Spec me a NAS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spec me a NAS

My old man has a huge CD collection and he wants to put them all on a NAS drive. I think it's about 2TB's worth in total but i want it to Raid 1 so would require 2 x 2TB drives.
    It needs to be fast access, so from standby or whatever it's sleep state is to access needs to be pretty instant as he has no patience. We had one years ago and from sleep was about 30 seconds to a minute to access so that lasted all of 2 minutes.
    It's going to be accessed by a Sonos system to view the catalog and play tracks so there is a little bit of artwork media etc in there also but mainly lossless audio (not sure on what format yet but could be 60MB per track!)

The Synology TS216 looks good and gets good reviews but anyone have any suggestions?

Originally posted by Aria
    On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

If you want one that's instant access, forget sleep mode or switching it off.

With Synology, you pay through the roof for bells and whistles you probably won't need and the brand name. So unless you actually need any of those things, I'd suggest just going with a decent nas with a couple of 1Gb network ports you can bond together if really needed - spend the rest on hard drives. We've got an 8Tb Buffalo Terasation at work (although it's in RAID5, so only get about 5.5-6Tb of usable space). It's been on for the last 2 years and been totally reliable. I've got it set up with a 2Gb connection (2x1gb bonded) and it's been a great buy.

Originally posted by coiler
    Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Bonded network ports!? You lost me...
      I have a gigabit network running through the house so if you are saying i have to plug 2 gigabit connections into it then that's possible.

I guess sleep or low power mode is out then, that's not a problem. My problem is how the hell to i get all this onto the drives and organise it. I need a program that does it all for me, all i do is stick the disk in and away it goes.

On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

doesn't Amazon Music Storage cover that exact scenario?
        Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
        Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleTop View Post
          doesn't Amazon Music Storage cover that exact scenario?
          Yes, I have looked into that. Having it cloud based also means i could use Alexa to call up the songs but he doesnt want that. He wants it all local so not dependant on the internet. (Not that he has an issue with it, just doesnt see the point when we could have it stored locally)

Comment

Plex? erm do all these cd's need converting to files to store? or is that already done?

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Plex was on my list to look at today actually.
              The CD's need converting yes, All in flight cases at the moment from his DJ days!

Comment

Bonded network ports only work if the switch supports it..

Originally posted by coiler
                Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                  Bonded network ports only work if the switch supports it..
                  Dont think so https://www.netgear.com/business/pro...#tab-techspecs

Plex looks amazing! I'm going to install that tonight on the home server and see if it works. If it does that means i only need a couple of new drives for it and run them in a raid.

Comment

Must admit I used to have a music and media server..... but just recently ie the last year I have switched to Google Play Music... you can store up to 50,000 tracks.... ( up to 300mb per Track ) and also amazon prime music.
                    posted by scrivz69
                    I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
                    i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

I did it another way - Music Magpie or webuyanybooks check to see if they would give me cash - if yes and the album is on Spotify - bye bye cd
                      Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
                      Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Seem's we are moving away from physical storage as a society.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Originally posted by M4T VW View Post
                          My old man has a huge CD collection and he wants to put them all on a NAS drive. I think it's about 2TB's worth in total but i want it to Raid 1 so would require 2 x 2TB drives.
                          Enough room for growth in there?

This task does not need anything flashy and expensive. I have done it on cheap ZyXel (NSA325) boxes.

The challenge is in the hours it takes to rip CDs. Something like Media Monkey can help to organise the music as you rip.

Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
                          Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
                          Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Working...
                          X