plenty of IOPS for single-user operating system usage. As spaceboy said the max read/write figures can be confusing / misleading and are generally overrated as a metric anyway, I'd always recommend going for quality trusted brands with a good reputation for an SSD, and the crucial drives are right up there with Intel's SSDs in terms of having a good reputation for reliability and good 'real world' performance.

Comment

Originally posted by yassarikhan786 View Post
                            The Mushkin drives look very nice as well. The Mushkin Chronos 240GB SSD is under 200 and looks like a steal to me
                            I just bought a 120GB Mushkin Chronos for 85, I must say the speed increase from my Spinpoint F3 HDD is phenomenal! Windows boots in under 30 secs (15 secs of that is the BIOS screen) and is usable straight away. To be honest I don't think I would notice the difference between SSD speeds compared to the difference between a HDD and SSD, so I would just go for whichever is best value for money at the capacity you want
                            i5 2500k | 16GB RAM | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC | 256GB + 240GB SSDs | 1TB + 3TB HDDs | Define R5 Black | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz + BenQ 24" 1080p 144Hz

Comment

The general consensus around the forums I'm on is that the M4 represents a good all round buy in terms of performance, reliability and longevity but I don't think there will be a great deal between similarly priced drives in real world applications. I bought a 128GB M4 and the difference from a mechanical drive is amazing, made my fairly tired PC much more pleasant to use.

Comment

Working...
                              X