Bass management / crossover

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass management / crossover

Bit of an obscure question about a surround sound setup - one of you might know the answer...

Basically I have a 5.0 setup, I don't have a sub.

I understand the idea of "Large" and "Small" speakers - if a speaker is set to "Small", the frequencies below the crossover (say, 80Hz for example) are sent to the Sub channel.

What if I don't have a Sub? Are they sent to the speakers designated as "Large"? Or are they lost into the ether?
    Originally posted by coiler
    He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
    Originally posted by BigIan88
    turn off that sexy nonsense
    Originally posted by Salad Soup
    turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Bin it and buy a VAG... that'll have enough bass for you
    i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

Originally posted by BigIan88 View Post
      Bin it and buy a VAG... that'll have enough bass for you
      My VAG has enough bass to shake the rear view mirror enough that you can't focus on it

Can you try each setting and see which one has the best bass?

Originally posted by Aria
      On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

Originally posted by omega View Post
        Bit of an obscure question about a surround sound setup - one of you might know the answer...

Basically I have a 5.0 setup, I don't have a sub.

I understand the idea of "Large" and "Small" speakers - if a speaker is set to "Small", the frequencies below the crossover (say, 80Hz for example) are sent to the Sub channel.

What if I don't have a Sub? Are they sent to the speakers designated as "Large"? Or are they lost into the ether?
        To be honest, there isn't an all encompassing answer to your question. Every amp will be different and deal with these scenarios in the way the manufacturer has set it up.

Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Yeah I'll have a fiddle later (might chance a remap on it... )

Fronts are set as Large and the system sound just fine, enough bass for my liking, but was just curious really about how it works.

'ed I did think that might be the case Aaron. I'll have a tinker and use my ears to determine what's going on
          turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

On mine, I have the fronts set to large (because they are ), the rears set to small (because they are ) and then the crossover for the sub set to 40hz (I think..)

I guess the worst case scenario is that it still thinks you've got a sub, in which case, set the crossover to be as low as you possibly can so that as much as possible goes to the main large speakers.

Is yours an Onkyo, by any chance?

Comment

Yeah I'll have a fiddle later (might chance a remap on it... )

God damn it...
              i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                On mine, I have the fronts set to large (because they are ), the rears set to small (because they are ) and then the crossover for the sub set to 40hz (I think..)

I guess the worst case scenario is that it still thinks you've got a sub, in which case, set the crossover to be as low as you possibly can so that as much as possible goes to the main large speakers.

Is yours an Onkyo, by any chance?
                I can tell it that I don't have a sub, but that's what's making me wonder where the "bass" is going. I've got Large fronts so they get all the frequencies by default as I want, but if I set the crossover fairly high (like 100Hz) will it just flood the fronts with lows from the 'small' satellites? Basically I've got a nice pair of large fronts () and a crappy center. The separation is fine, it sounds lovely but I want to know if I can send the lows destined for the center to the 'nicer' pair.

And yeah it's an Onkyo.

Comment

OK, it's the same settings as what I'll have on mine then.

I'd initially set it like this, so you can have a play:

Front: Large
                  Rears: Small
                  Sub: Yes (I know you don't have one!)
                  Crossover: 80hz

That'll mean the fronts will play everything above 80hz. The rears will have a low cut on them as they're set to small and won't be affected by the corssover freq.

See how it sounds. Then tell it you don't have a sub. See how it sounds.

If you want to fine tune it, switch the sub back on, and then drop the crossover freq until it sounds good. You can also use the crossover that way to protect your main front speakers from having some ridiculously low frequency sent to it..
                  Last edited by Aaron; 03-05-17, 16:52.

Comment

Actually, personally, I'd buy a sub.

Comment

a) I don't have room for a sub
                      b) I don't really like overpowering bass, and I've never had a sub

I've set it on Large fronts, Small center and Small Surrounds, and set crossover to 120Hz, and it sounds good, the front 3 speakers sound like they 'blend' well now, so I'm happy.

Comment

I've also got the AV bug now, after getting a semi decent pair of fronts - this is my first dabble into a 'proper' surround setup, I want to spend moar money on a good centre channel now. RIP my wallet.

Comment

Good for not a huge price are the Q Acoustics 2020i or 2010i. I have both 20s as fronts and 10s as rears. I then have the 2000Ci as a centre and a Diamond SW150 for a sub.
                          Removed my picture as I have now sold it all

Comment

I was looking at the Q Acoustics (2020i or 3020...) but I ended up getting a pair of KEF Q100's as fronts last week, and some old sony jobbies as surrounds. I'm looking at the Q200c as a center as it'll balance nicely with the fronts.

Comment

I was looking at the Q Acoustics (2020i or 3020...) but I ended up getting a pair of KEF Q100's as fronts last week, and some old sony jobbies as surrounds. I'm looking at the Q200c as a center as it'll balance nicely with the fronts.
                              Good man, Kef stuff is great. I had a Q200c and it was amazing so upgraded to the Q600c when i moved house. Running IQ9's for the rear and some reference stuff (cant remember the number) for the fronts. Also running two Monolith Plus -DF for sub's, one front and rear. Thats 1000w of bass

Originally posted by Aria
                              On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

Working...
                              X