The SSD Holy Grail Is On My Desk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The SSD Holy Grail Is On My Desk

Maybe not the actual holy grail, but it's pretty good...

Originally posted by coiler
    Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

2TB? *drool*
    i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

Indeed... 2050Gb - 2.5% extra free..

I'm now trying to work out whether people would notice if I swapped my relatively speedy 2Tb drive at home and put that in the server rather than this one..

Comment

my 120gb is getting a little low on space, SEND TO MEEEE!
        Originally posted by Aaron
        I want those sweet cherries

Comment

You had your chance. You had this very drive in your possession yesterday.

Comment

It was a thing of pure beauty !
            Originally posted by Aaron
            I want those sweet cherries

Comment

For super quick seedy viewings of pr0n?
              i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

Sata? Bit slow for an operating system.
                Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
                Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
                Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Jeez 2GB SSD, few pennies?
                  GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Originally posted by michaelkenward View Post
                    Sata? Bit slow for an operating system.
                    Not really. I think you're just too used to the latest and greatest..

It's going to sit in a server which serves everything over a 1Gb network connection, so the SSD speed really isn't going to be the limiting factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post

It's going to sit in a server which serves everything over a 1Gb network connection, so the SSD speed really isn't going to be the limiting factor.
                      Generally the advantage of SSD on servers (which you mention as the destination for this) is going to be for apps that are going to be doing a lot of local processing, e.g. databases.

Where SSD can help on file sharing are when you have compression turned on. And if it matters, storage density.

Comment

Yeah I know. This has ended up in our HyperV host.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                          Yeah I know. This has ended up in our HyperV host.
                          Good for virtualisation as well, lol

We've got some enterprise flash drives on order at the moment for a CoreOS Tectonic install. Should be arriving in a couple weeks.

Comment

We couldn't quite stretch to enterprise level. But I figure, if the worst happens, I've got backups and all of the VMs replicated elsewhere

Comment

From past experience there isn't a huge difference. More over provisioning and faster controller with SAS instead of SATA is the main thing, Obviously cost difference is the big thing.

I'm just waiting for our eval netapp device to be installed at the moment, 2PB of all flash storage using 15TB SSD but that will be supporting hundreds of servers over 40gb FC. Don't want to think about what the bill would be for that one. Production storage later this year should have moved to 30TB drives.

Comment

Working...
                              X